Reload this Page >

Looking to Buy an External Hard Drive

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-31-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some questions here, I've never bought an External Hard Drive but I have a ton of stuff on my iMac and would like to free up some space.

1. Aside from Time Machine (which I assume IS a hard drive) what are some other good ones?

2. How does it work? Just plug it into the computer and it appears on screen (like a flash drive) and then I can click and drag whatever I want on said hard drive?

3. If something says that it can be "reformatted for Mac users" what does reformatting entail?

That's pretty much it.

Last edited by The Monkees; 01-31-10 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 09:16 AM

Re: Looking to Buy an External Hard Drive

I've used Western Digital and Maxtor drives with no problems. The drive will show up when plugged in but you may need to reformat it using the Disk Utility program.

I would suggest getting a drive that has a FireWire connection. This will allow you to clone your system to your hard drive and boot from it if something goes wrong with your internal drive. On my Maxtor I have basic disc images of all my computers on my external drive.
Old 01-31-10, 09:58 AM
Banned

Get the 1TB Western Digital Passport. It works perfectly.
Old 01-31-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because of the failure problems of other/larger drives, I prefer the Seagate Freeagaent Go models.

Emphasis on the "Go" part.

They are also just about the fastest USB hard drives to boot.
Old 01-31-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a jaz drive

Joking, those things held 1gb per tape. What a joke. I paid a couple hundred for one back in the day, it was obsolete within months.
Old 01-31-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Because of the failure problems of other/larger drives, I prefer the Seagate Freeagaent Go models.

Emphasis on the "Go" part.

They are also just about the fastest USB hard drives to boot.
I just got a 640 gig Go... these things are tiny. I love it so far.
Old 01-31-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
Get a jaz drive

Joking, those things held 1gb per tape. What a joke. I paid a couple hundred for one back in the day, it was obsolete within months.

I still have like 2 or 3 of the 2 gig SCSI Jaz drives around here somewhere.
Old 02-01-10, 12:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Get the 1TB Western Digital Passport. It works perfectly.
I have two of the older WD Passports, and love them.

But I've read that the latest WD Passports have some nasty pre-installed software that takes over the drive and is impossible (or just difficult) to remove. Is that true? I noticed that Amazon review scores have plummeted on these newer models.

Back to the OP. Keep in mind that portable HDs usually require a short cord (around 12-inches) since they're USB powered. That's a problem for some users. The desktop external drives are usually powered by an AC plug.
Old 05-14-10, 06:07 PM

I just bought a WD My Book Essential 1TB HDD and it says it requires reformatting for Mac use. But I have no clue how to do this since it came with no user manual. I plugged it into my iMac and I opened it and it has a user manual. It says to physically connect the drive which obviously I already did. Then it says to double click on the WD SmartWare virtual CD which I don't see but I clicked on the actual icon that they show in the example and it says:

There is no writeable WD SmartWare partition available on this WD drive. This can occur if you are attempting to write to a WD drive formatted for a different operating system, or if the drive is locked. Please make sure that this WD drive is formatted for the operating system you are currently working on, and that the drive is unlocked.

I'm not really sure how to format it for my Mac or check to see if the drive is unlocked. Any help please?

Also I have Snow Leopard 10.6.2
Old 05-14-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
I just bought a WD My Book Essential 1TB HDD and it says it requires reformatting for Mac use. But I have no clue how to do this since it came with no user manual. I plugged it into my iMac and I opened it and it has a user manual. It says to physically connect the drive which obviously I already did. Then it says to double click on the WD SmartWare virtual CD which I don't see but I clicked on the actual icon that they show in the example and it says:

There is no writeable WD SmartWare partition available on this WD drive. This can occur if you are attempting to write to a WD drive formatted for a different operating system, or if the drive is locked. Please make sure that this WD drive is formatted for the operating system you are currently working on, and that the drive is unlocked.

I'm not really sure how to format it for my Mac or check to see if the drive is unlocked. Any help please?

Also I have Snow Leopard 10.6.2
I'm not sure since I don't own a Mac, but possibly like this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....6147&#11266147
Old 05-15-10, 12:20 AM

I figured it out, I was just about to come back here and say nevermind, but I greatly appreciate it thank you!