Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Pick between these 2 Laptops

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-13-10, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at these 2 Laptops. Can some one tell me which is a better deal. It mostly will be for internet, watching movies and such. Might put some games on it.

Deal
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+I...&skuId=9568728

Gateway
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9605383
Old 01-13-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pick between these 2 Laptops

The first one.
Old 01-13-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the one that is NOT a gateway
Old 01-13-10, 04:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough one. I tend to like the Dell for:

lighter weight and width
Intel rather than AMD

but it has these negatives:

smaller screen
smaller drive
non GB ethernet and wireless N networking
Old 01-13-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Gateway has better graphics too, if any 3D games are being played.
Old 01-13-10, 06:07 PM

I don't know a whole lot about wireless tech. Is the N networking a lot better than the other? I'll be traveling a lot and use wifi from hotels and such.
Old 01-13-10, 06:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt hotels would have N, so that wouldn't be as much an advantage as the lower weight.
Old 01-13-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd go with the Dell almost entirely because it's 14" instead of 15.6". But that's a preference thing.
Old 01-13-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
The Gateway has better graphics too, if any 3D games are being played.
Yeah, that'd be the only reason to go with the Gateway. I haven't used one, but I've had very good experience with Dell.

Both are 64-bit and have 6-cell batteries. The prices are pretty good for Bestbuy.

Only question I have is what video output do they have - vga, dvi, or hdmi?
Old 01-13-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the Gateway. I had a Dell and it was crap. My bro-in-law had a Gateway and it lasted four years before he had to replace it.
Old 01-14-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, that'd be the only reason to go with the Gateway. I haven't used one, but I've had very good experience with Dell.

Both are 64-bit and have 6-cell batteries. The prices are pretty good for Bestbuy.

Only question I have is what video output do they have - vga, dvi, or hdmi?
The Dell doesn't have HDMI, the Gateway does. Just another reason to avoid Dell IMO.
Old 01-14-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I own a Dell Vostro and it has lasted me 3 years without a single problem Fast, stable and sturdy as hell.

Still going amazingly strong too, built like a truck.

That said, I'd go with the Gateway considering the video, though I really think 14" is a better size than 15.6".
Old 01-14-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get the gateway, I have a Gateway laptop and I love it. Mine is the FX series and its wonderful.
Old 01-14-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
The Dell doesn't have HDMI, the Gateway does. Just another reason to avoid Dell IMO.
That seals it. I vote Gateway.
Old 01-14-10, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I own a Dell Vostro and it has lasted me 3 years without a single problem Fast, stable and sturdy as hell.

Still going amazingly strong too, built like a truck.

That said, I'd go with the Gateway considering the video, though I really think 14" is a better size than 15.6".

I dunno. I had the Studio 1737. It lasted 10 months before I was tired of it.

The sound was absolutlely horrendous. It'd snap, crackle, and pop no matter how loud it was, and headphones didn't help. I updated drivers, BIOS, you name it. It was apparently a wide spread problem, too.

Mine was built like a truck, too. A toy truck. The top and sides kept snapping off, you had to snap them back in everytime you opened it up. I had a couple of keys pop off, too.

The touch pad was way overly sensitive. It would jump to random places in a sentence/paragraph, and it drove me crazy.

It weighed a ton, probably the battery for the most part. It was a 9 cell. It might as well have been a 3 cell with the amount of charge it would hold.

The wireless networking failed every other day. I had to reboot every time this happened. Major pain in the ass.

Don't get me started about Dell "customer service."

So yeah, if you like problems, go with the Dell
Old 01-14-10, 05:32 AM

the first one i.e. Dell - Inspiron Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor - Ice Blue
Old 01-14-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm wonder if that's a Studio line issue or what. I've had no issues with sound, the touchpad, or battery (mine is also a 9 cell, it's a bit big but does last about 5 hours without issue still) on mine

Only tech support I've had to use with the company was for a 19" LCD monitor, power button stopped working one day. Was under warranty, talked to a guy via text chat and they sent me a new one the next day.

Guess everyone is due to have their own experiences with em.
Old 01-20-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Brand schmand.

