Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Loading programs on Win2000 Question, Part 2

Old 01-23-01, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I need to get this fixed. Any help????

System:
Intel OR840 MB, dual 933 P3 CPUs. 256megs of Kingston Rambus. Matrox G400 dual head video card. Adaptec ultrawide SCSI controller. Dual Seagate Cheetah drives.

Windows 2000 OS
12/10/32A IDE Plexwriter CD-R/W Drive
8X DVD Drive
3.5" floppy
Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Platinum
Logitech FX trackball mouse
Northgate Omnikey keyboard
Dual 21" Viewsonic monitors
Hooked thru a home ethernet network into a cable modem

Symptoms: 75% of programs I try to install will not load. If I run the install or SETUP.EXE program, nothing happens. You hera the CD spin for a bit, but no error messages. Nothing happens.

If I use a downloaded program, the same thing happens. Some programs will install. Most do not. You can click on the setup or install icon and nothing happens.

Some examples of programs I can't install.
Adobe Acrobat 3 (downloaded from Adobe)
Solidworks

Old 01-23-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When you log in to the computer, does your username have administrator rights?
Old 01-23-01, 02:32 PM
X
Administrator

I would create another OS installation on another partition and see if it works (or doesn't work) the same way. This time don't copy driver files back and forth from computer to computer as I recall you did previously.
Old 01-23-01, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Goblincat, I log on as Administrator, plus I can install 25% of the programs.

X....I am still traumatized by the events of last week.

Maybe I will give that shot. Can I install Win98 on the second drive? How do I create a dualboot or do I nmot understand what you are saying?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-01, 04:55 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by randyc:
Maybe I will give that shot. Can I install Win98 on the second drive? How do I create a dualboot or do I nmot understand what you are saying?

Thanks!

You can install Win98 on the second drive if you didn't format it as NTFS, but why would you want to? You should install another Win2K on the second drive. Just do a fresh install to that drive, not over your previous install.

After installation, and rebooting, you will automatically get a dual boot screen asking which one you want to boot up. Probably the highlighted one would be the one you last installed. Don't get too fancy about adding bunches of drivers, but try to install Acrobat or other programs that you're currently not able to install and see if they work.
Old 01-23-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

look what happens to this forum when I get busy

Here are a few thoughts and a few questions.

- Is your windows 2000 license legal? If it is I suggest you call Microsoft on this one.
I usually beat my head against the wall first, but sometimes you have to call them.

Here is what I would do before I called.

Like X said, reinstall the OS in a clean manor. Meaning if you have it installed in c:\winnt install it somewhere else (or format your hard drive and start over, since you have two drives this may be best). You can choose an alternate location during the install, anything but the path where you have it now will install clean and give you a second win2000 line in the boot manager (could be drive d: could be c:\winnt2).

I remember you had an issue with the cd rom, so copy the win2k cd contents to your hard drive and run the install from there instead of the CD.

Here are a few other random questions if you want to make a WEAK attempt at fixing your current install.

1. What services do you have running? I will email you a neat utility with some directions.

2. Have you checked the event viewer? are there any events? (let me know if you need directions)

3. do you get any kind of warning before or after the setup fails? after a failed setup, if you look at the task manager, is the setup still running in the background or is it completely gone?
Old 01-24-01, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

My email from @home is suck as usual, mail sent to me is bouncing or in limbo...

Okay, I installed a fresh W2K on my D drive. Works great! Previously failed install programs now work. Woohoo!!

One thing....do I need now to re-install everything that was on my old OS? I have no programs in my new OS. Do I have to reload all my programs? All of them??? Yikes...
Old 01-24-01, 07:55 PM
Needs to provide a working email

quote:
One thing....do I need now to re-install everything that was on my old OS? I have no programs in my new OS. Do I have to reload all my programs? All of them??? Yikes...

Yep. The only way to keep the links to your apps in W2K is to install OVER your older OS (Win98, WinME, whatever). As far as I know, there is no MS or 3rd party utility to transfer over the links/dlls and such (I asked here if there was one, and nobody mentioned one). I dual boot, myself. Some things that can be done in WinMe can't be done in Win2K, and visa-verses.
Old 01-24-01, 08:02 PM
X
Administrator

quote:

Since you do have to reinstall your apps, I would wipe out your original installation and do it again. That way your originally intended configuration would be the way you would end up.
Old 01-24-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X - FYI Randy sent me a services dump (from netsrv) and nothing out of the ordinary was there. He sent me all the error logs and they showed nothing relevant to the problem (other things though, but minor) meaning the setup programs were crashing before the error log could even detect an exe ran bummer!

I think he had a corruption somewhere, maybe in the registry, maybe a DLL, who knows, just thought you would like a few more pieces to the puzzle.

(btw - randy did not even realize he sent me all his bank account information, the newbie) just kidding of course...

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-24-01, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys...how does one "wipe out" the other OS? I am guessing that it's a bit more than erasing the directories? Once I get the apps loaded on the new OS, I can't see a reason to keep the old OS.

My thought is that I want to leave the new OS on the D drive. Using the D drive instead of the C drive is no big deal. And then I will start to load up all my apps and drivers until it all crashes down like a house of cards.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-01, 08:39 PM
X
Administrator

If you're anal retentive like me, you'll want to set up perfectly. The original OS setup is trivial. You can boot into the second OS and delete the \winnt, \program files, etc. directories on the C drive. Just keep the bootup files in the C:\ directory.

It's a good idea to have that second OS. You can boot into it to do backups of your primary one and you won't have any conflicts with open files. You'll probably want to backup the OS you're going to primarily use when you get it set up originally with drivers, etc. Then anything you load that might make it crap out can be essentially backed out. You can even copy the OS directories on C: over to D: to make a recovery very easy -- just an xcopy away.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-24-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well here is the quick and dirty.

Boot from your NEW install on D: (I hope you figured that much out )

Delete the c:\winnt directory. Edit your boot.ini file (on the root of C and remove the line that loads win2000 from the C drive, it will look something like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

the one that sayd disk(1) instead of disk (0) is the install on D: make a backup copy of this file if it makes you feel better (just copy it into a directory somewhere)

You will need to right click the boot.ini file from windows explorer and change the properties before it will let you edit it. (remove read only and hidden) also can be done from DOS prompt (start - run - cmd - click OK) at c:\ type

attrib boot.ini -r -h

I gave you this method in case your explorer is set to hide hidden files (it most likely is)

You can also remove some information uner the documents and settings folder, but this is not a big deal you may just want to forget about it.