Reload this Page >

Questions on Switching from a PC to a Mac

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-30-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the disappointing Ipad, I am thinking of going with a Mac Book Pro. Been a PC user all my life.

1. All my iTunes is on my PC, can I just copy it over to the Mac and it will work?

2. Will the Mac be able to connect to my Wifi and share the same connection with my PC? Is this easy to accomplish?

3. I have a Wifi printer and a NAS. Assuming I can connect the Mac to my existing network, will I be able to use the Wifi Printer and NAS?

4. I've heard Macs can also run Windows (7?) with a program called boot camp. Is this easy to to do? I know I will need a full copy of Windows, but other than that, do I simply run the boot camp program and install Windows? Do I need additional programs for this to work?

Thanks for any and all responses!
Old 01-30-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Questions on Switching from a PC to a Mac

Originally Posted by bahgee View Post
After the disappointing Ipad, I am thinking of going with a Mac Book Pro. Been a PC user all my life.

1. All my iTunes is on my PC, can I just copy it over to the Mac and it will work?

2. Will the Mac be able to connect to my Wifi and share the same connection with my PC? Is this easy to accomplish?

3. I have a Wifi printer and a NAS. Assuming I can connect the Mac to my existing network, will I be able to use the Wifi Printer and NAS?

4. I've heard Macs can also run Windows (7?) with a program called boot camp. Is this easy to to do? I know I will need a full copy of Windows, but other than that, do I simply run the boot camp program and install Windows? Do I need additional programs for this to work?

Thanks for any and all responses!
1) Yes to mp3 files, you'll probably have to redownload anything with DRM involved. You will also have to resync your ipod/iphone which involves erasing it.

2) Yes

3) Check the printers website

4) Yes they can and yes it is, and no additional programs outside of Win 7 and Boot Camp from whhat I recall
Old 01-30-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. copy it to a USB drive or use an external hard drive. i have one formatted with NTFS and it is seen on my Mac Mini running Tiger

2. My Mini works with my ancient Linksys wifi router. Airport prices are ridiculous

3. check for printer drivers for that model

4. Apple just released official boot camp for Windows 7. you will need a full copy of Windows

Wait for the new MBP's to come out. Right now the hardware and pricing sucks compared to a Dell or HP. iMacs are OK and cheaper than a similar Dell. you have to be insane to pay $1600 for a laptop with a 9400M graphics card and $2000 for one with a 9600. they are old, ancient and obsolete

The whole iPad thing was a let down and i still plan on an iMac this year, but i might reconsider if Apple is going back to it's old games of being a closed platform. i don't mind it on the iphone, but not on what is supposed to be a real computer
Old 01-30-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) Moving your entire iTunes library is actually very easy, you shouldn't have to re-download anything. See:
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ew-hard-drive/
(Spoilered for length)
Spoiler:
Moving Between Operating Systems
Although the iTunes database format is the same for both the Windows and Mac OS X versions of iTunes, moving your iTunes library from Windows to Mac OS X or vice-versa is complicated by one other issue: The file systems between these two operating systems are completely different, so even though iTunes will be able to read the library database itself from the other operating system, it will not be able to make much sense of the paths stored in its library database. For example, where Windows uses drive letters, Mac OS X uses drive names, so there’s no way for Mac OS X to figure out what to do with a path like “D:Music.”

Fortunately, however, since iTunes will default to looking for any missing files in its normal iTunes Media folder, you can leverage this behavior when migrating your library to a different operating system.

To make this work, you must first ensure that iTunes has organized all of the files according to its default naming standard. This way, when you move the files onto the new operating system platform, iTunes will be able to find them in their default locations.

To do this, first visit your iTunes Advanced preferences.

If the “Keep iTunes Media folder organized” option is enabled, deselect it and click OK. Then, go back into your Advanced preferences and RE-select this option and again click OK.

This will tell iTunes to go through your iTunes Media folder and ensure that all music files are named according to its defaults. You will be shown a progress indicator while this is happening.

Once this has completed, perform a “Consolidate files” operation, as described earlier to bring in any referenced tracks that may exist outside of your iTunes Media folder.

Following these steps, your iTunes Media folder should be properly organized in the way that iTunes itself would expect to find it. You can then simply copy your entire iTunes folder and iTunes Media folder over to the new computer and operating system in the same way that you would transfer any other set of files. When iTunes starts, it won’t be able to find the music files by their specific location, but it will automatically and transparently “fall back” to looking in the default location where it would expect those files to be—in the iTunes Media folder. iTunes does this in the background transparently, so you won’t even notice it happening—things should just work.

Note: In many cases, automatically downloaded artwork may not appear properly when moving your iTunes library from Windows to Mac OS X or vice-versa. This issue should only affect automatically downloaded artwork, and can be easily resolved simply by asking iTunes to get the artwork again.

2) See previous post
3) See previous post

4) You'll need a full version (not upgrade) of Windows XP SP3, Vista, or 7. Each Mac comes with Boot Camp pre-installed, all you have to do is open it and follow the directions. All boot camp does is partition your hard drive and set boot options. It also burns a disc of drivers for you to install in Windows.

