Maxtor 30 Gig HD
128 Meg PC133 Micron
Nvidia Riva 16Meg Video
Toshiba DVD ROM
Teac Floppy
Memorex 4x2x24 CDRW
Front side Case Fan
Dell 17in Monitor

My consern is the ASUS utility say's my processor is running at 160 -170 degrees (that seems pretty warm to me). The processor came out of a Dell machine and only has the heatsink, I can not find a way to remove the heatsink and install a Orb Fan.

Is the processor running to warm and/or is there a way I can add a fan to the processor?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I seriously doubt that your processor is running at 160 degrees; even in Farenheit, processor death temperature is well below that, and if that figure's in celsius, then you'd be seeing your processor disappear out the side of your case in a puff of smoke... Absolute maximum temperature should be ~50 C (120 F) and ideally you don't want to get much over 30 C under normal conditions. Basically, you NEED a fan; a heatsink on its own just will not do the job sufficiently. We have to assume that your temperature probe is f***ed, so you'll have to do it the old fashioned way. If you can get at your processor, try touching it just after it's been on for a while (after you've switched everything off of course!) it shouldn't be much more than warm. If it's actually so hot you can't keep your finger on it, you're getting seriously overheated.
Old 01-18-01, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

read table 1

http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../thermal.htm#4

I would say you are probably at the upper limit. I also heard that the ASUS temp guage is not very accurate, so I am not sure.
Old 01-18-01, 06:09 PM

I have the same board, it's known for temp. reading problems.

On my system, the hardware monitor in the bios seems to be more accurate. Many people have solved their problems by changing the slocket they use, though some slot pIII have the same problem.

One of the great things about this board is that it has a large following. Try posting at www.overclockers.com.au in there p3v4x forum for more help.
Old 01-18-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually bought a fanpack thing that fits into the front of the case in place of a drive. It has four fans and keeps the entire inside of the case pretty cool.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-18-01, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had heating problems, was with cpu though, the temp. went up and up to 72 celcius before I stopped checking and returned it.
Old 01-18-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

first are you using the slot 1 or slocket?
do you have a heatsink and fan on it ?
how many other fans do you have and where are they- is the front fan the only one? is it going in or out -i assume in. get another fan for the rear of the case.
if the fan and heatsink are not the retail fan but one you or someone put on then check to make sure it is on right. many heatsinks come with a pad on the bottom of them- it is often best to remove it and use a thermal compound to conduct the heat to the heatsink. i believe artic silver is very popular.
also use cpu cooling on the asus probe and do not use the smart fan option as this seems to create other problems. I assume the MB is the p3v4x
go to this site for other cooling tips and general p3v4x info.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdis play.cgi?action=topics&forum=Asus+P3V4X&number=7&DaysPrune=30&LastLogin=
EDIT: reread the post- you are not using a cpu fan!!?? turn off the computer get one- do not boot up until you do. the processor was made to run with both a heatsink and fan. you are risking the cpu and the temps are very likely real temp readings! Not good.EDIT

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old 01-18-01, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclis...4.asp#BEGINNER GUIDES
go here and see about removing the heatsink.

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited January 18, 2001).]
Old 01-19-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by DVDs4ME:
The processor came out of a Dell machine and only has the heatsink

Heatsink with fan, or just heatsink? If you don't have a fan on there, that is the cause of your problems.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 01-19-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Goblincat:
Heatsink with fan, or just heatsink? If you don't have a fan on there, that is the cause of your problems.

I have a PIII 700 OC'ed to 735 and have nothing but a plain heatsink (no fan) my temp hangs in the high 30's (38 39 celcius)

Many high end computers (server class) use just a plain heatsink and no fan due to the reliablity issue (fans die). If the heatsink is big enough/designed properly it should not be an issue.

I will say adding a fan will most definitely reduce your heat, don't get me wrong, all I want to say is that there are plenty of machines that run with heatsink only.
Old 01-19-01, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. The info has greatly increased my knowledge in CPU temps and OCing. While I do not plan on overclocking this CPU I do want to keep it for its full life expectancy.

My major problem has been finding instructions on how to remove the factory heatsink and install a heatsink fan combo. The currnet case fans are configured to intake from the front and exhaust from the back. Keep the ideas coming, all help is appreciated.
Old 01-20-01, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree a good heatsink in a well cooled case can provide enough cooling. However I do believe he is getting accurate results from the asus probe on the cpu temps unless he has gone into the bios and looked at the hardware monitor directly to see if the temp reading is not accurate.( go into the bios and go to the hardware monitor and watch the temps for awhile and see if the go up to the temps reported by the asus probe software.

The intel heatsinks installed on the retail cpu's are not very good according to everything i have read. also intel assumes that these will be used with the retail fan they install on the cpu with the heatsink. the oem cpu's do not come with either heatsink or fan allowing you to place a better quality heatsink or both on it from what i understand.
If i am wrong 4KRG i am sure you will let me know
I would see about at least buying a retail intel fan from someone and installing it to reduce to temps. if you are not sure how to do it call around to some computer shops to find the price for them to do it for you.
Old 01-20-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gcribbs

This is the line that has me

"The processor came out of a Dell machine and only has the heatsink"

What kind of Dell machine? If it was an optiplex, then yes it is overheating. This heatsink was not designed to work outside the optiplex cooling system. If it was from something like a poweredge server, then no big deal, the asus temp probe must be off.

We have no idea what kind of heatsink this really is. For non or minor OC'ing the intel retail pack heatsink and fan combo is pretty good. The reason others come without such heatsink and fan is they were designed for OEMs and never intended (by intel) to be sold to the public naked.

The nice heatsink I hae on mine came out of Compaq Proliant server, and even with a minor OC I have no heat problems. It is all in the design.
Old 01-20-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes, that is why i bet the probe is right. this is probably out of a consumer level dell and he is running it too hot. I agree the retail heatsink fan combo can be used for overclocking. my p3 800e running at 880Mhz with no change to the voltage is an example of this it runs in the low 30"s with an case temp of 24C. peaks in the low 40's which is acceptable for me.
Old 01-21-01, 10:43 PM

Thanks for all the info. The processor did come out of a Dell Optiplex and does not have a fan. I have taken a second case fan and positioned it to blow air across the heatsink for the time being. Current temp is 31C, so I feel better for now. I am still looking for a way to remove the heatsink and install possibly an Alpha or a G'orb cooler. If anyone runs across instructions on how to remove the heatsink please let me know. I have looked and posted on overclockers.com but have not recieved any responses. Thanks for your quick resposes, I am sure you saved me from burning up my processor and saved me alot of money.
Old 01-22-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

go to the australia overclockers website first. this is a site that has a forum devoted to the p3v4x board. someone at the site should be able to help you.
http://www.overclockers.com.au/