Reload this Page >

best iPod that has the LEAST repeating while on shuffle

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have the iPod Shuffle, and that used to repeat songs too often for my liking.
I now have the Creative Zen, and that, too, repeats songs too often.

When I say "repeats songs," I mean that, out of 1000 songs, it may play the same song within a 5-hour period.

I would like a device that, once in Shuffle-mode, will NOT repeat a song it has already played. Or the next best thing.
Old 01-12-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: best iPod that has the LEAST repeating while on shuffle

That's interesting. At various times over the last few years I've owned an 3rd Gen iPod, a 4th gen iPod video, an iPod mini and 2 iPhones and with all of them I use the shuffle feature all the time and I've never had repeating songs. It would play out all the songs randomly, just once. It would repeat the playlist (in a different random order) if I had repeat on.

I use playlists on my iPods though. Maybe if you put your music in a playlist you'll have better results?
Old 01-12-10, 05:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3rd gen nano has never repeated a song out of nearly 2,000, unless i have to hook to pc and then it resets, but no hook plays whole list on shuffle only once.
Old 01-12-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put iTunes or an iPod on "shuffle", it creates a random playlist, but I'm fairly sure (don't own one) that the actual iPod Shuffle (the one you shake) grabs a random song each time, rather than just advancing to the next song in a ramdomly arranged playlist.

When they made the shaking function available for the iPod touch, that's how it worked, and I often got repeats. Stopped using that function for that reason.
Old 01-13-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think the playlist resets itself when you press the Fast Forward button?
Old 01-13-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
When they made the shaking function available for the iPod touch, that's how it worked, and I often got repeats. Stopped using that function for that reason.
I was under the impression that shaking the touch essentially recreates a shuffled playlist. That would explain why there were repeats.

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
do you think the playlist resets itself when you press the Fast Forward button?
No, it shouldn't. When using the shuffle, as someone else said, it creates a random playlist. Skipping tracks through that "playlist" just advances the track. Turning off and then turning the shuffle setting back on will reset the playlist. If you use repeat, once the shuffled playlist has completed, it will reshuffle and start a new playlist. Plugging the ipod into your computer will reset the shuffled playlist, although that my only be fore automatic syncing. Leaving that playlist, and then coming back to it, will reset the shuffled playlist as well.

I once shuffled an artist that had the most tracks on my ipod, simply to listen to every track by that artist. I never once heard a repeat.