Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it the wireless channel on which I'm broadcasting?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-19-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My wireless connection seems to drop a few times throughout the day, albeit for a very short time - if I go to load a web page and the signal's been dropped the page won't load (duh!), but usually by the time I click Refresh the signal's been recovered and the page loads. I'm experiencing this issue with both my home and work laptops. Response time is damn good, otherwise; pages load in almost a flash. Aside from the wireless adapters' drivers, could the drop offs be due to the wireless channel I'm using? I'm on 6 and a scan of local networks shows a lot of others on the same channel. Intermittent interference from those, perhaps? I've ruled out any possibilities in my house. The reason I'm asking is that it's a pain to connect to my router (it's not in an easily accessible place) and I want to be pretty sure I'm right about the channel thing before changing it.

BTW, I've tried different security settings, turning off SSID broadcasting, and tweaking QoS settings.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is it the wireless channel on which I'm broadcasting?

I don't think anyone can tell you for sure whether changing your channel will help. In my experience in the past, sometimes it can help quite a bit and other times it makes no difference at all. It's usually usually pretty trivial to try different channels. You're not able to do so from within your router's web based management screens?
Old 02-19-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it the wireless channel on which I'm broadcasting?

make sure your router has the latest firmware