Reload this Page >

Add Ubuntu PC to Windows network??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-24-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've googled this and come across plenty of answers that seem to be meant for people who are actually familiar with Ubuntu, I am not.

I have a notebook and PC that are running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala). I have Win7 and XP Pc's networked and have no problems.

So, how do I add my Ubuntu pc's to my network. I keep seeing a program called Samba referred to, I installed it but have no clue what to do.
Old 01-24-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Add Ubuntu PC to Windows network??

It's an open source version of the smb protocol which is how files are transfered between windows computers. Not sure if it works with smb v2 which is on windows 7
Old 01-25-10, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no problems transferring files between Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows 7. Unfortunately the HD I have Ubuntu installed on has gone bad.

Hooking a Ubuntu computer to a windows network is pretty much as simple as plugging in the Ethernet cable, I guess it would help to know what it is you want to do with the Ubuntu computer.
Old 01-25-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured it out. Seems it was working the whole time.

I was doing something else and clicked on a folder and it brought up the File Browser. There on the left pane of the browser window was "Network". Clicked on that and I could browse my shared folder on my other PC's.

Seems like, at least on the Netbook Remix, there is no icon/shortcut to bring up the File Browser. It's also the only place the "Network" shortcut shows up.

Quite odd. But I fixed it with a custom shortcut on the primary pane.

As far as usage, for my netbook not much need to access neworked pc's. My other PC, however, will be used to stream media (online and from my network) and surf the web in my garage. I am using Ubuntu since it is an older PC that would be sluggish with Win7 or Xp.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 01-25-10 at 11:56 AM.