Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A few questions on computer parts

Old 01-17-01, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife says that I can build my own computer, but I do not have the slightest idea as to what things to get for it.

I have gone through the old other bargins threads to see if there was any deals to be had on computer parts. On of the things I found was this http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/mil...CCODE=WEBE1233

Some of the people who posted on the topic said that it was a really good deal as long as I can get it from them. I guess that the company is not know for good things, but some of the people who ordered the same thing from them got it within a few days. Also, people are saying that because it is a Slot A Athlon ATX Motherboard it will be hard to upgrade it. Does this matter to me?
I have about 1200 to 1300 to spend on stuff for this computer so what is some of the things that I should be looking for? I know what parts I need, but what is good parts?

Any ideas? Would this deal be a good way to start off?
Old 01-17-01, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy a MAC bwaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahah

Decide if you want an AMD or an Intel first (I am not getting in to that discussion anymore).

Either way I would steer you towards ASUS for a motherboard.

Some form of a GEFORCE or ATI Radeon for video.

Seagate (anyhting but medalist) Maxtor, Quantum (who did I forget ) for a hard drive.

case/power supply will depend on if you want an AMD, if you do check their approved list. In general I like Enlight, Antec, Inwin (high end go PC power and cooling).

floppy drive I like TEAC

CDRW - Pleaxtor, Yamaha, TEAC
CD-rom only - TEAC, Toshiba

Soundblaster for sound card, altec lansing for speaks (average speaks, good value)

Get quality RAM it could make or break you. I like Micron/Crucial but it is pricey. Some other good names are Kingston, Viking, Simple Tech, PNY, Toshiba

I am sure I forgot something it is too early to think

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 09:54 AM

Well, I did a search for any topic that is Intel -vs- AMD, but got only a few hits. Only one said anything really. The others said that they did not want to start a war.

I guess I would just as soon go with the AMD as it is about a hundread dollars cheaper than the Intel that I am looking at. I can get a AMD K-7 1100 T-Bird for 269, and the Intel PIII 1GB will cost me 489. By the looks of it I wouldbe better off going with the AMD.

What type of Asus motherboard would I need to get. The three that I see right now are CUV4X for 129, and the CUSL2 or A7-V Athlon for 169 each.

Thanks for the help.

Also, I am guessing that sence I will be going with the AMD I should get a mid tower with a 300W power supply. That seems to be what I have read. Is that right?
Old 01-17-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

tjr2mental

lets just say I am NOT an AMD fan but if you want to save the $100, it is up to you.

I like the CUSL2, have not had any experience with the others. ASUS in general is a good company.

As for the power supply, IF you go AMD check AMD's web page and ONLY purchase an approved power supply (300W is correct)
Old 01-17-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.overclockers.com.au/cgi-b...=30&LastLogin=
a site to look at about the cusl2 asus motherboard. this is a p3/celeron motherboard. it will not run an athlon. I am using a p3v4x for my p3 800 and am quite happy with it.
for an athlon go with a7v from asus. it seems to be a good slot a motherboard.the cuv4x is also for an intel chip.
Old 01-17-01, 01:22 PM

ok, no offense or anything, but if you don't even know if you prefer AMD or Intel, then I wouldn't suggest you start going off to try to build your own computer.
Old 01-17-01, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Parsec:
ok, no offense or anything, but if you don't even know if you prefer AMD or Intel, then I wouldn't suggest you start going off to try to build your own computer.

Well, no offense either. But I know how to build a system but didn't know which CPU to choose either. I had to do some research.

But I sure wasn't asking all those other questions or say "I do not have the slightest ideas as to what things to get". That's the danger signal to me.
Old 01-17-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also about parts.
I agree with the hard drives mentioned by 4KRG- my first choice is a maxtor but only because they have worked well for me. all of his suggestions work as well.

the sound card try to find a sound blaster live value. you get the same sound chip just miss out on a couple features and save some money.

go for a toshiba dvd rom drive.

memory is going down in price
crucial 256 mb dimm pc133
http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpe...e=CT32M64S4D75

mushkin also is a great company here is a link to the pc133 memory page
http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushk.../catalogs/3517
crucial has a better price right now

video card- this is a hard one. geforce or radeon are good choices. matrox will have better 2d imaging. and if you can find the 3dfx cards at a discount it may work for you.

