Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iMac Question

Old 01-11-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iMac Question

Planning on replacing my ancient Dell. I used to be an Apple person and am seriously considering going back. Does anyone know how well the iMac below performs. It looks very tempting...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iMac-MB9...3260079&sr=8-1
Old 01-11-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: iMac Question

Can't go wrong with an iMac.
Old 01-11-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do it! Do it! Do it!

I love my Macbook Pro to death, my uncle loves his 27inch i5 iMac, my folks love their new MacMini...

You know what the right thing to do is.
Old 01-12-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife has one at school and loves it.
Old 01-12-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you should be OK with normal things, games may not play well since the graphics card is crap. and there is a very good chance we'll see new iMac's January 27th. Late March at the latest since the last 2 years Apple has released new iMac's a few weeks after Macworld.

if you want to go refurb that model is $999 in the apple refurb store

i'll probably buy at least one Mac this year, but personally i prefer the Windows GUI after using Tiger for a few months. and the Adobe flash support is so so and there is no word of hardware GPU flash coming this year for the Mac like there is for Windows
Old 01-12-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Al, you think we'll already see speed bumps to the iMacs this month? I thought we already just had the i5 and i7 introduced - or was that August already?!...

leeta - if you could hold out and get an i5 model either now or with a speed bump (which may see that as the new entry model), I'd recommend that. From what I've read the i5 really is worth the upgrade over the dual core options.

I've had my Mac Mini for about a year now and I am very happy with it. I've had almost 0 problems. It's a little slow at some things, but I'm not entirely convinced that had I purchased the processor that those problems would be gone.
Old 01-12-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
you should be OK with normal things, games may not play well since the graphics card is crap. and there is a very good chance we'll see new iMac's January 27th. Late March at the latest since the last 2 years Apple has released new iMac's a few weeks after Macworld.

if you want to go refurb that model is $999 in the apple refurb store

i'll probably buy at least one Mac this year, but personally i prefer the Windows GUI after using Tiger for a few months. and the Adobe flash support is so so and there is no word of hardware GPU flash coming this year for the Mac like there is for Windows
Tiger? That's two OS's old. Flash support is so-so? Huh?
Old 01-12-10, 10:17 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The iMacs were updated last in October. They are a safe buy and won't be updated any time soon (average 220 days between updates).

For dealing with these issues, Macrumors has a great site: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I'm waiting on the new Mac Pros...
Old 01-12-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I use an iMac at home.

At work I use an "oldish" MacPro, dual 3GHz dual Xeons, and I have absolutely no need for anything newer. This thing is a workhorse.
Old 01-12-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mbs View Post
The iMacs were updated last in October. They are a safe buy and won't be updated any time soon (average 220 days between updates).

For dealing with these issues, Macrumors has a great site: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I'm waiting on the new Mac Pros...
intel just released a new generation of CPU's
Dell, HP and others are already using them in shipping products

for the last 2 years i remember minor announcements at MacWorld and new iMac's a few weeks later since Intel releases new CPU's in the first quarter which means they ship them to customers for a few months prior so that when it's announced there are shipping products

the 9400M is old, crap and completely obsolete and judging by where tech is going Apple will probably move away from Nvidia except as an option
Old 01-12-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
people on macrumors say the problems are still there in 10.5 and 10.6. to be fair my dual core HP laptop also performs like crap with flash. every time you go to any flash enabled website the fan spins up like crazy.

so far there is a beta of flash 10.1 for Windows. works pretty good with nvidia GPU's, but last i read not so good with ATI. and last i read Apple and Adobe had their normal old women fight and Adobe complained they didn't have enough support from Apple to make flash 10.1 for OS X
Old 01-12-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Al, you think we'll already see speed bumps to the iMacs this month? I thought we already just had the i5 and i7 introduced - or was that August already?!...

leeta - if you could hold out and get an i5 model either now or with a speed bump (which may see that as the new entry model), I'd recommend that. From what I've read the i5 really is worth the upgrade over the dual core options.

