what are .NET framework files?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-10, 10:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So, I've been instructed by the makers of PlayOn to uninstall and then reinstall various .NET framework files on my computer (running windows XP) in order to potentially fix a "Data is Corrupted" error i'm getting when I try to watch hulu via my PS3 and playon... when I try to uninstall these files through windows, I get an error basically saying that I cannot do that because it will render a lot of programs basically useless. The PlayOn folks recommended this link for a 3rd party app to uninstall these files, but I am skiddish.

What do these files do? The initially recommended that it sounds like I have "damaged installation" of NET framework 2.0, yet I also see I am running 1.0, and 3.5? I don't know all this computer bullshit... can someone make some sense of this to me?
Old 01-25-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: what are .NET framework files?

I forget the specifics because it has been a while but here is the basic breakdown as I remember it.

.NET is a programming platform most commonly used for C# (C++++), a heavily object oriented programming language.

.NET Framework is the series of objects (containing system controls) that can be called upon when creating a program. This makes programming substantially easier and gives the programmer easier control over Windows and networking without having to reinvent the wheel. Code created in .NET is run through a "Virtual Machine" to translate these commands (like Java), you must have .NET Framework installed for this to work (or in lesser terms, .NET Framework is the virtual machine that translates .NET applications into computer code.)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-25-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RichC2 is basically right. .Net is a set of libraries and a runtime environment for Windows. A runtime is kind of like the engine of a program. Programs written to use the runtime aren't compiled down to the basic instructions that your computer executes. Instead, the program is translated into instructions for the runtime and the computer executes the runtime's code, which follows those instructions.

.NET is like the bizzaro-Java. Java is a single language (java) with a universal runtime that supports many different platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc). Where as .NET is a single platform runtime (Windows) that supports many different languages (C++, Jscript, VB, C#, etc.)

The advantages for MS are that if a developer knows a single .NET language they can write for Windows using the latest .NET resources and those resources can be shared among all .NET programs on your PC. These resources are called the .Net Framework. The Framework is updated from time to time, but the old Framework is kept on your computer to ensure programs written for that version still work.

Removing a .NET framework will break the programs that rely on it, but reinstalling the framework should fix them. It looks like if you use the tool they linked to then you will have to reinstall/fix the other versions of .NET you have installed too.
Old 01-25-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've used that same tool in the link and it works great with the cleanup.

Some programs need net framework installed. It's like open office needing Java installed. Few programs I recall needing net - powershell, paint.net, nlite, cdburnerxp. Some need a specific version. Paint.net needs 3.5, nlite needs 2.0.
Old 01-25-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Run windows update. There is a .net 3.5 update that will also update all the lower versions of .net. You can have multiple versions without overwriting the lower versions