Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Palm or Visor.

Old 01-21-01, 07:36 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Should I get a regular Palm Pilot or go for one of the Visor models. Not sure what the pros and cons are for each model. The Sony Palms look pretty cool as well.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-22-01, 01:48 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 185
I have a Handspring visor and like it a lot. It's pretty much the same as the Palm Pilot, except for the expansion slot in the back. This allows for future expansion of Mp3 players, cell phones, games, memory backups etc...
ShoeBoy is offline  
Old 01-22-01, 02:34 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England (w00t!)
Posts: 7,796
Sweeping generalisation though it may be, the Handspring Visor range is generally better value at any given price point than the corresponding Palm Pilot model. So, unless you've got articular affinity for Pilots, or you can get one on a particularly good deal, the Visor's probably your best bet.

------------------
"I loooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know?"

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
ICQ: 61040969
MSN: [email protected]
TheyCallHimJim is offline  
Old 01-23-01, 01:42 AM
  #4  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,967
quote:
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
Sweeping generalisation though it may be, the Handspring Visor range is generally better value at any given price point than the corresponding Palm Pilot model. So, unless you've got articular affinity for Pilots, or you can get one on a particularly good deal, the Visor's probably your best bet.




maybe so in England, but not so in the US. The Palm's can be bought for much cheaper.

m100 ($149) vs. Visor ($179)
IIIxe ($199) vs. Visor Deluxe ($249)
IIIc ($329) vs. Visor Prism ($449)

Palm Vx ($399) and VIIx ($399) don't really have Visor counterparts;
likewise, the Visor Platinum ($299) doesn't have a Palm counterpart.

The Visors, as previously noted, are expandable, and this should really be the only reason for choosing a Visor over a Palm, which is what I did. However, there are not too many springboards available yet, and they are quite expensive. I bought a voice recorder springboard and plan on purchasing an mp3 player, a wireless phone, a GPS tracker, and a digital camera ...

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?


[This message has been edited by namja (edited January 22, 2001).]
namja is offline  
Old 01-23-01, 05:00 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Thanks for the advice. I went and did some comparisons for myself today and ended up going with the Sony Clie over the Visor. The expansions for the Visor were cool, but I honestly would probably never need them. The Sony won out because of the extra 8 Megs on the Memory Stick, the jog dial, and the fact it was the only model that had a backlight. Something I will really need. I paid $299.99 at Office Depot and I get a $50 rebate and a free leather case from Sony. Now if I can just learn how to write in with a stylus I will be alright.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-24-01, 11:56 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 308
Is Sony Clie running on PalmOS???
ninelives is offline  
Old 01-25-01, 12:03 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
quote:
Originally posted by ninelives:
Is Sony Clie running on PalmOS???



Yes it runs 3.5. Nice little unit I am very pleased with its performance. The color model should be out sometime this year as well. Though I really don't know if most people need a color palm.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-25-01, 03:27 AM
  #8  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,967
quote:
Originally posted by darkside:
Thanks for the advice. I went and did some comparisons for myself today and ended up going with the Sony Clie over the Visor. The expansions for the Visor were cool, but I honestly would probably never need them. The Sony won out because of the extra 8 Megs on the Memory Stick, the jog dial, and the fact it was the only model that had a backlight. Something I will really need...




Actually ALL Palms and Visors are backlit. I own a Palm and a Visor. Not that the Sony Clie is a bad choice.

One drawback about the Clie is that the extra 8MB on the memory stick is for storage only. You CANNOT run applications from it. If you have apps on it, you must transfer it to the resident memory before you can run it. A major pain if you have a lot of apps, but still, it's extra storage space.

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
namja is offline  
Old 01-25-01, 05:45 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
quote:
Originally posted by namja:

Actually ALL Palms and Visors are backlit. I own a Palm and a Visor. Not that the Sony Clie is a bad choice.

One drawback about the Clie is that the extra 8MB on the memory stick is for storage only. You CANNOT run applications from it. If you have apps on it, you must transfer it to the resident memory before you can run it. A major pain if you have a lot of apps, but still, it's extra storage space.




The Palms I looked at had inverted backlighting which didn't seem that great in really low light. The Sony has a true indiglo type backlight and can be read in total darkness. Maybe I missed it if they have the feature on the Palms though.

Sony released an autorun program that automatically copies programs over to the main memory and runs them and then removes them back to the memory stick when you are done. As long as a megabyte or two are left open on the main memory you can run programs from the stick. I am just using it to store ebooks and other files though.

I actually found lots of things I liked about the Palm, Visor, and Clie and any of them would be a good choice. The Clie just happened to be closer to my personal needs and the price was right.


darkside is offline  
Old 01-25-01, 05:57 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England (w00t!)
Posts: 7,796
The "inverted backlight" is one of the few really sucky things about the new Palms; in the dark, it works fine, but in medium light levels, it makes it virtually impossible to read the screen properly. The contrast of the screen itself is pretty good, though, so you can get away without using the backlight until it gets quite dark, by which point the backlighting will actually start to be useful, but it's still annoying...
TheyCallHimJim is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.