I've had my Mac Mini for about a year now and I am very happy with it. I've had almost 0 problems. It's a little slow at some things, but I'm not entirely convinced that had I purchased the processor that those problems would be gone.
the October bump was for the last intel CPU release which was just a die shrink. last week intel announced their 32nm CPU's which is a new generation.

current iMacs run on CPU's made from 45 nanometer circuits. new CPU's are 32 nanometers and they are all quad core with a lot of other enhacements.

later this year is the die shrink CPU upgrade and early next year intel is releasing 32nm CPU's with the new Sandy Bridge architecture.
Old 01-12-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Apple is in any hurry to update the iMac processors.
Old 01-12-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the info guys. Another question... When I clicked on the technical details link, it stated that the hardware platform was PC??? I looked at the upgraded version (the one with 1T Hard Drive and Radeon graphics) and the hardware platform states Mac... Help??? I would like to avoid all the inherent issues that PCs come with (i.e. falling victim to a multitude of viruses & trojan horses, glitchy windows, etc.)
Old 01-12-10, 11:25 AM

so far there is a beta of flash 10.1 for Windows. works pretty good with nvidia GPU's, but last i read not so good with ATI. and last i read Apple and Adobe had their normal old women fight and Adobe complained they didn't have enough support from Apple to make flash 10.1 for OS X
Adobe's been releasing 10.1 betas for OS X too. On my older (pre-unibody) MacBook Pro, CPU consumption dropped quite a bit after I installed 10.1. Apparently they've done other performance tuning in 10.1 besides the Windows-only GPU acceleration (which only affected H.264 video anyway).
Old 01-12-10, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by leeta View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. Another question... When I clicked on the technical details link, it stated that the hardware platform was PC??? I looked at the upgraded version (the one with 1T Hard Drive and Radeon graphics) and the hardware platform states Mac... Help??? I would like to avoid all the inherent issues that PCs come with (i.e. falling victim to a multitude of viruses & trojan horses, glitchy windows, etc.)
That's just a typo in Amazon's listing. Both of them are Mac hardware and will run Mac OS X natively.
Old 01-12-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there is a very good chance we'll see new iMac's January 27th. Late March at the latest since the last 2 years Apple has released new iMac's a few weeks after Macworld.
Doubtful. The current ones are only from October.

and Apple won't be at MacWorld.
Old 01-12-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by leeta View Post
for the last few years Mac's and "PCs" have been the exact same hardware. you can even install Windows on a Mac and run it natively without any virtualization

Mac's also have viruses, the Mac version of UAC is just as annoying as on Windows, i've read opinions by a security researcher that Windows 7 is more secure than OS X 10.6 on a technical level, etc.

most of the problems of using PC's are
1. the user. using p2p, going to shady websites and clicking everything, downloading crap like toolbars and the coupons.com bar, etc
2. crapware. Apple loads a few basic apps while a Dell/HP out of the box is like a flashing x-mas tree with 5 different AV apps saying buy me. good thing i have MSDN i can wipe it clean and install a generic version of Windows

i've been a Windows user since Windows 95 and have had maybe 10 viruses total since 1997.

Last edited by al_bundy; 01-12-10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well if they follow a historic pattern we may not see any further iMac hardware revisions until the fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...h_models#2000s

There was a 2x year update, followed by a 1 year gap, and then back to 2x update. We could now be in another 1 year gap window.
Old 01-12-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered it!

Also ordered the Applecare Protection Plan. I bought one before and it came in very handy when a hard drive died. They come out to your house and repair/replace it with no hassle unlike the service plans they try to sell you in stores.
Old 01-12-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i was going to buy it back on black friday weekend. amazon had it for $1063 or so plus 2 years 0% interest. wife didn't want to buy it yet
Old 01-12-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GHackmann View Post
Adobe's been releasing 10.1 betas for OS X too. On my older (pre-unibody) MacBook Pro, CPU consumption dropped quite a bit after I installed 10.1. Apparently they've done other performance tuning in 10.1 besides the Windows-only GPU acceleration (which only affected H.264 video anyway).
the h.264 decoding is the big one and a huge performance boost. and there are netbooks out now with the broadcom chip for hardware decoding
Old 01-12-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Weren't you around for that one sided discussion(last year?)? Bundy wanted a mac just to fiddle with but didn't even want to drop a penny on a 5 year old mac just to get his feet wet. I don't think we ever knew what came of that discussion until now. I'll assume he has older hardware which is why he's still on Tiger, maybe a G3 or G4. My pre-Intel G5 is 5 years old and running Leopard fine.
Old 01-12-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

someone gave me an original Mac Mini with a G4 CPU. i upgraded the memory on it.
Old 01-13-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if it will run old games that would run on an OS9? or would it need an emulator and would dowloading an emulator void the warranty? Thanks again for any help.

Last edited by leeta; 01-13-10 at 02:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.