Reload this Page >

PS3, Blu Ray and HDTV Questions and Advice needed

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-13-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. So first of all i have been collecting a few DVD movies and have been content up until now playing them through my computer. However, i think its about time i invested in a new TV and a new player. So my questions are as follows:

1. Thinking about getting a PS3 for some games and also for the Blu Ray. Am i right in assuming that video games are region free, but movies may be region encoded? Also if i took a PS3 to Europe would i be able to connect it to a HDTV without any problems? HDMI connection i presume would be ok. Also is there any way to get PS3 system updates from the internet as i believe that the PS3 network is unavailable from where i am.

2. Can anyone recommend me a good HDTV around 46 inch.

3. Can anyone recommend a good Blu Ray stand alone player.

4. Would it be possible for me to hook up a PS3 to a PC monitor?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: PS3, Blu Ray and HDTV Questions and Advice needed

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Ok. So first of all i have been collecting a few DVD movies and have been content up until now playing them through my computer. However, i think its about time i invested in a new TV and a new player. So my questions are as follows:

1. Thinking about getting a PS3 for some games and also for the Blu Ray. Am i right in assuming that video games are region free, but movies may be region encoded? Also if i took a PS3 to Europe would i be able to connect it to a HDTV without any problems? HDMI connection i presume would be ok. Also is there any way to get PS3 system updates from the internet as i believe that the PS3 network is unavailable from where i am.

Thanks for any help.
1. The are region codes for blu ray as well - Region A, B, and C. Like DVD, some blu rays are region free. Also, keep in mind that the PS3 CANNOT play PAL material. Yes, you can use HDMI without problems if connecting it in Europe. But most DVD material in Europe is Region B and PAL, so you will not be able to play it on the PS3.

2. Not sure.
3. Not sure.

4. Yes you can as long as your computer has either component or HDMI input.
Old 01-13-10, 12:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4. I tried hooking a PS3 via HDMI to a 24" computer monitor and the image was there, but it had thick horizontal lines going through it, kind of like it was not de-interlaced.

The PS3 was set to 1080p, the monitor was 1900x1200. Maybe the monitor was stretching out the image? I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-13-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to get a new monitor, make sure it has aspect scaling (meaning that it retains the aspect ratio). Many of them are 16:10, so you'll get a distorted image if there is no aspect scaling.

Or, you could get a 16:9 monitor. More and more of those are coming out.
Old 01-14-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. no video games aren't region free.
2. I can but i haven't went to bed yet, im to tired.
3. nope
4. yes, dvi, hdmi or component would do, don't buy a new one without a dvi or hdmi. As they point out pixel mapping is key, but just buy one of the newer monitors that are already 1920x1080 then you won't have to worry about it.
Old 01-14-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post

Thanks for any help.

1. You are correct. The PS3 does not support region coding for PS3 games and is thus region free, though PS1 games (and PS2 games for those with the 20 - 80gb) are region locked on the system. But Blu-ray movies have 3 region codes (A,B,C) - if you buy one in the US, it's going to be stuck in Region A. You can download PS3 updates directly from http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

2. Give me a few, I'll take a look, where are you located?

3. LG 370 is nice

4. Absolutely, as long as it's 1) HDMI and 2) HDCP. Though as other have said, be sure it offers some sort of scaling (if it's 16:10) or get a 16:9 monitor.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-14-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-14-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
1. no video games aren't region free.
PS3 games are not region locked (as RichC2 just said), but I believe the lockout is still enforced for original PlayStation games.
Old 01-15-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for all the advice guys. Well i live in Puerto Rico at the moment, so there are a few stores like BestBuy around...but not many. I am gonna go with the PS3 and try using my PC flatscreen until i get some more info on the best HDTV to buy. I will look into what component cables i will need to do this.
Old 01-15-10, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What inputs does the monitor have? If it's DVI, and it has HDCP, you can get an HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice for not much money. They have switches too, if you would need one.

With component, you won't get 1080p video.
Old 01-15-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the Samsung SyncMaster 930b monitor. I get the feeling i am gonna have problems connecting a PS3 to this monitor and i am gonna end up having to pony up for a HDTV straight away. Is there an easy way of linking a PS3 to this monitor?
Old 01-15-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That won't work well at all. It doesn't have HDCP, so DVI is out.

Also, the 5:4 ratio is a problem. The PS3 only puts out HD in 16:9. The monitor doesn't have aspect scaling, so you would have either EXTREME distortion from stretching a 16:9 image to 5:4, or you'd be stuck with a less distorted 640x480 image.
Old 01-15-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can get a 46" 1080p Panny plasma for around $850. $900 for a 50".
Old 01-15-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i thought i might have issues. I guess my course of action will be to pick up the PS3 first of all. There are a few games that i want for it, but most of them are not out until spring time, so it gives me a little bit of time to look into picking up a decent new TV. I am a big fan of Panasonic and Pioneer products, and it appears that there are quite a few Panny models out there. Anyone recommend a good sized set in the $800-$900 mark?

Thanks again guys for the help and advice.
Old 01-15-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You may want to see if Sony has another TV/PS3 bundle deal, they had one for a couple of weeks in early December. If you bought a 40" or larger Sony LCD TV with 120Hz or higher refresh rate, you got a free PS3.

I caught a Best Buy deal in early December where I picked up a Sony 46" LCD, model 46V5100, a PS3, a Blu Ray movie and a PS3 game, for $950. I picked up another DVD player to get over $1,000 and got three years no interest, plus just today I got $20 back in BestBuy Reward Bucks.
Old 01-16-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You might want to check AVS forum which has more focused info on these types of issues.