"A network cable is unplugged"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-27-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it isn't!

Recently cleaned up my machine from a virus/malware outbreak, and I got it pretty cleaned up but now I have no connection to the internet because "A network cable is unplugged". Thing is, the PC connects to my home LAN just fine, and I can share files, etc. And other devices on the LAN can connect to the internet.

So, clearly all cables are connected and working just fine. I tried disabling/enabling the network connection in Windows (XP SP3), and no luck. Help!
Old 01-27-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: "A network cable is unplugged"

Do you have a firewire card or port? I've seen Windows treat a firewire connection as a network connection and give this message before.

Go into Control Panel and find the Network Connections button and right click and choose properties. That should give a list of network devices it shows. If there's only one and it is your existing connection then I'm at a loss.
Old 01-27-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uninstall the ethernet card and then restart the computer. It should reinstall the drivers for the ethernet connection. That may fix it.
Old 01-27-10, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
Uninstall the ethernet card and then restart the computer. It should reinstall the drivers for the ethernet connection. That may fix it.
Sorry for what should be a silly question, but do you mean to just remove the ethernet card, let Windows recognize it's gone, and then shut down, reinsert the card and turn it back on?
Old 01-27-10, 12:45 PM

I don't have an active firewire port. My network connections properties shows four connections: Internet connection, and three LAN connections. All are active except one of the LAN connections, the one through my ethernet card. So I will try the above and see how it goes.
Old 01-27-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
Sorry for what should be a silly question, but do you mean to just remove the ethernet card, let Windows recognize it's gone, and then shut down, reinsert the card and turn it back on?
Right Click "My Computer" go to Properties, click the "Hardware" Tab, click the "Device Manager" Button, click the + next to "Network Adapters" then Right Click on your Ethernet card and pick Uninstall. Restart the computer to reinstall it.
Old 01-27-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If what Nifty03 suggests doesn't work you can go into Network Connections - Properties and disable the other connections and/or re-enable them to see if doing so to any of them gets rid of the message and connection is maintained.
Old 01-28-10, 10:35 AM

Well, what Nifty03/Mopower suggested didn't work unfortunately. I'm at work now but I'll have someone try disabling other connections when I talk to them.

If that doesn't work, would it be worth posting a hijackthis log or should I just proceed straight to reinstalling the OS?
Old 01-28-10, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/netw...ml#post1749093
Old 01-28-10, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MeatheadBMC View Post
Tried that before even coming here to ask the question

It HAS to be software related, right? I mean, the LAN connection works fine, it's just the internet connection (from this one PC) that doesn't work. And it's all going through the same card and cable, so...
Old 01-28-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only way to 'clean' a Windows OS after a 'virus/malware outbreak' is to back up all the files you want to keep, format the drive, and reinstall a fresh OS.

Then pay for Avira Antivir Premium and Spyware Doctor. Scan all the files you backed up with both, then restore them.

You will also learn why ~$50 a year for both of those programs is a bargain compared to the pain in the ass of 'virus/malware outbreaks'.