Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Will you be getting an iPad?
Yes, I'll get one as soon as they become available.
10.73%
Eventually, but not the first generation.
29.50%
No.
59.77%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting an iPad?

Old 02-14-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you getting an iPad?

I'll be skipping the first generation.

The reason I bought a netbook was for the built-in camera, so that when my GF and I are apart, we can talk and see each other. If the iPad had an onboard camera, I might have sold my netbook and jumped.

Also, the lack of a USB port is a bit of a deal breaker to me.

Anyone getting one?
Old 02-14-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you getting an iPad?

Yes, as soon as they're available. (probably the 32GB non-3G model)

Sure, it would be nice to have an onboard camera. But the last 4 notebooks (including my current Macbook Pro) had cameras and except for taking a profile picture for Facebook, I've never used them. I want to. But nobody I know has one or wants to use theirs.

As for the USB port, like the iPhone and iPod Touch (to the best of my knowledge), the iPad does not have USB host capabilities. USB hosting is the ability to attach USB peripherals. These 3 devices act as USB peripherals.

The Keyboard/dock accessory and SD card dongle make it perfect for my needs.

I owned 2 netbooks that I have just given away to friends (7" and 10" models) because they did not provide the functionality that I needed. (edit: they were the closest devices available in attempting to provide the functionality that I needed) Based solely on what I saw in that keynote video, the iPad will serves my needs better than a netbook.

I may be the only one, but I'm looking forward to getting one.

Last edited by sracer; 02-14-10 at 08:29 AM. Reason: fixed wording
Old 02-14-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe in a few years I'll get one with cell data. Cheaper than a car DVD system
Old 02-14-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought about it but the lack of features made me get a real laptop instead
Old 02-14-10, 11:24 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been envisioning something with the form factor of the iPad for several years, before I even heard the rumors of it. I expect I'll get one not too long after it comes out. I want it primarily for internet use. I expect it will replace the newspaper at the breakfast table for me.
Old 02-14-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan on picking up the 32GB non-3G model. I'm crossing my fingers that Hulu releases an App in time for the release.
Old 02-14-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

probably not in the near future, but the concept intrigues me. probably when i need to replace this cheap laptop, i'll consider replacing it with a tablet. as long as they can do pretty much everything a laptop does, then I will.
Old 02-14-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, not unless Apple includes e-ink (or equivalent). The main reason I'd get a device like this is for e-books, while the other features would just be icing. The first company to come up with a device that's allows for colour graphics while also offering e-ink (or equivalent) will get my business. A device based on Android was shown recently and looks very interesting.
Old 02-14-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope, pretty much all the functionality that I would use on the iPad can be had elsewhere that are better or cheaper.
Old 02-14-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No I will stick to my MacBook and iPhone
Old 02-14-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Nope, pretty much all the functionality that I would use on the iPad can be had elsewhere that are better or cheaper.
this.
the ipad is for suckers.
Old 02-14-10, 02:40 PM

Tablets have been around for years. Suddenly, Apple releases one and people line up around the block like it's "revolutionary".
Old 02-14-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I went to Costco and got a 96 pack of pads, wife will be good for a while.
Old 02-14-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will get one if by some odd chance I start to menstruate, but I don't see that happening
Old 02-14-10, 03:31 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9996380-post360.html
Old 02-14-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Tablets have been around for years. Suddenly, Apple releases one and people line up around the block like it's "revolutionary".
Really? Care to share a link to 10" tablets that don't require a stylus, weigh only 1.5 lbs, and 1/2" thick that have been "around for years"? I'd settle for a link to any such device that is available today.
Old 02-14-10, 04:55 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Really? Care to share a link to 10" tablets that don't require a stylus, weigh only 1.5 lbs, and 1/2" thick that have been "around for years"? I'd settle for a link to any such device that is available today.
What revolutionary features! It's small and light!
Old 02-14-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eventually because of the possibilities the iPad has, but for now like gotrice said, my iphone & macbook work just fine.
Old 02-14-10, 06:15 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was about to post the same thing until I saw you already made the point. I saw a review the other day that gave alternatives to the iPad, but none were very appealing to me. Most ran Windows 7, and while that gave them flexibility, the reviews I read often mentioned they were sluggish - especially the Atom based tablets.

If you know of alternative tablets to the iPad, please list them here. I've looked around, but just haven't seen anything else that compares for the size, simplicity, and price.
Old 02-14-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
I thought about it but the lack of features made me get a real laptop instead
You are not the target audience. Buyers of the iPad already have a "real laptop" or desktop already.

Yes, I will probably get one at some point. Non-3G.
Old 02-14-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i just dont understand why anyone would want a crippled "laptop" just because it has a touch screen. what great advantages will it give you over a more powerful netbook? other than gimics, i dont know of any.
Old 02-14-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
i just dont understand why anyone would want a crippled "laptop" just because it has a touch screen. what great advantages will it give you over a more powerful netbook? other than gimics, i dont know of any.
Your comments about the iPad are true for netbooks. What great advantages will a netbook give you over a more powerful notebook?
Old 02-14-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
What revolutionary features! It's small and light!
I noticed that you failed to provide any links devices already on the market that fit that form factor. I'm not an Apple fanboy. The iPad looks like it suits my needs better than everything else is on the market. The iPad bigots keeps saying that there is no use for it but fail to provide alternatives.

Last edited by sracer; 02-14-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 10:56 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I noticed that you failed to provide any links devices already on the market that fit that form factor. I'm not an Apple fanboy. The iPad looks like it suits my needs better than everything else is on the market. The iPad bigots keeps saying that there is no use for it but fail to provide alternatives.
True, I failed to do a duty that was in no way mine to do. I just happened to notice that your main arguments revolved around the size of the thing. If that's a real concern, I'd suggest hitting the gym.

Just kidding on that last point, of course. If it suits your needs, by all means, go for it. Even if it doesn't, and you want it, go for it. I only make observations.
Old 02-14-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no interest in the device in its current state (as I personally would have no use for it -- have a netbook for travel, and if I want an eBook reader, I'll buy a real one) so I'll pass for now. I think it will lead to better, more practical devices down the line -- so I won't say "No." -- but it isn't there yet.

Your comments about the iPad are true for netbooks. What great advantages will a netbook give you over a more powerful notebook?
Substantially lower price, increased portability and battery life come to mind for me, though that is all arguable. I'd personally like to have an Alienware m11x, but it's out of my price range.

Having something completely self contained (well, laptop + powercord) is pretty handy. No need to carry around extra keyboards, adapters, etc;

Last edited by RichC2; 02-15-10 at 12:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.