do you have a monitor you are using if not you will need to get one

you will also need a modem unless you have dsl or cable. 3com modems are great. with the speed you have you can go with a creative winmodem with little speed effect.

also do you have an operating system to install?
Old 01-17-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey if dvdsteve2000 can do it.....
Old 01-17-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did like dvdsteve2000 first post when he had assembled it about everything working
did he ever get the floppy to work?
I assume that tjr2mental just hasn't kept up on recent changes in the market.
if he really does not have any idea i would look at a number of sites and try to get more comfortable before building a computer. it seems easy at first. the troubleshooting after you build it is the hard part
Old 01-17-01, 01:42 PM

No offense taken.

I do not think that I have to know what the difference is between an AMD and Intel processors are to build a computer. I do know that they are both processors, and that they are made by competing companies and that a lot of websites tell you different things. There is no point in looking for a bench mark test between the two because two different tests will tell you two different things. Looking at it that way I figure that the best thing I can do is ask people who know more than I do. (that is a lot of people by the way)

I have to learn at some point as to what I am doing right? And I am sure that in time I will figure out what I need to do to get it up and running. Just takes a bit of help from some others to make sure that I am reading and doing things right when I try to put it together, that's all. I see no point in going out and buying a computer that I cannot upgrade, and does not have the software that I need. The last computer had so much useless stuff in it was sickening. Plus, I get to learn how the computer works, and how to build them. I f I get to stuck, I am sure that I have enough friends who know what they are doing who can help me out of a jam. If not, I have the web. If all that fails, I will just pay to have it put together for me.

Either way I will learn something, and if you do not wish to learn ... then what is the point of living?
Old 01-17-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tjr2mental

It is your money and your time. If you want to learn how to build a PC, go for it. Just don;t call yourself an 'expert' after you get one to run That annoys me.

Web advice for troubleshooting has extreme limitations. All I see is YOUR description of the problem, which for non-technical people to do is a challenge to do correctly.

I always try to help where I can, but I am a visually oriented person. I must see things for them to make sense to me, then once I see them I get it. You would laugh, I sit an draw pictures of peoples problems. But I understand this is how I think and it works form me.

Right now I would put together a system like DVDSTEVE has

ASUS [email protected] mobo
256mb ram PC 133(192 in his case) brands I listed above
INTEL 933mhz proc (133 FSB Flip Chip)
(not sure on his case) I like Inwin, Antec, Enlight for average cases
ATI Radeon 64mb DDR (great for games and average for everything else) The GEFORCE line is also GREAT.
Maxtor 30G Hard Drive (great price, average drive)
Toshiba DVD and/or Plextor CDRW
TEAC floppy drive
Viewsonic/Optiquest monitor

I am sure I forgot something, but you get the idea.
Old 01-17-01, 01:59 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:

Oh no! I'm going see if I can get banned.
Old 01-17-01, 02:05 PM

OK, I think we have a misunderstanding then... I have a list of stuff that I want to get for the computer that I will build, but I was looking to see what other people would recommend. That's all.

Here is what I was looking into getting, and the price that I would be paying.
AMD K-7 1000 T-Bird - 199
Asus A7-V Athlon - 169
Nvidia 32mb APG video card - 79
256 SDRAM pc-100/133 - 125 (not sure what type I need yet.)
45 Gig WD Hard Drive (7200 rpm) - 169
Sound Blaser Live - 55
Toshiba DVD 12X IDE - 109
TEAC 8X8X32 IDE CD-RW - 149
1.44 Sony Floppy - 17
IBM P20 monitor (all ready have this.)

Grand total of 1071 dollars. The thing is I am not sure what I should get instead of the stuff I have listed. What is good, what is not. That is where I am lost.
Old 01-17-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tjr2 should be fine

The only thing I might consider is shopping the hard drive a bit. Paying extra for a WD is just not worth it these days. See if Maxtor or IBM has a simialr drive cheaper.

Look at the Plextor CDRW drives they are worth a little extra $$

you should go Micron/Crucial for the RAM.

what about case/power supply? AMD approved?

