DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: anyone going laptop only?

Only laptop for me going on 2 years
Old 02-03-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I move from country to country. That being said - my very first computer (1989) was a Zenith "laptop", although that meant 16 pounds back then. Anyway - I've owned nothing but laptops since day 1 and have never been disappointed. I do a lot of intensive photo work - even with stuff in the 1 GB size range and am quite satisfied. Of course when I buy a new laptop I spend a bundle and get the very fastest which I can afford. At this time I have a VAIO VGN-FE790P running XP-Pro SP3, T-7200 @ 2.0 GHz (2 CPUs), etc., etc.
Old 02-11-10, 09:20 PM
Banned

I own a laptop and a desktop, I was a heavy laptop user when I first got it until the power jack died on me... now it's gonna cost almost half what I paid for it to get it fixed, I'm back to the desktop PC.
Old 02-11-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

18 years of laptop.My first was a NEC.Since then from Toshiba, to IBM to DELL ,Sony,Acer and now HP.
Old 02-12-10, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have never owned a Laptop, will if and when I need one, my PC works well for me plus I like my 24" and 19" monitors, kind of got spoiled on having so much work space. I use my phone for simple needs while out.
Old 02-12-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though I just bought my first laptop, I cannot imagine having only that as my primary pc.

I have too many things going on with my main pc and my home network. The laptop is part of that setup.
Old 02-12-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Nope. I love my desktop power. I would have to spend a shitload if I want performance similar to my desktop.
Old 02-12-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
Even though I just bought my first laptop, I cannot imagine having only that as my primary pc.

I have too many things going on with my main pc and my home network. The laptop is part of that setup.
Interesting. I do quite a bit: software development, media authoring, etc. pretty much everything but gaming on my notebooks.
Old 02-12-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Interesting. I do quite a bit: software development, media authoring, etc. pretty much everything but gaming on my notebooks.
If that works for you, great.

As mentioned by several others, my new laptop does not even approach the power of my older desktop. I can't imagine trying to do Photoshop or Lightroom photo work on RAW files on a laptop, even with the 16" screen it has. My dual monitors are far better suited for that.

How many drives does your laptop have access to? Other peripherals? Once you take a laptop and plop it on a desk and connect things to it, that is defeatng its purpose, to be portable. Are you sharing files across a home network? Streaming audio and video to other rooms or displays?

I love my new laptop but it is a portable backup solution for my photo hobby, nothing more.
Old 02-12-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As mentioned by several others, my new laptop does not even approach the power of my older desktop. I can't imagine trying to do Photoshop or Lightroom photo work on RAW files on a laptop, even with the 16" screen it has. My dual monitors are far better suited for that.

How many drives does your laptop have access to? Other peripherals? Once you take a laptop and plop it on a desk and connect things to it, that is defeatng its purpose, to be portable. Are you sharing files across a home network? Streaming audio and video to other rooms or displays?

I love my new laptop but it is a portable backup solution for my photo hobby, nothing more.
In addition to an internal 500GB HD I have 2 1TB harddrives attached to my system. Heavy video, audio, and image manipulation worked just fine on my Sony Vaio, and now with a new Macbook Pro, I manage just fine with either OSX or boot-camped XP.

I had a 2nd monitor for my Sony and plan to get a 2nd one for my MBP. fully configured there are only 3 cables (AC, USB, Display) that need to be detached to go portable. That does NOT defeat the purpose of going portable.

But yes, it works for me and I'm delighted that I can work that way and not have my work suffer because I use a notebook vs a desktop.
Old 02-13-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Different strokes, I guess. I run Lightroom with no problems on my MBP laptop, and its two and a half years old. I keep my photos on my internal hard drive, and backed up on an external drive as well as online.

When my laptop is on my desk, it's connected to a second monitor. But I've still got the portability I like when travelling or simply sitting in front of the TV. I just disconnect the power cable and the monitor's DVI cable.

I can understand wanting a desktop if you need the gaming power, but I don't think I've played a computer game since before I got the original Xbox in 2002. I suppose some people might really need the screen real estate as well, but like I said, it never comes up even when I'm organizing and editing photos.
Old 02-13-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my case, I still like a desktop PC for two reasons:

1) I can use a larger size monitor for easier text and graphics readability.

2) I can use a good keyboard and mouse pointer (I have the Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard and my trusty old Logitech MX500 mouse pointer) for comfortable usage for many hours at a time.
Old 02-13-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Different strokes, I guess. I run Lightroom with no problems on my MBP laptop, and its two and a half years old.
Exactly.

I run Lightroom just fine on my brand new laptop as well but I find the small cramped keyboard and touchpad annoying for serious work. By the time I have connected a mouse and backup hard drive to my laptop, I might as well be sitting at my desktop with a nice big desk, big monitors, real speakers etc.

Everyone has a preference, I simply prefer a desktop unless I need to travel, which is why I bought the laptop.
Old 02-13-10, 11:03 AM

I like to game, so no, I'll never ditch my desktop for a laptop.

Yes, I know you can game on a laptop, but the top-of-the-line graphics solutions still don't approach a medium/high end GPU on a desktop (and cost much more).
Old 12-28-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

after much deliberation i decided laptop only. waiting for next year when Sandy Bridge comes out

don't want a wasted corner at home for a desktop. going to buy something with 500GB or so of storage to mostly hold photos and do light gaming.

i was looking at the Steam sale and almost every game i want is on x-box or PS3 which i have as well

will probably get the new iPad as well when it comes out. the laptop will be the host for it and the iPad to take everywhere and replace books and kid educational crap
Old 12-29-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last week, I was working on two old laptops a relative gave me and definitely am fed up with laptops. Hardware-wise, doing one thing on the desktop would just take a minute, but on the laptop, it takes forever.
Old 12-29-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My pc tower has a little over $200 in hardware:

Athlon II X3 440 3.0 Ghz
Biostar MCP6P
XFX 1GB HD 4850
DVDRW
Western Digital Blue 7200RPM 500GB
4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX
Case with 2-120mm and 1-80mm fan
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W 80+ PSU

Not sure what a comparable laptop would cost, but i'm sure it would be much more.
Old 12-29-10, 12:18 PM
Banned

My sister bought me a laptop in 2008 (in thanks for saving her over 5K on her taxes), and I've never looked back.

After enjoying all the benefits of portability, I'm unlikely to ever own a tower again.
Old 12-31-10, 09:26 PM

im going laptop..on my next computer...im going into pc gaming..do you recommend a laptop gaming pc? whats the pros and cons...thanks
Old 01-01-11, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by themaskedvirgin View Post
im going laptop..on my next computer...im going into pc gaming..do you recommend a laptop gaming pc? whats the pros and cons...thanks
I recommend that you skip gaming and get into something worthwhile, like business admin courses at your local college.

But you'd already know that if you read the "Grindhouse/Lemmy hates gaming" thread.

" 'Tis better to become The Man than to slave under his thumb for all of your days." - wise words from some amazing dude named...well, you know.