Reload this Page >

Windows Mobile 7 aka the Zune Phone

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-01-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor is that it's going to be announced this month in Spain. looking nice. Apple better step up with iPhone OS 4 and address some of the complaints.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...t-at-mwc-2010/
Old 02-04-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Windows Mobile 7 aka the Zune Phone

As I talked about in my review for the Zune HD, I'm completely sold on the Zune Marketplace and Zune on-device interface. The Zune on-device browser and pc client are both also pretty good. WM7 will probably have a good, finger-friendly interface, support capacitive touch, allow multi-tasking (which WM always has) and incorporate a Zune-integrated media player. If they can get some good developers going on Apps, they're certainly going to be a serious challenge for Android. WM has always been a flexible, extensible OS, but hardly consumer-friendly. In particular, their interface is at least two years behind the times.
Old 02-04-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
As I talked about in my review for the Zune HD, I'm completely sold on the Zune Marketplace and Zune on-device interface.
I WAS completely sold on it too... until tracks that I outright purchased were no longer playable. It is one thing when tracks are made unavailable from the Zune Pass, but when I pay for a track I expect to be able to keep it. Not all tracks are available on MP3 format and there have been numerous times when DRM-ed .wma tracks that have been purchased no longer play because MS removes the permission from their server and deactivates tracks that have been purchased.

What makes the Zune Marketplace so appealing to you?
Old 02-15-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Officially announced as Windows Phone 7 Series. I think the UI looks pretty slick.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...d-impressions/

The phone operating system does away with pretty much every scrap of previous mobile efforts from Microsoft, from the look and feel down to the underlying code -- everything is brand new. 7 Series has rebuilt Windows Mobile from the ground up, featuring a completely altered home screen and user interface experience, robust Xbox LIVE and Zune integration, and vastly new and improved social networking tools. Gone is the familiar Start screen, now replaced with "tiles" which scroll vertically and can be customized as quick launches, links to contacts, or self contained widgets. The look of the OS has also been radically upended, mirroring the Zune HD experience closely, replete with that large, iconic text for menus, and content transitions which elegantly (and dimensionally) slide a user into and out of different views. The OS is also heavily focused on social networking, providing integrated contact pages which show status updates from multiple services and allow fast jumps to richer cloud content (such as photo galleries). The Xbox integration will include LIVE games, avatars, and profiles, while the Zune end of things appears to be a carbon copy of the standalone device's features (including FM radio).
Old 02-15-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?...ontent;wrapper

More info.

In the press release, Microsoft stated there will be six hubs on Windows Phone 7 Series devices, including:

People. This hub delivers an engaging social experience by bringing together relevant content based on the person, including his or her live feeds from social networks and photos. It also provides a central place from which to post updates to Facebook and Windows Live in one step.
Pictures. This hub makes it easy to share pictures and video to a social network in one step. Windows Phone 7 Series also brings together a user’s photos by integrating with the Web and PC, making the phone the ideal place to view a person’s entire picture and video collection.
Games. This hub delivers the first and only official Xbox LIVE experience on a phone, including Xbox LIVE games, Spotlight feed and the ability to see a gamer’s avatar, Achievements and gamer profile. With more than 23 million active members around the world, Xbox LIVE unlocks a world of friends, games and entertainment on Xbox 360, and now also on Windows Phone 7 Series.
Music + Video. This hub creates an incredible media experience that brings the best of Zune, including content from a user’s PC, online music services and even a built-in FM radio into one simple place that is all about music and video. Users can turn their media experience into a social one with Zune Social on a PC and share their media recommendations with like-minded music lovers. The playback experience is rich and easy to navigate, and immerses the listener in the content.
Marketplace. This hub allows the user to easily discover and load the phone with certified applications and games.
Office. This hub brings the familiar experience of the world’s leading productivity software to the Windows Phone. With access to Office, OneNote and SharePoint Workspace all in one place, users can easily read, edit and share documents. With the additional power of Outlook Mobile, users stay productive and up to date while on the go.
Won't be ready until the end of the year though. Microsoft forcing minimum specs should help avoid the sluggishness that there is in Android devices not named the Nexus One or Droid. I really like the Zune UI, so I think it's great that they have gone this route.

