Reload this Page >

Anyone Have Cricket Broadband?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-02-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I desperately need a new ISP. I am sick of dealing with cable internet BS. In the last month, I had almost 10 complete service outages, sometimes lasting longer than 24 hours, and constant speed drops.

I've been looking at Cricket broadband, and it looks interesting and simple. I would like to hear from any customers. How does it setup, and is the connection reliable? One big drawback is I use Vonage with an adapter for ethernet cords. Is there any way to use cricket with Vonage?
Old 02-02-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anyone Have Cricket Broadband?

who's your ISP? i have time warner cable and for the last month it's been great
Old 02-02-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
who's your ISP? i have time warner cable and for the last month it's been great
Charter HSI. They have the most annoying automated tech support. It almost refuses to let you talk to a live human being.
Old 02-03-10, 05:55 PM

I've been using Cricket for a little over a month now. I'm very satisfied with it. Set up is simple, the s/w comes loaded on the modem. You can see the demo here: http://www.mycricket.com/broadband
Obviously, Cricket is a little slower but not noticeable for basic activities, except for watching streaming video, etc. I was pleasantly surprised. Haven't tried mega downloads but it's probably slower, too. Reliablilty is good. It seems to hang occasionally, once a day with heavy usage, not sure whether it's Google (waiting for ad servers, a Twitter search usually indicates others complaining about a slowdown in the same timeframe) or because it's rush hour and everyone is using the cell towers. Not enough to be more than a minor annoyance. Usually I just log off my system and return. Overall, I'm happy with it. Can't comment on Vonage, not familiar with it. Also, check their coverage map for your area.

The free modem after rebates offer hooked me. I checked out Verizon mobile broadband 6 months ago but they wanted a 2 year contract and I was leery to sign up not knowing what actual speeds would be like.

Last edited by dleedlee; 02-03-10 at 08:09 PM.