Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to fix where a program opens on your screen at its startup?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-28-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Windows7 on my new laptop. I have the taskbar sitting at the top of my screen instead of at the bottom (the "start" button is located on my top left corner).

Each time I open media player, the player opens so that the top of that window is behind the taskbar. I have to hit "alt" and then select the "move" option and move it manually with the arrow keys. My question is: Is there a way to have media player (or any other program for that matter) open and appear at a specific spot that I determine instead of where the computer wants it?

thanks!
Old 01-28-10, 02:45 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How to fix where a program opens on your screen at its startup?

Some programs store in the registry where they were last placed on the screen, some don't. If they don't you can't be sure where they're going to start up.

I think I saw a program that provided this ability to the latter type a long time ago, but I don't know if it's worth going though the trouble of having to use it.
Old 01-28-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no, i don't want to use a program just for that. but for windows media player, it didn't used to do that but every time i open it now, it does that.

any other suggestions?
Old 01-28-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

resize the window and put it where you want it.. then hit file/exit, rather than closing with the X.. it should store that as the last open position, for next time..

if that doesnt do it.. try holding alt as you close the window in the location you want... might be ctrl.. but i believe its alt
Old 01-28-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

if that doesnt do it, try

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/Shittyp/1018607864
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/troub-11.html

Last edited by twikoff; 01-28-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-28-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
resize the window and put it where you want it.. then hit file/exit, rather than closing with the X.. it should store that as the last open position, for next time..
I don't remember closing the program using file --> exit and I most certainly didn't put the window up the very top of my screen underneath the taskbar before exiting. But anyway, that one worked. I didn't bother trying the other methods. Thanks twikoff!
Old 01-28-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I think I spoke too soon. Each time I close Media Player and reopen it, the window opens at the smallest size (the default?) and moves it up a few centimeters. After repeated closing and reopening, it creeps back up to the very top.

The first link you have there is invalid. The second link talks about remembering folder settings and if I've reached the limit of folder settings that windows remembers. I doubt that's the issue since I just got the laptop a few months ago and haven't changed that many settings yet. The first solution was closest to working, except its not permanent.