You can also run Windows in a virtual machine using Parallels Desktop, VM Ware Fusion, or, if you prefer open source, Virtual Box. Keep in mind that the virtual machines are good for word processors, finance software, etc. Anything processor-intensive is better off running natively in Boot Camp.

All three virtual machine programs can load your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, which is very convenient.
Old 01-30-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Wait for the new MBP's to come out. Right now the hardware and pricing sucks compared to a Dell or HP. iMacs are OK and cheaper than a similar Dell. you have to be insane to pay $1600 for a laptop with a 9400M graphics card and $2000 for one with a 9600. they are old, ancient and obsolete
Old, ancient, and obsolete is quite the hyperbole.
Old 01-30-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

those chips are like 2 years old. if you look at nvidia's performance charts for mobile parts they are way down at the bottom compared to their current offerings.

Core i5 and i7 is out for laptops and Dell and HP both have laptops that use those chips that are cheaper than a MBP which use the soon to be obsolete Core 2 Duo. and I believe once Apple goes core i5 there will be no more 9400M due to licensing issues with Intel
Old 01-30-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

those chips are like 2 years old. if you look at nvidia's performance charts for mobile parts they are way down at the bottom compared to their current offerings.

Core i5 and i7 is out for laptops and Dell and HP both have laptops that use those chips that are cheaper than a MBP which use the soon to be obsolete Core 2 Duo. and I believe once Apple goes core i5 there will be no more 9400M due to licensing issues with Intel
It doesn't change my belief that calling the current Macbooks old, ancient, and obsolete is still hyperbole.
Old 01-31-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the CPU is not new, but that's because intel is still only producing them at it's dev fab in Oregon. over the next few months they are going to produce them at other fabs as well

for graphics, apple has no excuse in shipping a "premium" notebook with obsolete graphics. especially at the prices they charge
Old 01-31-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All, thanks for the replies and helpful info.

Shaun3000 thanks for the info on the virtual machine, did not know that bit.

So, any guess when the mac books will be refreshed? It seems they update the iphone every year. Where in the cycle are they with the mac books?
Old 01-31-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a thread at the macrumors buying advice forum that it's any day now. They were supposed to be announced last week but were pulled at the last minute
Old 01-31-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro
Old 01-31-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty cool site. On my bookmarks now!
Old 01-31-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

To expand a bit on question 3, since no one really addressed the part about the NAS...it depends on the enclosure. I know of at least one Netgear model that does not offer any Mac support. I have had no problems using any Linux-based NAS solutions with a Mac.
Old 02-01-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the NAS, it is an HP MV2120 for which there are no drivers on HP's site, so I guess it is not compatible. Which leads me to another set of questions:

1. If I boot into windows, will I then be able to use my NAS since it is windows compatible?
2. While booted into windows, will I be able to access the files on the other partition? For example, if my iTunes is on the mac partition, and I boot into windows, will I be able to access the music files stored on the mac partition?
Old 02-01-10, 03:36 PM

I thought the hardest part of the transition for me would be acting like a smug douchebag. But, as it turns out, that came naturally.
Old 02-01-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The HP NAS works fine with Macs. I would think most NAS devices would be compatible with any operating system without any drivers. They use network protocols, after all.
http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-v...little-penguin
Old 02-01-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome! Thanks for the gizmodo link. I guess as long the mac can get on the network, I'll be able to access the NAS.

Any thoughts on accessing mac partioned files while booted in windows and vice versa?
Old 02-01-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome! Thanks for the gizmodo link. I guess as long the mac can get on the network, I'll be able to access the NAS.

Any thoughts on accessing mac partioned files while booted in windows and vice versa?
Old 02-01-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't looked at the settings in a while but I'm pretty sure the Mac and Windows partitions are discrete. The Mac side can go into the PC partition to grab files but the Windows side cannot see anything on the Mac partition.

You'd need to get Parallels or VMWare or something to do this. With Boot Camp, you boot into one or the other. With Parallels and VMWare, you run Windows inside the MacOS and can even run Windows apps along side Mac apps.
Old 02-02-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as accessing files, from OS X you can use MacFUSE and from Windows, I believe Boot Camp allows you to read (but not write to) your OS X partition.
Old 02-02-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

1. copy it to a USB drive or use an external hard drive. i have one formatted with NTFS and it is seen on my Mac Mini running Tiger

I thought OSX could only read Fat32. I don't have Snow Leopard, but I'm pretty sure Tiger can't read NTFS.
Old 02-02-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

that's what i thought

when someone gave me their mac mini two months ago i stripped my home build PC running Windows 7 and took out the two hard drives. bought an external HD thingy from thermaltake to connect it to any computer via USB. hooked it up to the Mac Mini and it saw it right away and i was able to browse the file system and copy files over. pretty sure it was NTFS since i haven't formatted any hard drive FAT32 for years now
Old 02-02-10, 10:13 AM

OS X has been able to read NTFS out of the box for a while (since at least Tiger). Installing the NTFS-3G addon gives you full read/write support.
Old 02-02-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again - now onto virus/firewall protection - I know I will need it for the Windows partition, but whats the verdict on Macs - any recommended software?

Is this Norton dual protection worth it?
http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/...0/pgm.47920400
Old 02-02-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again - now onto virus/firewall protection - I know I will need it for the Windows partition, but whats the verdict on Macs - any recommended software?
None.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.