Reload this Page >

Should I Get a New PC or New Processor?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-11-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm ready to kick my current PC to the curb, and wondering if there is still life left in this old machine.

I built it back in 2007, and never been happy with the thing. I went through several video card upgrades, RAM, but the thing just never could handle even old PC games like Civ 4. The problem is I went cheap on the CPU, Pentium D 2.66 mhz. It's a crappy CPU and often I just have to wait forever for the thing to boot up in XP. I did a full HD reformat and Windows reinstall and it did not improve performance.

The bigger problem is a major heating issue. Intel constantly warns me that the processor temp is over threshhold at 74 F degrees. The lowest temp it can achieve is 62F. I'm afraid to overlord the bastard by playing games.

I'm thinking I need to at least replace the CPU or chunk it. I want a gaming PC that can at least play Crysis. The MB can only go up to an Intel Core 2 Extreme processor. It uses LGA 775 socket.

What do you guys think? If I replace the processor, what is the best model to get?
Old 02-11-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Should I Get a New PC or New Processor?

Many people are happy with the Q6600 Quad. I'm happy with my E8500.
Old 02-11-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

post up some more specs, like the exact motherboard model

Your heat problem just sounds like your heatsink (geez make one little mistake...) isn't properly connected to the processor. that could be fixed fairly easliy.

Speed, well speed in another issue entirely. If you want a fast computer, it is best to buy components that are known to go fast SIMPLE upgrades will rarely get HUGE performance gains. If you put a faster processor on, and your hard drive or ram is the bottleneck, you won't go much faster overall.

Last edited by 4KRG; 02-11-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Core 2 is a pretty big bump from the Pentium D though. My Core 2 Duo 6550 is still going strong after 2 years and can play recent games just fine.
Old 02-11-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
post up some more specs, like the exact motherboard model

Your heat problem just sounds like your heat sync isn't properly connected to the processor. that could be fixed fairly easliy.

Speed, well speed in another issue entirely. If you want a fast computer, it is best to buy components that are known to go fast SIMPLE upgrades will rarely get HUGE performance gains. If you put a faster processor on, and your hard drive or ram is the bottleneck, you won't go much faster overall.
Motherboard model is Intel DP965LT. I used the Intel stock heatsink.
Old 02-11-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heat can sync with a processor?

Old 02-11-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you built the pc yourself, then you can upgrade the mobo/cpu. Fry's had an Athlon II X4 620 + mobo for $70 - $10 MIR I think just last week. I'm sure that's way cheaper than just buying an Intel chip of similar performance.
Old 02-11-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

don't use the stock heat sink when you get a new processor or build a new pc
Old 02-11-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your heat problem just sounds like your heat sync isn't properly connected to the processor. that could be fixed fairly easliy.
This could also be the source of his performance problems. The Pentium-D has thermal protection built in which will degrade performance if the chip is overheating.

I have the same chip, stock HS, with 2 GB or ram and sure it's outdated, but it should be fine for day to day use and moderate games at lower resolutions.

I've been thinking of an upgrade myself. If I had a Fry's and could get a deal like D.Pham posted I would be all over it. Even at regular prices it's not a bad option to go with the 620 + a new AMD MB for about $150. You'll pay that much just for a Q8300 but you'll be stuck with an old MB and it's 775 socket. The other option I was looking at was something like a E6500 for around $80. It's still a major upgrade from the D, moderately slower than the quad options but around half the price.
Old 02-11-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
This could also be the source of his performance problems.
I agree, that is where I was headed. I think you just need to fix the heatsink and see if that is any better.

The problem is the money you would put out for a processor upgrade and probably not see too much increase (over a normally functioning Pentium D 2.6) would be better spent on an even newer processor and motherboard/ram combo.

The other thing that can cause speed issues like what you describe is a hard drive going bad. You need to download drive manufacturer diags and run them. If you own a seagate, get seatools, if you own a wester digital, get their diags, run the most intensive test they both offer and scan the entire drive.
Old 02-11-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just checked some prices, the processor upgrade might actually be worth it after all. I forgot what a dog the pentium D was

specs on the board if this link works

http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...rdname=dp965lt

You need revision D41694-207 or Later to support Q6600 or Q6700

I doubt you want to buy an extreme version processor, so that leaves you with the E6700 as the next best.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E67...5985194ad7871e

$178.50

some becnhmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2795&p=8

You might be looking at a 75% CPU gain, which is substantial, provided your CPU is a major part of your bottleneck

I still advise to fix the heat problem first and see what happens and also check the HD

THEN upgrade the processor.

How much RAM do you have?
Old 02-11-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, that is where I was headed. I think you just need to fix the heatsink and see if that is any better.
i was going to recommend the same thing. make sure to get some new thermal paste so you can properly sync the heat sink to the chip.

if the heat sink is properly secured, and still have high temps, then the cpu is likely toast.

