Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about hard drives

Old 01-22-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would I be better off getting one 60.0 Maxtor drive, or two 30.0 gig drives? Does it take longer to open files and stuff because you have a larger hard drive that your pc has to look through? It is chaeper to get the one 60 gig drive than it is to get the two smaller ones, but if it would slow me down I would just as well get the two drives.

Thanks
Old 01-22-01, 01:25 PM

get 1 large one so that you do not waste space in your pc..speed-wise, just get a quality 60 gig drive.
Old 01-22-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

get a large one, then just partition it off

of course running everything from the same partition will slow you down.. but if create seperate partitions for system files, data files, page file, etc.. then youll be better off..
Old 01-22-01, 05:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

It all depends on which end you are looking at it from. If you have 2 free IDE ports and don't care about the physical space used, you will probably get better performance by have 2 30GB drives. However, this will probably cost a little more than getting a single 60GB. If you are concerned about cost, physical space, and only have one free IDE port, a 60GB will do just fine and you shouldn't have any problems.

Another thing to say about the 2 drive meathod. If one fails, you still have another to use while the other is getting replaced. It's a good "fallback" idea.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-22-01, 07:30 PM

If you want the best performance, 2 drives is the way to go. You can install your OS on the first drive and your swap file on the second drive. But it will be about the same (unless you do some RAID setup) performance. But is it really worth it? It depends of the price.

Also make sure your drives are 7200 RPM and ATA100 (if your mobo supports it) otherwise ATA66. I still see many 5400 RPM drives these days and you should avoid them (unless they are only use for backup) because they are slower.
Old 01-22-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use two separate drives at home as I've had quite a bit of trouble in the past with partitioned drives.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16