Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Identifying a video card??

Old 01-20-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have my brother's pc and I'm setting it up so he can sell it, but he's missing the drivers for his video card and has no clue what it is. Is there a software that can identify it for me or do I need to look at the card itself to find out?

While waiting, I installed some MACH64 drivers with a rage chipset, but I think those are for a pci card and his seems to be a rage pro 2x agp card, will that cause problems? It does work but I don't want to leave them there if it will mess it up.

Let's find out how many ppl can post before 4KRG gives me the answer!

------------------
The 3rd warrior of the OTHER forum
Old 01-20-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, firstly, the card should Plug n' Play under Windows, and if it does you can get the model details off of Device Manager, that's probably the easiest way of doing it. If you know the manufacturer but not the model, have a look at their website, a lot of sites have "Identify Your Card" sections to help you figure out what actual card you've got.

As for the drivers issue, most of ATI's drivers are based on the chipset as oppsoed to the specific card, so as long as you use drivers for another card with the same chipset, it should be alright. But you might as well just go to their website and identify the card properly, and download the latest drivers anyway.

------------------
"I loooove Mozart! He was Austrian, you know?"

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: [email protected]
Old 01-20-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, firstly, the card should Plug n' Play under Windows, and if it does you can get the model details off of Device Manager, that's probably the easiest way of doing it. If you know the manufacturer but not the model, have a look at their website, a lot of sites have "Identify Your Card" sections to help you figure out what actual card you've got.

The card is plug and play but it uses the >standard vga drivers< for some reason.

As for the drivers issue, most of ATI's drivers are based on the chipset as oppsoed to the specific card, so as long as you use drivers for another card with the same chipset, it should be alright. But you might as well just go to their website and identify the card properly, and download the latest drivers anyway.

That pc isn't connected to the web... I was too lazy to get around to it, but I might do it to check.

thanks

------------------
The 3rd warrior of the OTHER forum
Old 01-20-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TCHJ is right on. Many ATI drivers will work for the same card. ATI does have an identify section of their web page. Get off your lazy arse and do it right

Not connected to the web

Pure evil I tell you, pure evil
Old 01-20-01, 03:13 PM
X
Administrator

Here's what I do. Open a DOS window. type "debug" (without the quotes, everywhere in this post) and hit enter.

type "dc000:0" and hit enter

read the ascii on the right side which should be the brand and model number

if you need to see another screen, type "d" and hit enter

to get out, type "q" and hit enter

close your DOS window.