Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to detect when a mouse is not working?

Old 01-22-01, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a logitech first mouse and since yesterday I cant move the cursor anymore,and I have been using it with Dell inspiron.I checked with the device manager and its still listed there!So how to make sure you PS2 port is the one damaged or is the mouse thats damaged?
I cannot test it with any other computer cause this is the only one I have! Any other suggestions?
Old 01-23-01, 01:38 AM

Next to the mouse listed in device manager, are there any questionable icons (i.e. a red x or the yellow question mark) next to the mouse?

You may want to find out if the driver needs to be reinstalled. Exit Windows and go into DOS mode if possible. Load the Logitech DOS-based mouse driver, and then run something like edit from the command line. If your mouse driver loaded fine and the mouse cursor moves inside the edit environment, you should reinstall your Windows mouse driver.

To test your PS/2 port, you can try using a different mouse on the port and use the standard PS/2 port mouse driver that comes with Windows.