Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

GeForce or Radeon with 64MB DDR

Old 01-16-01, 11:51 PM

Which card is overall better? Also what are the pros and cons of each? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-17-01, 08:03 AM
Buffetman

Here is a review, if this helps any

http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic...019/index.html

Old 01-17-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which GEFORCE?

GeForce2 Ultra
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce2 MX
GeForce2 Go
GeForce 256
Old 01-17-01, 09:41 AM

Both of the manufacturers top of the line cards please. I did read toms review but what I got is that geforce creates better drivers while ati is not very good. But does this mean if ati creates a good driver it should overcome the geforce? also do any geforces have the verstitility of the all in wonder ie tv tuner, video input and output?
Old 01-17-01, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no issues with ATI drivers on Windows 2000/NT 4.0. I hear many issues are on Windows 98.

Again which card are you after?

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 12:55 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
Both of the manufacturers top of the line cards please. I did read toms review but what I got is that geforce creates better drivers while ati is not very good. But does this mean if ati creates a good driver it should overcome the geforce? also do any geforces have the verstitility of the all in wonder ie tv tuner, video input and output?

It really depends on what you're going to do with the card. I hear the Radeon is good for gaming (I don't game). I know the GeForce2 GTS is good for video output to large screen type monitors due to superior electronic design and driver support (including great custom resolution ability). Until the Radeon can be tested with better drivers, nobody knows if its quality will equal or surpass the GeForce2 GTS. And the way ATI develops drivers, that could be a long time away.

The Elsa GeForce2 GTS 32MB has an add-on card I just got yesterday that allows composite and s-video in and out. I didn't have a chance to test much, but the s-video looked pretty good on my 53" RPTV. No tuner -- I got a separate card for that. 64MB is a waste for video purposes.

A note: The Elsa/Nvidia drivers that are the best are for Win98 right now. They haven't released custom resolution support on Win2K yet. But the way they keep improving their drivers, I'm anticipating it soon.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-18-01, 12:02 AM

I have pretty much decided on a geforce2 GTS or Pro but not decided between 64 or 32 MB DDR. I was wondering also want company makes the best Geforce card. I saw elsa, creative labs, visiontek. Any input. Is the price difference between the 64MB over the 32MN worth it?
Old 01-18-01, 12:08 AM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by TJ22:
I have pretty much decided on a geforce2 GTS or Pro but not decided between 64 or 32 MB DDR. I was wondering also want company makes the best Geforce card. I saw elsa, creative labs, visiontek. Any input. Is the price difference between the 64MB over the 32MN worth it?

Huge difference in price. I got the Elsa and I think its quality is considered the best for high-end video. Again, it depends on what you're doing with it. Viewing video, like DVD, does not need more than 32MB.
Old 01-18-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the Elsa. I have heard about some 'issue' with the creative labs versions (not sure what, would be worth more research on your part).

I think the radeon is somewhere inbetween the Geforce MX and the Geforce GTS. The Geforce pro is faster.

It depends on what you want it for. Quake?
Old 01-18-01, 04:52 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
I like the Elsa.

We've got to stop agreeing like this!

I like IBM notebooks.
Old 01-18-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by X:
We've got to stop agreeing like this!

I like IBM notebooks.

I like IBM notebooks....

.... better than Acer notebooks

Old 01-18-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GeForce2 Ultra....baby!! Smokin''''''
Old 01-18-01, 05:41 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Cheddarmuff:
GeForce2 Ultra....baby!! Smokin''''''

Depending on what it's used for...
Old 01-18-01, 06:24 PM
X
Administrator

Something else to consider. I just ran into this quote at, heaven forbid!, another forum:

"Over the past five months, I have several problems with several hardware setups. I used to have a Radeon based system when the card first came out but the tech support was lousy (and expensive considering long distance calls to Canada). So now I have the following:"

My feelings about ATI products exactly. Except they left out the part about drivers rarely getting updated. But then, that's probably why they were calling ATI!
Old 01-19-01, 08:28 AM

I have now decided that I want tv out and the only 2 cards geforce2 are elsa that is the gladiac geforce 2 gts and the ultra, but it looks like the ultra will be way to high. But now I am looking at the matrox again I am looking at the millenium g450 which is the better card for tv out and which is the better gaming card and which is better overall. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-01, 09:37 AM

I looked around and for what you get I am now going geforce2 for sure but it is between elsa and asus. I am now leaning toward asus gts v7700 deluxe 32mb ddr. it has tv out and in and is package with 3d specs looks like cheapest so far is around $240. But can anyone give me any feedback on this card or asus in general. I think it will cost more to buy the elsa gladiac gts with the video module. Also is the diffence significant between geforce2 gts and mx the elsa gts comes with 32 sdram and mx comes with 32 ddr ram. is this significant?
Old 01-19-01, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no problems whatsoever with my Radeon DDR64 and the latest 7041 drivers.