Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Palm or Visor.

Old 01-21-01, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should I get a regular Palm Pilot or go for one of the Visor models. Not sure what the pros and cons are for each model. The Sony Palms look pretty cool as well.
Old 01-22-01, 01:48 PM

I have a Handspring visor and like it a lot. It's pretty much the same as the Palm Pilot, except for the expansion slot in the back. This allows for future expansion of Mp3 players, cell phones, games, memory backups etc...
Old 01-22-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sweeping generalisation though it may be, the Handspring Visor range is generally better value at any given price point than the corresponding Palm Pilot model. So, unless you've got articular affinity for Pilots, or you can get one on a particularly good deal, the Visor's probably your best bet.

------------------
"I loooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know?"

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-23-01, 01:42 AM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
Sweeping generalisation though it may be, the Handspring Visor range is generally better value at any given price point than the corresponding Palm Pilot model. So, unless you've got articular affinity for Pilots, or you can get one on a particularly good deal, the Visor's probably your best bet.

maybe so in England, but not so in the US. The Palm's can be bought for much cheaper.

m100 ($149) vs. Visor ($179)
IIIxe ($199) vs. Visor Deluxe ($249)
IIIc ($329) vs. Visor Prism ($449)

Palm Vx ($399) and VIIx ($399) don't really have Visor counterparts;
likewise, the Visor Platinum ($299) doesn't have a Palm counterpart.

The Visors, as previously noted, are expandable, and this should really be the only reason for choosing a Visor over a Palm, which is what I did. However, there are not too many springboards available yet, and they are quite expensive. I bought a voice recorder springboard and plan on purchasing an mp3 player, a wireless phone, a GPS tracker, and a digital camera ...

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?

[This message has been edited by namja (edited January 22, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the advice. I went and did some comparisons for myself today and ended up going with the Sony Clie over the Visor. The expansions for the Visor were cool, but I honestly would probably never need them. The Sony won out because of the extra 8 Megs on the Memory Stick, the jog dial, and the fact it was the only model that had a backlight. Something I will really need. I paid $299.99 at Office Depot and I get a $50 rebate and a free leather case from Sony. Now if I can just learn how to write in with a stylus I will be alright.
Old 01-24-01, 11:56 PM

Is Sony Clie running on PalmOS???
Old 01-25-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by ninelives:
Is Sony Clie running on PalmOS???

Yes it runs 3.5. Nice little unit I am very pleased with its performance. The color model should be out sometime this year as well. Though I really don't know if most people need a color palm.
Old 01-25-01, 03:27 AM
Stealth Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by darkside:
Thanks for the advice. I went and did some comparisons for myself today and ended up going with the Sony Clie over the Visor. The expansions for the Visor were cool, but I honestly would probably never need them. The Sony won out because of the extra 8 Megs on the Memory Stick, the jog dial, and the fact it was the only model that had a backlight. Something I will really need...

Actually ALL Palms and Visors are backlit. I own a Palm and a Visor. Not that the Sony Clie is a bad choice.

One drawback about the Clie is that the extra 8MB on the memory stick is for storage only. You CANNOT run applications from it. If you have apps on it, you must transfer it to the resident memory before you can run it. A major pain if you have a lot of apps, but still, it's extra storage space.

------------------
DEFENDER OF THE OTHER FORUM
what's your job at the other forum?
Old 01-25-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by namja:

Actually ALL Palms and Visors are backlit. I own a Palm and a Visor. Not that the Sony Clie is a bad choice.

One drawback about the Clie is that the extra 8MB on the memory stick is for storage only. You CANNOT run applications from it. If you have apps on it, you must transfer it to the resident memory before you can run it. A major pain if you have a lot of apps, but still, it's extra storage space.

The Palms I looked at had inverted backlighting which didn't seem that great in really low light. The Sony has a true indiglo type backlight and can be read in total darkness. Maybe I missed it if they have the feature on the Palms though.

Sony released an autorun program that automatically copies programs over to the main memory and runs them and then removes them back to the memory stick when you are done. As long as a megabyte or two are left open on the main memory you can run programs from the stick. I am just using it to store ebooks and other files though.

I actually found lots of things I liked about the Palm, Visor, and Clie and any of them would be a good choice. The Clie just happened to be closer to my personal needs and the price was right.

Old 01-25-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The "inverted backlight" is one of the few really sucky things about the new Palms; in the dark, it works fine, but in medium light levels, it makes it virtually impossible to read the screen properly. The contrast of the screen itself is pretty good, though, so you can get away without using the backlight until it gets quite dark, by which point the backlighting will actually start to be useful, but it's still annoying...