I actually bought that Gateway a few days ago (but at $429, heh). It's pretty sweet for a sub $500 lappy. Note, the touchpad was practically unusable with the installed driver. Update it with the driver linked below and you'll be much happier.

http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&uid=257647452
Old 01-20-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
the one that is NOT a gateway
this
Old 01-20-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I'd go with the Gateway. I had a Dell and it was crap. My bro-in-law had a Gateway and it lasted four years before he had to replace it.
and on that note
in the hundreds (or thousands) of laptops I have supported over the years.. Ive been through most brands..
gateway would be down near the bottom of my list of recommendations.. down there with lenovos

from all the ones we've been through, dell has been far and the away the more reliable and the easiest support to deal with.
Old 01-20-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
and on that note
in the hundreds (or thousands) of laptops I have supported over the years.. Ive been through most brands..
gateway would be down near the bottom of my list of recommendations.. down there with lenovos

from all the ones we've been through, dell has been far and the away the more reliable and the easiest support to deal with.

it's almost like I wrote that, get out of my head!!!

but I will say that I fear Dell starting to slide down the slippery slope into crapdom with some of their newer models

Just like with cars, unless you are willing to spend 2X the 'normal' price, you are not able to buy something that is considered "high quality" anymore. It use to be that a typical Toyota was very reliable, now you have to buy a Lexus to get that level of reliability. With laptops, the standard Dell lines use to be really good, now it almost seems that you have to buy an XPS or Alienware to get the high quality stuff.

Dell does still stand behind their warranty better than most other computer companies, but you have to learn how to answer the questions the guy in India is reading from his script to get him to do what you want.
Old 01-20-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
but I will say that I fear Dell starting to slide down the slippery slope into crapdom with some of their newer models
true.. we stick with latitudes, and i definitly prefer the d series over the new e series models
Old 01-21-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
true.. we stick with latitudes, and i definitly prefer the d series over the new e series models
Yes, we have had unusual problems with the E-series, but it is still NOT a large percentage of overall machines. Just more of a percentage than with the D series.

About last year this time, we had a rash of 'defective' elpida 4GB memory modules in the E6500s. I put defective in quotes because the ram itself was not defective, just not compatible with the E6500 that Dell put them in That is a real amateur mistake and then their denial of it killed me. The follow up shipment of several hundred replacement ram modules made up for it though (well sort of)

Anything with the built in Intel video E4200/4300/6400 has been giving random Bad Pool Call BSODs, that has been a circus of round and round with Dell and Intel, neither stepping up and owning the problem, but it only seems to affect 1 out of 50 or so machines. The problem is in the Intel driver conflicting with something else during web browsing, no one can narrow down the something else and its like a once a week BSOD on the affected machines (has to be a perfect storm to trigger it), very hard to replicate in a lab and most machines don't do it at all.

The SSD hard drive in the E4200 is a complete piece of worthless shit.

Far more E's come dead out of the box than we ever saw with D's, but some D's did die within 1 second of first turning them on

Bad hard drives seem to be very common in the E, but we had a lot of D's that had bad screens (all purchases within about a 9 month span, all screens went dead within 6 months of in service date) I would rather lose a screen than a drive, so D wins that round

I want to say we had one more fairly widespread issue with the E's, but I can't think of it right now.

I also hate how the E no longer has a 'docked profile', that has caused some one off configuration issues.

The Opti 755 (and some of the tail end production 745s) desktops with Hitachi optical drives in them would randomly reboot, the solution was to install the sony optical drive (both were dell oem) that one had us stumped for a long time, who would have ever thought? replacing several hundred DVD drives fixed every one of the reboot issues.

But hey, nothing is perfect. Where I give Dell credit is they worked through most of these things without too much of a fight and once a problem was confirmed, replacement parts and techs and whatever we needed arrived ASAP to resolve the issue. That is FAR more than I can ever say for Gateway and much more consistent than HP/Compaq were quality support is sometimes random.
Old 01-21-10, 12:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinMusashi44 View Post
I'm pretty sure this Freudian slip is your answer...