Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptops: Sattelite Pro vs Tecra

Old 01-24-01, 03:16 PM
Uber Member

I'm trying to help a relative pick up a new laptop. She's willing to spend up to $4k on it to get good performance and to not have to worry about not being able to run any software she wants to use.

Based on info I did on a search in this forum, I'm suggesting she go with a Toshiba.

But looking at the models, I wonder why you would go with the top of the line Tecra for $3900 (base) vs. the Sattelite Pro for $2000 (base) plus a memory upgrade.

Tecra:
850 p3
14.1" screen
20 gig hdd
256mb ram (not sure which type)
DVD

Satellite Pro:
700 p3
15" screen
12 gig hdd
64mb ram
128mb ram addon (about $110)
DVD

I'm sure the extra memory, cpu and hdd space add up to an increase in performance, but surely it can't be worth $1700!

I'm suggesting the Satellite Pro (and if she really wants to spend her money, maybe I'll tack on a $500 consulting fee! )

Can anyone tell me why the Tecra costs so much more? I can have here get Toshiba's $300 top end warranty package and it would still be cheaper than the Tecra.

Thanks,
-David
Old 01-24-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blade

You can add memory to the sat. pro (look at kingston ram) and it will be fine.

What is the difference you ask? The tecra is the Large Business model and the Sat Pro is the small business model and the regular sat is the personal model. The basic difference is durability (this is in design and materials) and a little bit of speed. The Tecra with the same processor will run a touch faster than the sat pro with same speed processor, motherboard design.

When doing business purchases I always bought the TECRA model, very well built/rugged. I personally own a sat pro.

I would say if she was going to take care of it (read: no abuse because of the 'it's not mine' attitude that some employees have) then the sat pro is fine. I would add the memory and get it up to 128MB. I am going to guess 12G is enough, it is for most people.
Old 01-24-01, 03:38 PM
X
Administrator

I can't let this go unanswered.

Check out IBM. You can get a great laptop for that kind of money. And a three year warranty.
Old 01-24-01, 03:41 PM
Uber Member

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Blade

You can add memory to the sat. pro (look at kingston ram) and it will be fine.

What is the difference you ask? The tecra is the Large Business model and the Sat Pro is the small business model and the regular sat is the personal model. The basic difference is durability (this is in design and materials) and a little bit of speed. The Tecra with the same processor will run a touch faster than the sat pro with same speed processor, motherboard design.

When doing business purchases I always bought the TECRA model, very well built/rugged. I personally own a sat pro.

I would say if she was going to take care of it (read: no abuse because of the 'it's not mine' attitude that some employees have) then the sat pro is fine. I would add the memory and get it up to 128MB. I am going to guess 12G is enough, it is for most people.

That's what I thought. I think the 128 stick will increase it to 192mb so she'll have plenty of memory.

It's mostly just light publisher, ms word, and spreadsheets for work and watching DVDs for fun, so I figured she should save the money. Or give it to me!
Old 01-24-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by X:

Check out IBM. You can get a great laptop for that kind of money. And a three year warranty.

DIE

oh sorry did I really type that

Blade go with the memory and the sat pro, you will be happy. If Toshiba goes out of business for some reason before you can complete the purchase then look at the IBM (X - that is the best I can do)

Old 01-24-01, 04:13 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:

DIE

Just 'cause I'm not a shill for a sleezy foreign corporation?

I must say, I just got a mid-level IBM for a client/friend and it's a wonderful machine. I just picked up a dead dot.com used Toshiba for a friend and it is nowhere near as nice. And I hate the vertical placement of the mouse buttons on the Toshiba.

But better the Toshiba be bought on your recommendation. You'll get the support questions!
Old 01-24-01, 04:26 PM
Uber Member

quote:
Originally posted by X:

Any model recommendations?

-David
Old 01-24-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by X:
Just 'cause I'm not a shill for a sleezy foreign corporation?

all is fair in business, love and war

quote:

I must say, I just got a mid-level IBM for a client/friend and it's a wonderful machine. I just picked up a dead dot.com used Toshiba for a friend and it is nowhere near as nice. And I hate the vertical placement of the mouse buttons on the Toshiba.

Yeah well I hate the way the I the B and M are all together next to each other on the case of those stinkpads you love so much so neener neener neener

quote:

But better the Toshiba be bought on your recommendation. You'll get the support questions!

LOL you know I am just having fun. I have said many times IBM is just not my first choice, they are not BAD, they are just not the best. Support? Toshiba's rarely need hardware support, no problem
Old 01-24-01, 04:43 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Blade:
Any model recommendations?

-David

I'd be happy to suggest one but I have to do a bit of looking at their site for the latest info. Just about every model they have is less than $4K. Do you want a 15" screen? How much weight is acceptable?

I need to go do some errands, but I can get back to you later. In the meantime here's URL's for their T and A series (seriously):

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/...840&lang=en_US

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/...840&lang=en_US
Old 01-24-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

we have been through toshiba, ibm, gateway, dell, micron,hp, and compaq laptops at work..

i wouldnt recommend a toshiba if given a choice.. but i would put it above the ibm, compaq, and gateway laptops.. the hp is about on par with the toshiba..
i would recommend a dell or micron above any of those listed..
the sony vaio is pretty sweet too, but I really havent had a chance to play with it.
Old 01-24-01, 08:04 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by twikoff:
the sony vaio is pretty sweet too, but I really havent had a chance to play with it.

I strongly disagree. But that's what makes a market.
Old 01-24-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by twikoff:
we have been through toshiba, ibm, gateway, dell, micron,hp, and compaq laptops at work..

i wouldnt recommend a toshiba if given a choice.. but i would put it above the ibm, compaq, and gateway laptops.. the hp is about on par with the toshiba..

The NEWer Dell latitudes are not bad, but they are delicate compared to the Toshibas (higher end toshiba of course if you are dealing with plain satelites they kinda stink). I have 100's of Dell latitudes laying around ranging from the original CP to the newer CPXJ series. I would own a Dell latitude CPXJ personally, if it was cheaper than a Toshiba Tecra (actually Dell would be my number 2 pick and IBM third).

HP builds an OK laptop, but the support structure is just not there. Just TRY to get one of those babies repaired in 4 hours or less (or even overnight for that matter) and after the warranty period good luck finding parts anywhere

The sony is crap no matter how you look at it.

Micron I have not dealt with in years. They use to be good, couldn't say today.

Old 01-24-01, 09:11 PM
X
Administrator

Blade -

Here's a couple of specific models for you to look at:

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/..._US&shoptype=D

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/..._US&shoptype=D

These two models are at good price points where a minimal enhancement costs significantly more. Maybe add some memory up to 128MB if they don't already have it. The T series comes with 3 year warranty, A series 1 year. You can add two years to the A series for about $200. And if Citibank still has the deal going, and you have a Citibank card, you can buy the computer and the warranty for 5% off.
Old 01-24-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I been using NEC,Toshiba,Dell,IBM,Compaq,Vaio and also Sharp for some time, and it depends on what for you gonna use the notebook for. I would recommend Tecra models as once i went to thier headoffice here in Tokyo and they demonstarted the difference between a Tecra and the other models.The architecture is complete different even thought you get the same processor or even the same parts.
Tecra are the high end models of Toshiba.So if you got money invest in them.As for me I am happy with my Dell Inspiron 5000e. And other most important thing is the support. Any notebook that you buy will have some screwups so the best tecnical service is what you should look into most!

[This message has been edited by Kumar J (edited January 24, 2001).]