Official Site - http://www.windowsphone7series.com/

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-15-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I WAS completely sold on it too... until tracks that I outright purchased were no longer playable. It is one thing when tracks are made unavailable from the Zune Pass, but when I pay for a track I expect to be able to keep it. Not all tracks are available on MP3 format and there have been numerous times when DRM-ed .wma tracks that have been purchased no longer play because MS removes the permission from their server and deactivates tracks that have been purchased.

What makes the Zune Marketplace so appealing to you?
You seem to have the worst luck ever with Zune. I have three players and three computers all using my Zune Pass and have had zero problems. Don't really know what to say.

I already detailed why, but I'll say it again here... reasons I like Zune:
1. Attractive, intuitive and stable (if heavy) PC client
2. Basically every track ever released instantly available anywhere I can get wifi, which makes whether or not I actually have the track in my collection or on my player irrelevant.
3. Good smart-playlisting that has introduced me to a bunch of new artists I like.

If you're like me and like to have new music made available constantly and don't want to pirate, spend a lot of time thinking about it or spend a lot of money, it's an ideal solution. I already have about 60 gigs of non-DRM music (mostly ripped from CD) so I don't really need to build a "base" anymore, I just want to hear new stuff. The subscription model works for me and Zune seems to have the best subscription available. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-15-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Skimmed through the video and the GUI looks very nice. Makes the iPhone loom like windows 3.1. I've read the guy who designed it was hired from Nike.

Only gripe is no flash support in version 1
Old 02-15-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I would never say this again but I'm really excited about a WinMo release!

The Engadget article is really good explaining why we should care. It basically doesn't look like something from Microsoft. At least not compared with the previous versions of Windows Mobile. I saw the video on Engadget and got really excited seeing that thing work. It looks really smooth, it works pretty well. No flash support yet but they are going to try everyone to use Silverlight. I'm not sure if they are going to HTML5, I hope so.

If this was the new iPhone everybody would be excited.

So, now I have to wait for the new iPhone anouncement. I will probably upgrade to the new iPhone when it's released this summer. WinMo 7 is suppose to be released by the end of the year, so I'd be looking at going back to a WinMo phone by summer 2011.
Old 02-15-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gizmodo has a pretty lengthy article and is pretty much raving about it.

http://gizmodo.com/5471805/windows-p.../full+(Gizmodo)

The name—Windows Phone 7 Series—is a mouthful, and unfortunately, the epitome of Microsoft's worst naming instincts, belying the simple fact that it's the most groundbreaking phone since the iPhone. It's the phone Microsoft should've made three years ago. In the same way that the Windows 7 desktop OS was nearly everything people hoped it would be, Windows Phone 7 is almost everything anyone could've dreamed of in a phone, let alone a Microsoft phone. It changes everything. Why? Now that Microsoft has filled in its gaping chasm of suck with a meaningful phone effort, the three most significant companies in desktop computing—Apple, Google and Microsoft—now stand to occupy the same positions in mobile. Phones are officially computers that happen to fit in your pocket.
The long time before phones actually come out kind of suck though, since like Raul3, people are waiting for the next iPhone. The Outlook portion intrigues me greatly... been looking for a new Blackberry lately for work, maybe i'll get a cheaper Curve instead of shelling out the dough for a Bold 9700 with this thing coming out.
Old 02-15-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rumors of no multi tasking which seems odd since previous WinMo versions had it seems like a big step back in that regard if true.
Old 02-15-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bet ms and apple have some secret agreement to cripple their own products to keep their current business relationship going
Old 02-16-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, no flash and no multitasking. That's something. I hope they still keep cut and paste.

I had a good laugh checking the thread for this in macrumors, people are getting really excited and the fanboys can't handle it.
Old 02-18-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Yeah, no flash and no multitasking. That's something. I hope they still keep cut and paste.

I had a good laugh checking the thread for this in macrumors, people are getting really excited and the fanboys can't handle it.
According to ppcgeeks

After reviewing the documents, you’ll see that Windows Phone 7 Series is capable of multi-tasking. Most developers won’t get complete access to native APIs, probably for security reasons. The main developer tools will be Visual Studio and Expression Blend for the XAML UI. Silverlight will also be support, as well as XNA, which is the same programming language used for ZuneHD and X-Box Live games development.
Old 02-18-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks pretty darn cool. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this device to potentially replace my Blackberry next year.
Old 03-11-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm looking to buy a new phone in the upcoming month(s), I'm curious to see how Win Mobile 7 will turn out. Any thoughts on the feature set announced vs. Android?

