Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question (If you have a cable modem and use Napster)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question (If you have a cable modem and use Napster)

Old 01-21-01, 05:08 PM
Banned

I've been tinkering with downloading some music from Napster and I'm having a blast with it. The downside is that I have a 56K modem and AOL as my ISP. A typical 4MB download is averaging 10-12 minutes. After the initial rush of enjoying the cool new music, the slow pace is sucking the very life from me.

I found that my cable company offers a fairly affordable high speed cable internet connection in my neighborhood.

My question is, if you have a cable modem and use Napster, what is a typical download time for you? Assume a 4MB file size and a cable-to-cable transfer. Thanks...
Old 01-21-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just remember that with Napster, the speed of the other person's connection is just as important as yours, so even if you do get a cable modem, you won't necessarily be able to download everything at whizzy fast speeds...
Old 01-21-01, 05:31 PM

I have a cable connection (Cnd $30 per month here, that is Us $20 per month) and if the other guy has a fast connection you can listen to the song while donwloading it
Old 01-21-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Real Boba Fett:
I have a cable connection (Cnd $30 per month here, that is Us $20 per month) and if the other guy has a fast connection you can listen to the song while donwloading it

How do you pay $30, did you buy the modem, or sign up for a long contract?

Old 01-21-01, 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by huzefa:
How do you pay $30, did you buy the modem, or sign up for a long contract?

I have a Motorola modem (that is mine, I bought it) and I pay each month cnd 30$ (US $20). I don't have a contract, I can stop when I want (well at the end of the month).
Old 01-22-01, 12:49 AM

I have a cable modem and depending on the other person's connections you can get really good speeds. I've gotten up to 150-200 Kbps. I usually don't even bother downloading a song if the connection is less than 30 Kbps.

Here's a catch though. I have an AT&T @Home connection with an upload speed cap (about 10-12 Kbps max). If I go on Napster and allow file sharing not only do people who take songs from me have their speed limited to about 10 Kbps, my download speed from other users drops considerably when someone is downloading from me. I might be getting a download speed of over 100 Kbps but as soon as someone tries to get a file from my computer that speed with drop to around 20 Kbps. Therefore when ever I'm on Napster now I have to disable file sharing. I kind of feel bad about it because I have a lot of good and rare stuff I used to enjoy sharing when I had a high speed connection through school, but now I just can't.