Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HHEELLPP!!!!!!!! Using WinDVD with a TV

Old 01-23-01, 06:17 PM

Hey, I have a AMD Athlon 800, 128MG RAM, NVIDA GeForce2 MX with TV out and i want to know is it possible to play DVDs on my computer but through a TV

if you can help PLEASE do
Thanks
Old 01-23-01, 06:26 PM
Registered

moving to DVD Rom and PC Hardware Forum.

Geoff
Old 01-23-01, 06:29 PM
X
Administrator

Since your video card has TV out (I'm assuming S-Video) you can play DVDs on your TV. If your TV has component input, you could get a transcoder to convert from VGA to component for a better picture.
Old 01-23-01, 07:05 PM

I've connected a S Video lead to RCA plug and pluged it into my TV and besdies it comming up in black and white (its a colour TV) i try and play the DVD and i can hear it playing through my PC Speakers and it just shows the WinDVD Logo on my TV (along witht he rest of the desktop, when i switch back to the PC Monitor its playing fine. Is there a setting somewhere??
Old 01-23-01, 07:25 PM
X
Administrator

Did you go into your display properties and set the video out tab to go out to the tv? I'll try it on my GTS and make sure the overlay output goes to the tv.
Old 01-23-01, 09:17 PM
X
Administrator

I tried it with my GTS S-Video add-on module. The WinDVD played movie came out on my TV. Sure looked crappy though compared with the VGA-out I usually use. You'd be way better off if you have component-in on your TV.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 01-23-01, 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jon_bartels:
I've connected a S Video lead to RCA plug and pluged it into my TV and besdies it comming up in black and white (its a colour TV) i try and play the DVD and i can hear it playing through my PC Speakers and it just shows the WinDVD Logo on my TV (along witht he rest of the desktop, when i switch back to the PC Monitor its playing fine. Is there a setting somewhere??

I have a Matrox G400 card and I use WinDVd to play DVDs on my TV so it works. The "black and white" problem seems that:
1- You setup your TV output to be black and white (I have this option on my G400, never used it though)
or 2- You have a NTSC TV and you set your TV out in PAL mode (or you have a PAL TV and you set it in NTSC mode)

About the speakers... make sure you plug the your soundcard output in your TVinput... (the TV out is only for picture, not sound. At least that's the way it works with my Matrox)