I currently have an iPhone (1st gen), not the biggest fan of iPhone OS though it isn't bad for what it is, am looking forward to upgrading. Not sure how I feel about the Win Mo 7 interface quite yet (and wasn't surprised to read it's from a former Nike designer) but it isn't bad. Proceeding with some caution, the last version of WinMo I used was anything but stable.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-11-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm looking to buy a new phone in the upcoming month(s), I'm curious to see how Win Mobile 7 will turn out. Any thoughts on the feature set announced vs. Android?

I currently have an iPhone (1st gen), not the biggest fan of iPhone OS though it isn't bad for what it is, am looking forward to upgrading. Not sure how I feel about the Win Mo 7 interface quite yet (and wasn't surprised to read it's from a former Nike designer) but it isn't bad. Proceeding with some caution, the last version of WinMo I used was anything but stable.
Having owned a mobile Windows device of one sort or another for 10 years, and having owned an Android G1 for a year, I can say that Android is by far the best mobile OS experience I've had yet. I have zero interest in WP7S.

Stability, apps, browser, cloud syncing, etc. are just a few of the things that make Android better than WinMo. (IMO)
Old 03-11-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Having owned a mobile Windows device of one sort or another for 10 years, and having owned an Android G1 for a year, I can say that Android is by far the best mobile OS experience I've had yet. I have zero interest in WP7S.

Stability, apps, browser, cloud syncing, etc. are just a few of the things that make Android better than WinMo. (IMO)
I will give you apps, and maybe stability (although my cooked 6.5 rom running sense 2.5 is stable)

But I am completely impressed by Opera Mobile/Mini, I have used Android's browser (I think Dolphin) and the Iphone's browser and I think other than multi touch Opera is on par.

You can cloud sync with microsoft myphone, but I don't know enough about Androids to compare.

As far as this Windows I am looking forward to checking it out, although I am going to reserve judgement until I get to play with it.

Screenshot of a game that is coming to the new platform.

Old 03-12-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm totally clueless about Android, so no opinion there.

For the last 10 years I've used WinMo and then iPhone phones. The last 2+ years with an iPhone of course, and I'm now interested in the Windows Mobile 7 phone. It's not trying to be an iPhone copy cat, a totally different concept, that's why I'm interested.

But like I said before, I'm 90% sure that I'll upgrade my 3G to the new iPhone version that's going to be released this summer.
Old 03-15-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new details from today make more excited about this.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/m...rs-sling/?s=t5

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/c...apps-on-windo/

etc.
Old 03-15-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, they really give the developers a much easier time than Apple does to produce apps. I would consder getting rid of my iPhone if this becomes good.
Old 03-16-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a few basic questions, since I need a phone soon....I hate my current Samsung Eternity.

What carrier will this be for? Will it be exclusive like Apple or is MS not limiting themselves?

Also, will the form factor be like the Zune HD? Will it have an OLED screen also like the Zune HD? This has me interested.

Sorry if these are addressed in the links.....

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 03-16-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow View Post
Just a few basic questions, since I need a phone soon....I hate my current Samsung Eternity.

What carrier will this be for? Will it be exclusive like Apple or is MS not limiting themselves?

Also, will the form factor be like the Zune HD? Will it have an OLED screen also like the Zune HD? This has me interested.

Sorry if these are addressed in the links.....
It won't be out until the end of the year, so if you're looking for something in the next few months this won't be it.

This is just the OS, so there will probably be versions from different phone manufacturer's on all different carriers.

These are the sample phones that have been shown so far -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/15/t...-all-in-a-row/
Old 03-16-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It won't be exclusive to any carrier.

And yeah, it will be released Q4 2010.
Old 03-16-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ohhh, I see...just the OS. So, Microsoft has no interest in producing Hardware like Apple? I think an OLED Zune phone would be sweet.

I don't think I am eligible for an upgrade until November anyways with AT&T....

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 03-16-10 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there are still rumors of the teenie project Pink phone that is designed by the Sidekick/Danger team. Microsoft doesn't usually like to produce their own hardware except a few select cases like the X-Box and keyboards/mice/joysticks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.