Are you buying this all from the same source? Reason I ask is shipping charges and possible warranty issues.
Old 01-17-01, 02:36 PM
X
Administrator

And I don't see a good aftermarket CPU cooling fan. The AMD-supplied ones don't cut it.
Old 01-17-01, 02:57 PM

Ok, so I should get a diffrent HD. That should be no probelm. Where I am getting all my parts charges 62 more for the IBM. So I guess that is out of the question. I can look online for one I guess.

I can upgrade to a 12X10X32 Plextor for about 90 more. Is it worth it? I have no problem spending more for good stuff. I want a computer that will not die on me. ::cough:: Compaq ::cough::

Forgot the tower on the list I typed in. My bad. It is a ATX tower w/ a 300 Watt power supply. as far as I can tell that should be fine.

Oh... did not think about the fan. What is a good one? Should I have more than one in the box?

I am buying it all form a computer store here in town. So I think that all the stuff should be covered under their warranty's. And I have a place to take the stuff back to if need be.
Old 01-17-01, 03:02 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by tjr2mental:
Oh... did not think about the fan. What is a good one? Should I have more than one in the box?

I don't know the brand of the CPU fan. You, or your store will have to do some research. And you should also have a front case fan (in addition to the power supply and CPU fan) to increase air flow.
Old 01-17-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by tjr2mental:
Ok, so I should get a diffrent HD. That should be no probelm. Where I am getting all my parts charges 62 more for the IBM. So I guess that is out of the question. I can look online for one I guess.

No problem. I am not concerned with the 3 or 4 major brands here, there is no real difference. PRICE is all that matters, the WD you listed is fine.

quote:

I can upgrade to a 12X10X32 Plextor for about 90 more. Is it worth it?

Do you see yourslef burning a lot of CDs? For me the $90 would be worth it. I go through cdrs like water.

quote:

I have no problem spending more for good stuff. I want a computer that will not die on me. ::cough:: Compaq ::cough::

caough....cough...must have been a presario

quote:

Forgot the tower on the list I typed in. My bad. It is a ATX tower w/ a 300 Watt power supply.

You keep avaoiding my question is it AMD certified??? If not pick again I would also recommend you get a small UPS (about $70) AMDs are very very picky about clean power (one of their downsides)

quote:

as far as I can tell that should be fine.

A second case fan is always a good idea, your shop should hook you up for $10 or less. Brand does not really matter in this case.

X - do you think he really nees something like an Alpha 6035? Are the AMD included heatsink/fans really that bad??

quote:

I am buying it all form a computer store here in town. So I think that all the stuff should be covered under their warranty's. And I have a place to take the stuff back to if need be.

Good deal. I thought you were going to scavenge online and piece it all together from multiple vendors. You can always hit the shop up for tech questions if you need to. I would verify the warranty with them though. Some little shops tell you that if you put it together yourself you are stuck with the mnuf. warranty only or you can pay them $75 to assemble it and have a 1 year warranty with the store. Worth a question.
Old 01-17-01, 04:22 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
X - do you think he really nees something like an Alpha 6035? Are the AMD included heatsink/fans really that bad??

I keep reading that the AMD heatsink/fans are not adequate. I don't know anything about the Alpha 6035 and the Thunderbird. But I do know that the Intel Coppermine 1000 dissipates 33 watts versus 54 for for the Thunderbird! That's practically a 60 watt light bulb! I could heat my gecko's tank on that sucker.
Old 01-17-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
quote:

HEY!!!! ...was that a dig at me!!!???
Old 01-17-01, 07:31 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
HEY!!!! ...was that a dig at me!!!???

No, I think you were being held up as a role model as a person to emulate. I think...
Old 01-17-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
quote:
Originally posted by X:
No, I think you were being held up as a role model as a person to emulate. I think...

Whew!!!

I wish I knew a little more about computers, especially before I built one, but it was/and still is a great learning experience for me. I really thought I was ready for that step, and I'm glad I took it. I felt really confident knowing that I had this forum to guide me with any problems, and you guys delivered!! And no, I didn't fix/get a new floppy yet. We're moving this week, and it's been a little hectic.
Old 01-18-01, 10:23 AM

Where would I need to look to find a cast that is AMD certified? I have searched using the words "AMD certified case" but came up with nothing. I also went to AMD's home page and they did not have anything about the cases that should be used that I found.
Old 01-18-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is not so much the case, but the power supply

http://www1.amd.com/athlon/power

and you should read these too.

http://www1.amd.com/athlon/config