Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anti-virus for company network suggestions?

Old 01-19-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have a network of around 110-120 computers and 14 servers. Currently we are using Norman Anti-virus, but our license expires next month and I might want to switch to something else. I don't like the Norman AV, because it was a pain to set up, we had to create our own script file to update the workstations, and it failed to remove a boot sector virus today, that Norton was able to do easily.

My question is for those working with medium sized networks like mine... What anti-virus package do you use, and would you suggest it? I am leaning toward Symantec's NAV corporate edition 7.5.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?

[This message has been edited by Goblincat (edited January 19, 2001).]
Old 01-19-01, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Goblincat:
I am leaning toward Symantec's NAV corporate edition 7.5.

Lean harder, then fall

I use NAV 7.5 everywhere, large, small, stand alone. It is not perfect (what is?) but it is the best way to go for an AV solution.

Old 01-19-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Lean harder, then fall

I use NAV 7.5 everywhere, large, small, stand alone. It is not perfect (what is?) but it is the best way to go for an AV solution.

The only problem I can see is convincing the company to pay more. Currently a 2 year Norman license is $2520. NAV would run us $3162 for a two year, after a first year cost of $2137. Sometimes they don't see eye to eye with the problems I run into, only the amount of money it will cost.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 01-19-01, 01:04 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Goblincat:
The only problem I can see is convincing the company to pay more. Currently a 2 year Norman license is $2520. NAV would run us $3162 for a two year, after a first year cost of $2137. Sometimes they don't see eye to eye with the problems I run into, only the amount of money it will cost.

You can easily justify the cost by running the numbers of the cost of downtime to the company. Check Symantec's site for help on that, or any virus manufacturer's...err...virus protection manufacturer's site.
Old 01-19-01, 02:02 PM

I also use NAV 7.5 Corporate Edition at my work. It's pretty easy to setup. The cool feature I like is once you set everything up, it runs itself. For example the LiveUpdate are set to run once a week on the server. As soon as the server grabs the update, all the clients get it too! It's magic!