Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Radeon AIW 32mb ddr or radeon 64mb ddr?? HELP

Old 01-24-01, 11:13 AM

I have decided on the ati series due to better 2d. I have looked at the benchmarks and only seen a small increase between speed of aiw and 64ddr. I dont think it is worth the trade in overall functionality. Is the 64mb ddr significantly faster the the all in wonder 32mb ddr? Which has better 2d?
Old 01-24-01, 11:34 PM

ATI and good 2D cannot be said in the same sentence (you obviously never seen a Matrox card). Anyway 32 megs or 64 megs will not make 2D look different, you are still using the same chip.

The 64 DDR will be a bit faster than the 32 DDR but not much because 3D games (I assume you are talking about 3D games benchmark?) are not designed to use 64 megs. Later they will probably take ful advantage of 64 megs.
Old 01-25-01, 12:07 AM

I considered matrox but considering its lack in 3d I chose to go with the best all around card. I am really just worried about playing dvds and games on my tv which by the reviews the ati does a good job. Where as the matrox will suffer on 3d games. Also the aiw has many functions the matrox max does not and I cant find the max for much cheaper than the aiw.
Old 01-25-01, 12:28 AM
X
Administrator

Real Boba Fett couldn't be biased toward a French-speaking Canadian video card company headquarted a few miles away from him, could he? Personally, in the USA I stay away from Canadian cards as much as possible due to the cost of tech support phone calls and customs hassles with repairs.
Old 01-25-01, 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by X:
Real Boba Fett couldn't be biased toward a French-speaking Canadian video card company headquarted a few miles away from him, could he?

Nope. My first video card was an ATI (I hated it and it was total crap with LIES written all over the retail box). And forget about tech support if you have an ATI card, being Canadian or not. Don't expect ATI to release drivers often when the Radeon 2 will be released. Matrox, nVidia and 3Dfx (before they "died") release drivers for their old cards. Matrox is still making drivers for the G200, 3Dfx released DirectX7 drivers for my old Voodoo2 card (I didn't expect them to support the card that long). Look at cards like the ATI Rage Fury Maxx (which is not THAT old), no Win2000 support (unbelieveable). On the ATI web site look for Linux support: "not supplied by ATI". It is probably going to work anyway with Linux because other people will code the drivers themselves but ATI is not even making an effort. Matrox has official drivers (still beta). Matrox has an awesome forum if you need some technical support (covering everything, driver requests, Linux support, OpenGL support, video editing...). And they do answer questions.

Then I got a Voodoo2 card (which I still have and still like) but now since I am at University I am into more serious stuff and Matrox was the way to go. It has by far the more Linux features (must have for university), supports dual display, has the sharpest 2D image quality and doesn't cost much. It is not the best card if you only want to play games because it isn't the fastest (but supports EBM). But I still use it to play games and all the games I tried so far runs well (of course they would run even better with a nVidia GeForce2 but I also need good 2D and don't feel like paying that amount of money).

I am not saying you should get a Matrox card, it depends of what you plan to do. If you mainly want to play games, Matrox is not the way to go. I even suggested my uncle to buy a GeForce2 card for his T-Bird 900 so I am not biased. I would say that the real war (if you visit video cards forum) is between nVidia fans and ATI fans (ATI took the place of 3Dfx in the war).
Old 01-25-01, 11:41 AM

Oh and yeah ATI is the best "all-around" card IMO.

Matrox: best 2D by far, slow old 3D (I won't say bad because they were the first to introduce EBM and FSAA!)

nVidia: poor 2D, best 3D

ATI: OK 2D, OK 3D
[Edit: I wrote Matrox the first time ]

[This message has been edited by Real Boba Fett (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-25-01, 01:27 PM

You have matrox twice why?
Old 01-25-01, 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
You have matrox twice why?

oops! The last one is ATI

Old 01-25-01, 07:19 PM

2d between diffrent Radeon cards really shouldn't differ at all. The all in wonder just adds extra features, the 3d core and 2d are basically the same.

Good comparison between 64mb and all in wonder radeon.

www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1302
Old 01-25-01, 07:51 PM

I decided I do want to get the All in Wonder. Now how does the dolbyy output work for that? Will that give me dolby digital or do I need to get a creative labs card?
Old 01-25-01, 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
I decided I do want to get the All in Wonder. Now how does the dolbyy output work for that? Will that give me dolby digital or do I need to get a creative labs card?

Dolby? I could be wrong (I never read much about cards that can do video editing) but I never heard about audio on a video card. You should look at a sound card like a CL SoundBlasters Live (avoid the SB Live 5.1 if you have a Dolby decoder already)