Reload this Page >

Word: Numbering pages

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-14-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At work, we have trip manifests for each aircraft. The manifests are all numbered and must be accounted for. We have Word documents made up for each manifest. When we print new ones, we have to open Word and manually change the log number on each page. I would like to be able to change the log number on the first page and have the other pages update, automatically. I can't use Insert->Page Number because that only works in the header or footer. I can't use the Page Number field because it won't let me change the starting value.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-14-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Word: Numbering pages

I can't exactly tell what you are trying to do, but...

What about using Insert --> Field --> Page ?

(You should also specify whether it's Word 2003, 2007, etc., although my suggestion will work in most versions of Word -- it's just sorta hidden in 2007.)
Old 01-15-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here, pictures always help. We have a Word document with 20 pages of the same form, only each one is numbered consecutively. (Log Number, upper-right corner) Right now, we have to change each number manually when we print more forms. Is there anyway to automate the process?

Last edited by shaun3000; 01-15-10 at 02:56 AM. Reason: pictures is plural, not possessive.
Old 01-15-10, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't use Insert->Page Number because that only works in the header or footer. I can't use the Page Number field because it won't let me change the starting value.
I see what he means here. With header/footer toolbar from view, you insert the page number and can change it to 5 instead of 1, but with insert page field, it is stuck on 1 while you'd want it to say 5 like in the header.

There has to be a field code switch for (PAGE \*) that lets you customize the number.
Old 01-15-10, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've figured out how to change the page number with field tags (or whatever Microsoft calls them) but I think it only affects that one field. In other words, I could have page one display {PAGE+5} and I would see a 6. But page 2 would still be page 2 unless I change it.

I want to be able to tell it that the first page is page 200 and have the rest automatically fill in 201, 202...220.
Old 01-15-10, 03:22 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to set up a macro, like this: http://word.mvps.org/faQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm
Old 01-15-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, here's what I understand - you want to tell it that the first page is 200 - every time you print this?! But, even if you don't want that particular scenario.

Insert page number in the header of Page 1 - as always. format it as you want it. Then select that page number and copy it (Ctrl C). Then close header and footers and paste that copied page number into "Log Number" box on page 1. You should then be able to also go to page 2 and paste that copied page number into the box - and so on through the end of the document. Then select your page number on the first page and choose "Page Numbers" on the Insert menu - select the format button and change the "Page Numbering" "Start At" to whatever you want. Close that box, select the entire document text (Ctrl A) and hit the F9 Key to update the field codes.

Then go back into headers and footers and format the page number there as hidden text.

Does that do it for you? It worked for me in Word 2003.
Old 01-20-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

shaun3000 - you know, it would be nice (and polite) to let those who tried to help you out know if any of our suggestions worked, or even helped you out.

Has the entire world forgotten how to say THANK YOU with the start of 2010? Seems like it.
Old 01-20-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I fully intend on updating you just as soon as I have a chance to sit down and play with the document. I've been a little pre-occupied with various trips that have popped up, helping coworkers out with various issues, administering our flight department, and taking care of various other issues.

Thank you, so much, for the lesson in etiquete. I'll be sure and rearrange my schedule, right away, so I can sit down and try your suggestions. Any doctors need me to fly them to pick up a heart for transplant? Too bad, busy. Maybe I'll go ahead and cancel the upcoming three-day to Vegas so I can accommodate you.

I appreciate all the suggestions provided by you and others, I really do. I hadn't thought to try it editing the page numbers like you suggested. I do NOT appreciate the lecture. Considering the various contributions I've made to this and other forums, offering help when I can, I think you are out-of-line.
Old 01-22-10, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well excuse me! It's just that thanks come so rarely in any of these forums that I have virtually stopped answering questions. I can understand if a person is busy - but I work with pilots and have good friends who are pilots and I know that they take breaks too. Your previous response was on 01/15 and I asked for an update on your situation 6 days later. Sorry if you don't have time to try what we suggest in 6 days time - we all have busy times. Maybe you might have waited until you had time to try some suggestions to even ask the question - that is when I ask for advice - when I need it and know that I will have time to try the suggestions which people offer me so that I can get back to them in a timely manner. I have bee on the road for 2 days myself now, so I certainly didn't ask any questions the day before I went on the road!

As to being out of line - I'll remember your name and remember not to ever say anything again which may offend you! Better yet - I won't say anything at all.