The problem is the money you would put out for a processor upgrade and probably not see too much increase (over a normally functioning Pentium D 2.6) would be better spent on an even newer processor and motherboard/ram combo.

The other thing that can cause speed issues like what you describe is a hard drive going bad. You need to download drive manufacturer diags and run them. If you own a seagate, get seatools, if you own a wester digital, get their diags, run the most intensive test they both offer and scan the entire drive.
the x4 620 + mobo combo i posted about uses DDR2, same as his current mobo. ram right now is damn expensive. i paid $65 for 4GB ram.
Old 02-11-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just checked some prices, the processor upgrade might actually be worth it after all. I forgot what a dog the pentium D was

specs on the board if this link works

http://processormatch.intel.com/Comp...rdname=dp965lt

You need revision D41694-207 or Later to support Q6600 or Q6700

I doubt you want to buy an extreme version processor, so that leaves you with the E6700 as the next best.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=E67...5985194ad7871e

$178.50

some becnhmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2795&p=8

You might be looking at a 75% CPU gain, which is substantial, provided your CPU is a major part of your bottleneck

I still advise to fix the heat problem first and see what happens and also check the HD

THEN upgrade the processor.

How much RAM do you have?
Fry's had the e7500+mobo for $100 i think just a few days ago.

imo, if you were going to spend $180, i'd go with the core i7-860 that Fry's had for $230 on bf. though, that price probably wouldn't come again for a LONG time.
Old 02-12-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Fry's... blah blah blah
Not all of us have access to the incredible deals Fry's has to offer. Unless you know for sure the OP has access to one (or the deal is ALSO online) don't use them as a price guide, no other place I have seen can come close to Fry's cpu/mobo B&M combo deals
Old 02-12-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not all of us have access to the incredible deals Fry's has to offer. Unless you know for sure the OP has access to one (or the deal is ALSO online) don't use them as a price guide, no other place I have seen can come close to Fry's cpu/mobo B&M combo deals
i'm not disagreeing with you, but just wanted to shed light on Fry's hot cpu/mobo deals. if the OP were near one and built his computer from the ground up, then my recommendation would be to pick up a cpu/mobo combo instead of just upgrading the chip.

btw, microcenter has a core i7 cpu for $200 right now. obviously not a 775 socket, so he'd need a new mobo though.
Old 02-12-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hear ya, I just have "Fry's B&M deal anger" for not having a Fry's and always being left out
Old 02-12-10, 12:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya, I just have "Fry's B&M deal anger" for not having a Fry's and always being left out
You think you have it bad, I'm within 50 miles of 4 or 5 of them but I'm not going to drive 100 miles roundtrip to pick up one of their deals. So close, yet so far...
Old 02-12-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i feel sorry for you guys. I pass by a Fry's on my daily commute.

btw, for those w/o a Fry's around, there's a Phenom X4 9750 for $67 @ TD (less if you use BCB). you can buy a board for ~$50, and this is way faster than the Pentium D. should be pretty decent for normal usage and some gaming.
Old 02-12-10, 03:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, given where they're located in Northern California, I feel pretty fortunate I don't pass by a Fry's on my way to work.
Old 02-12-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could always get a Power 750 Express Intel Processor, they only cost around $35K.
Old 02-12-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fry's had the e7500+mobo for $100 i think just a few days ago.

imo, if you were going to spend $180, i'd go with the core i7-860 that Fry's had for $230 on bf. though, that price probably wouldn't come again for a LONG time.
It will cost more than $180 because I doubt his memory would work with the i7
Old 02-12-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i feel sorry for you guys. I pass by a Fry's on my daily commute.
I think I feel more sorry for you that you live in CA

Fry's just needs to move east

I do have a micro center and I usualy get my processors on their hot deals, but I am screwed on the motherboard unless I can work a sale and a rebate and free shipping on something that is not crap hard to do most days
Old 02-12-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
It will cost more than $180 because I doubt his memory would work with the i7
good point, though i was just referring to the price of the cpu. i don't think the i7 is that great of a choice pricewise, unless you wanted a high end cpu.

the athlon x4 620+mobo for $60 i posted before does use the ddr2, same as his current mobo. he would need a new mobo too for the i7.

my concern is the heat would start to deteriorate the mobo or other components, which is why i suggested buying a mobo+cpu, plus, with the Pentium D is probably 4-5 years old now.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 02-12-10 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw AMD. Intel all the way.
Old 02-13-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I feel more sorry for you that you live in CA

Fry's just needs to move east

I do have a micro center and I usualy get my processors on their hot deals, but I am screwed on the motherboard unless I can work a sale and a rebate and free shipping on something that is not crap hard to do most days
hey, the good news is that ECS paid kickbacks to a former Fry's VP, so Fry's no longer bundles the cpu's with ECS boards. They use Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, and...gasp...Asus!

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Screw AMD. Intel all the way.
just for you, Fry's has the Celeron E3200+mobo for $30 AR. great price, and it's still prob. twice as fast as the Pentium D 2.6

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.