DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAiT: iTunes/XP/two iPods = confusion for me

I know enough about iTunes to be dangerous, so here's my issue:

- running XP with two users, let's call them A and B
- up until now there has been one Touch, used by user A
- user A's iTunes library has thousands of songs
- a new Touch is on order for user A, and user B will get the "old" one
- User B has never used iTunes, and for whatever reason their library is not the same as user A's, and only shows a few hundred songs.

Questions:
When user A gets the new Touch, what needs to be done to allow user B to connect to iTunes with the "old" Touch?

At that point, what will happen when user B attempts to sync the Touch with iTunes?

How do I get both users to share the same library?

My goal is to have user A and B - under their separate XP user accounts - have access to the same music?

Is that even possible?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 02-07-10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: YAiT: iTunes/XP/two iPods = confusion for me

So you want both iPods to have the same music, essentially?

If you left everything defaulted, I believe iTunes maintains the music library automatically. And it sounds like the second XP user may have already added a few of their own songs. So, when on the second XP account, just open iTunes, open up the preferences panel, go to Advanced, and under iTunes Media folder location, click Change... and point it to the music library on the first XP user.

If I'm right, that should populate your 2nd XP users library immediately. If not, go back to that preferences screen, in Advanced, make sure "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is NOT checked. Click OK, then go to File... Add to Library. And then find the first XP users music library, and highlight everything to add them all. You see, if you left "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" checked, it would take everything you add into your library and essentially make duplicates of everything, and that's just crazy-talk. What you want is everything to be synced, and that's what we are attempting to do.

Or, to make it easier, you can simply let the second user sync their iPod on your XP account as well. iTunes doesn't care how many iPods it syncs with.
Old 02-07-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue with itunes and multiple accounts is that itunes doesn't automatically update one profile with any changes made on a different profile. Meaning, if you make a change to a file (change the name, change the track number, or even add/delete tracks), the other profile will not reflect the changes. The other profile will have the track show up with an exclamation point, and state that the file cannot be found. itunes is stupid this way. This only applies if you are using two profiles, two itunes, and one set of music files.

If you are using two sets of music files, one profile/itunes pointing to one set, and the other profile/itunes pointing to another set of files, there won't be an issue. Well, there might be if both profile's itunes are trying to organize the library, but I never got that far.

There is a program that will automatically update the itunes libaray, called ITLU, but it has to be run every time changes are made on one profile. Ultimately, I just created a playlist on my itunes profile that contained the music my fiancee wanted on her ipod, and sync with that playlist.
Old 02-07-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks guys - I'll give it a shot.

My goal is that user A and user B would share the same library under their separate XP accounts, if possible, though each would have the option to make their own playlists, etc in iTunes/Touch. Or can that not work like that?

I would hate to replicate the two libraries, if at all possible. User A (me) is the one who adds music, and user B (wife) just wants to be able to independently update her Touch with some (though not all) of the music.

I know this is probably kind of confusing - it is to me, at least.
Old 02-07-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Thanks guys - I'll give it a shot.

My goal is that user A and user B would share the same library under their separate XP accounts, if possible, though each would have the option to make their own playlists, etc in iTunes/Touch. Or can that not work like that?

I would hate to replicate the two libraries, if at all possible. User A (me) is the one who adds music, and user B (wife) just wants to be able to independently update her Touch with some (though not all) of the music.

I know this is probably kind of confusing - it is to me, at least.
Yeah, I tried a few things early on with sharing a library with multiple accounts. I just ended up like others here just synching multiple ipods under one XP account.
Old 02-08-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post
Yeah, I tried a few things early on with sharing a library with multiple accounts. I just ended up like others here just synching multiple ipods under one XP account.
That could be a solution.
Yet here's where I get confused about syncing two iPods under one XP account. Since my wife (user B in the example above) only wants a subset of the main iTunes library that seems logical.

However:
Let's say my iTunes library (user A in the example above) on my PC is 15gb. Our current iPod is 8gb, which means I have to check/uncheck songs when syncing the iPod due to space limitations.

I'm getting a new 32gb iPod, which obviously can hold the entire library. Which would mean I could leave all the songs checked.

So that would mean everytime I then sync the 8gb I'm going to have uncheck a large number of songs?
Old 02-08-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That could be a solution.
Yet here's where I get confused about syncing two iPods under one XP account. Since my wife (user B in the example above) only wants a subset of the main iTunes library that seems logical.

However:
Let's say my iTunes library (user A in the example above) on my PC is 15gb. Our current iPod is 8gb, which means I have to check/uncheck songs when syncing the iPod due to space limitations.

I'm getting a new 32gb iPod, which obviously can hold the entire library. Which would mean I could leave all the songs checked.

So that would mean everytime I then sync the 8gb I'm going to have uncheck a large number of songs?
I just use different playlists for video and music, for each user.

We have multiple shuffles, and older Nano, and my son has a Touch.
Old 02-08-10, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

However:

I would set both iPods to not sync automatically. That way, you don't have to check/un-check any songs, but you WOULD have to drag songs from your library/playlists to your device in iTunes in order to get them on the iPod of your choice.

