Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Will HD Media Players be successful or not?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-19-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there an advantage to owning this product now or in the future?
http://www.measy.com.cn/product/showproduct11_en.htm
Old 01-19-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Will HD Media Players be successful or not?

Kind of a random item (that seems to have cloned the WD products). I own a WDTV and have several friends with WDTV Live devices. Everybody is extremely satisfied with their purchases. If you have HD media to play, these things are amazing.

If you play a lot of HD MKV files, players like these are an absolute must. So yes, they will be successful ... but they may be the most hated items by the MPAA.

IMO, they need to support DRM and legit digital downloads to really get off the ground while keeping the freedom they currenntly have. They support more formats than any reasonably priced Blu-ray player and aren't as restrictive as the Apple TV or PS3 (neither of which is particularly great as an "all purpose media center" imo.) and all at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-19-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

looks like it's a feature of Apple TV, a nice Blu-Ray player, the PS3 or one of the new super duper TV's they showed off at CES this month. if not now than in the near future.
Old 01-19-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
MPAA.

IMO, they need to support DRM and legit digital downloads to really get off the ground while keeping the freedom they currenntly have. They support more formats than any reasonably priced Blu-ray player and aren't as restrictive as the Apple TV or PS3 (neither of which is particularly great as an "all purpose media center" imo.) and all at a fraction of the cost.
I'm trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages to the seller and the buyer of this thing.

1. How is it going to make profit when all downloadable movies, legit or illegal, are easy to copy and pirate? I thought that downloading movies on the internet are easier to bootleg than dvds/blu-rays?
2. Why would people buy downloadable movies when they already do it for free illegally?
3. Is ITunes the only company that knows how to prevent bootlegging of their downloadable films?
4. Would there be easier access to international movies (with English subtitles) if downloading movies became popular? For example, if a new German movie was released for download in Germany, is it possible that an American can download that movie as well? How would subtitle issues work anyway?
Old 01-19-10, 01:26 PM

Kind of a random item (that seems to have cloned the WD products). I own a WDTV and have several friends with WDTV Live devices.
Right now when playing a movie through VLC media player i am able to load a subtitle file if i need to, is that something that's possible using either the WDTV media player or any of the other ones?

How do you deal with movies that require using a separate subtitle file?
Old 01-19-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Build a cheap PC to hook to the TV and support EVERYTHING
Old 01-19-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ashforsure View Post
Right now when playing a movie through VLC media player i am able to load a subtitle file if i need to, is that something that's possible using either the WDTV media player or any of the other ones?

How do you deal with movies that require using a separate subtitle file?
WDTV supports internal (MKV) and external (MKV, AVI) subtitle streams.

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
I'm trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages to the seller and the buyer of this thing.

1. How is it going to make profit when all downloadable movies, legit or illegal, are easy to copy and pirate? I thought that downloading movies on the internet are easier to bootleg than dvds/blu-rays?
2. Why would people buy downloadable movies when they already do it for free illegally?
3. Is ITunes the only company that knows how to prevent bootlegging of their downloadable films?
4. Would there be easier access to international movies (with English subtitles) if downloading movies became popular? For example, if a new German movie was released for download in Germany, is it possible that an American can download that movie as well? How would subtitle issues work anyway?

1. Illegally downloaded movies are easy to copy, and pirated movies are easy to find in general. However, many people still rent movies regardless of this, and many people still buy movies on iTunes regardless of this. "Easy" is a subjective term, and it's something my folks, for instance, could never figure out. Above all else, convenience. It's easier to hit Buy or use Netflix Streaming.

2. Pirating older movies poses certain challenge, and in general - ease. "Buy" and watch it now. Plus pirating in HD takes a lot of time and space.

3. No, I'm pretty sure all digital distribution movie vendors use DRM. I've only ever used Microsoft's Xbox Live movie store, and they definitely do.

4. Yes, if its distributor added subtitles and opt'd to make it available through those means.

I dunno, I still purchase a boatload of Blu-rays. Digital Distribution just feels too expensive at this point in time, though I use a lot of Netflix streaming.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-19-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 02:03 PM

Good to know, thanks.

WDTV supports internal (MKV) and external (MKV, AVI) subtitle streams.

Old 01-19-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I currently watch downloaded "HD" content via AppleTV and TivoHD. I rarely rent or buy physical media. I will buy blu-rays of movies I feel are worth owning.

For the record, and to answer the question "Why would people buy downloadable movies when they already do it for free illegally?" Because we are not all cheap bastards who prefer to support the men and women who create the content?
Old 01-19-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'll buy the apple TV when it can play blu-ray. in it's current form it's crippled to a glorified itunes media player when i can do the same thing by running an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV.

they showed off some nice stuff at CES this year that will go on sale later this year that will kill the AppleTV unless it offers more functionality.

i was considering it along with a PS3, but Nintendo just announced Netflix support
Old 01-19-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
This same question was bandied about whenever the iTunes music store launched and yet Apple managed to prove everyone wrong and become the #1 music retailer. I think, in general, there is an overestimation of the number of people illegally downloading media. In my experience, people are generally more lazy than they are cheap, so if you make it just as easy or easier to obtain legally, most will do so.
Old 01-19-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

with the app store the only people pirating the apps seem to be the hard core pirates that will never buy anything. i've met a few like this. you will never get them to buy anything and they will spend days downloading something rather than go buy it
Old 01-19-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

meh, my 360 does it just fine
Old 01-19-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Zino with a dual core chip and the 4330 card cost under $300 (black Friday deal) is a mini computer and plays EVERYTHING including some games.
Old 01-20-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a Kaiboer K200 for a year or so, now. Just recently purchased a WD Live to put in the bedroom. I am happy with both, but I'd probably just have two Lives if I were to purchase both today. Interface is a bit nicer, and I don't necessarily need the internal hard drive I've put in the K200.

Bottom line - I'm a big fan of devices like this.

I do wish that either (or preferrably both) would stream lossless audio (FLAC format, primarily) without gaps between tracks. There are ways to do it with the K200, but it's a PITA.
Old 01-20-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i'll buy the apple TV when it can play blu-ray. in it's current form it's crippled to a glorified itunes media player when i can do the same thing by running an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV.

they showed off some nice stuff at CES this year that will go on sale later this year that will kill the AppleTV unless it offers more functionality.

i was considering it along with a PS3, but Nintendo just announced Netflix support
Yes, its the same as your laptop except it's already plugged in, it already has access to your PC or the iTMS, it has an interface and a remote. Otherwise, it's the same. Geez, I connect my laptop to my TV at times but it is a pain in the ass I like to avoid.

It is a bit underwhelming but I'm not seeing anything much better. This has to do with the movie and TV companies arcane ideas of DRM, rental windows, rental periods, insane pricing, and other nonsense.

Last edited by CRM114; 01-20-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Step 1) Cut a hole in a box

er wrong.

Step 1) Get XBMC installed on said laptop
Step 2) Have it auto update on startup
Step 3) Enjoy.

http://www.aeonproject.com/gallery.html

Media Players are a great, cheap, zero configuration alternative to the Laptop though.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-20-10 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Build a cheap PC to hook to the TV and support EVERYTHING
and be more likely to be upgradable to support new formats
not to mention other useful functions, which reminds me, I need to install some emulators on my HTPC and see if the output looks ok at the higher resolution than what the games were originally made in