This is what my wife and I do, but she's also pretty "with it" when it comes to iTunes, since she's been using it almost as long as me.
Old 02-08-10, 11:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Also, to answer your original question about setting up one library with two XP User accounts... That's easy!

The thing is, when you start iTunes for the first time in either account, iTunes creates a 'library' file (not sure of the actual extensions or anything) somewhere in the user's account folder (c:\documents and settings\user A\etc.\

So, even though all of your MUSIC FILES might be in one spot (I personally do recommend allowing iTunes to copy all files to the iTunes directory), each library will only show what a specific user has added.

BUT, if you hold Shift when you start iTunes, it will come up with a window saying something about creating a new library or opening an existing library. Create a new one in a generic folder (ie: C:\iTunes\). Import all of your music so everything DOES get duplicated into that folder. Verify that everything has been stored in that folder before you go and delete it from anywhere else. Close iTunes (don't minimize, since it won't save everything... I think...)

Log into User B's XP account, and run iTunes while holding shift. Instead of creating a new library, tell it to open an existing library, and go to the one you created (again, ie: c:\iTunes\). That way, both accounts are using the same iTunes library and files, but from separate XP user accounts. Both users can create playlists, smart playlists, etc.
Old 02-08-10, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Also, to answer your original question about setting up one library with two XP User accounts... That's easy!

The thing is, when you start iTunes for the first time in either account, iTunes creates a 'library' file (not sure of the actual extensions or anything) somewhere in the user's account folder (c:\documents and settings\user A\etc.\

So, even though all of your MUSIC FILES might be in one spot (I personally do recommend allowing iTunes to copy all files to the iTunes directory), each library will only show what a specific user has added.

BUT, if you hold Shift when you start iTunes, it will come up with a window saying something about creating a new library or opening an existing library. Create a new one in a generic folder (ie: C:\iTunes\). Import all of your music so everything DOES get duplicated into that folder. Verify that everything has been stored in that folder before you go and delete it from anywhere else. Close iTunes (don't minimize, since it won't save everything... I think...)

Log into User B's XP account, and run iTunes while holding shift. Instead of creating a new library, tell it to open an existing library, and go to the one you created (again, ie: c:\iTunes\). That way, both accounts are using the same iTunes library and files, but from separate XP user accounts. Both users can create playlists, smart playlists, etc.
This is how my wife and I have it setup.Under 3 different libraries.
1-Her 8 gig Nano
2-My 160 Classic
3-My 16 iPhone
1 and 3 are on the laptop but the Classic is on a 750 gig exteral.And I have the room to backup everything on 1&3.
Old 02-08-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot about SomethingMore's suggestion. That does work quite well. If you still want to keep one itunes library, with two ipods, just create a folder in itunes and put her playlists in that folder. Have her ipod sync to that folder. You won't have to uncheck anything.
Old 02-09-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas, folks.

I should be getting the new 32gb Touch next week, so I'll let you know how it all works out.
Old 02-09-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

What's the process form importing the current library to this new location, such as your example of C:\iTunes

I tried to export from iTunes, but that didn't work. Is it just a matter of copying the whole current iTunes folder?
Old 02-09-10, 05:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'll preface my instructions by saying that I'm an iTunes whore and prefer the way it handles everything like naming files, etc.

Before doing anything, I strongly recommend plugging each iPod into the computer and checking the "Manually manage music and videos" option and un-checking the "Sync only checked songs and videos" option. This will ensure that no songs get erased when you plug it in after you've done everything I describe below.

The way I did it was...

1. Open iTunes while holding Shift and created a new (empty) library file in the c:\iTunes folder. This will open iTunes and you should have NO songs listed at all. Make sure you don't currently have any songs stored in that folder, either.
2. Edit. Preferences. Advanced. Change the iTunes media folder to C:\iTunes\ and make sure "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are both checked.
3. File. Add Folder to Library. Select the folder where all of your music is currently stored (ie: C:\Documents and Settings\User A\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\)
4. Wait as all your music is imported. iTunes will automatically copy EVERYTHING in that folder to the new C:\iTunes folder. This will take a fair amount of time, but will ensure that everything is in the right place.
5. Quickly check over your music to see if anything is missing. I have found in the past that some music was stored in a totally different place than everything else.
6. Close iTunes.
7. Log into User B's Windows XP account.
8. Open iTunes while holding Shift and select the library at c:\iTunes.
9. iTunes will do a bit more thinking here before the songs show up, but when they DO show up, they should be exactly the same as in User A's iTunes.
10. Get User B to double-check that all the songs they want are there. There's a good possibility that some songs are in their "Documents and Settings" folder. If so, import them just like you did with User A's account in Step 3.
11. Now, EVERYTHING will be listed in iTunes for both users and you should be safe deleting the old files. You may want to keep them for a few weeks just in case you notice that something is still missing.
Old 02-11-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it possible to have 2 different passwords for itunes? My son always wants to download the free apps for his touch but I always have to enter a password.. Is it possible to give him a password so he can download all the free apps he wants without bothering me? I hate to give hime the master password because my credt card is linked to the account. I also don't want him using the credit on the account unless he talks to me.