Reload this Page >

Help me solve a ridiculous Win 7 problem and prove it's not a piece of crap

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-10-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit it. I'm skeptical of new Windows operating systems.

But after having bought a laptop with Windows 7 a few months back to use for Web surfing and light tasks, I thought I'd be able to take the plunge and replace my aging desktop with a Windows 7 machine. And so I did.

I bought a Dell XPS 8000 (Core i7, 8GB DDR3, 1TB, blah blah) from the Dell outlet last week, and it arrived Friday.

I've been setting it up with the programs I need, getting backups happening, etc. All has been well, and it's obviously a fine and snappy machine. Until this morning. My desktop, when I view the desktop itself, no longer has any icons on it. No trash, no shortcuts to a few folders I made. No misc files I placed there. Nothing. And when I right-click and add a new folder, or drag a folder or file to the desktop in this view, the thing I add or drop does not appear. However, when I view the "C:\Users\<my username>\Desktop" folder a Windows Explorer window, I see everything and can do everything I want. Open files, copy files, move files, etc. I made a subdirectory in this view and added the icons and files I wanted to this subdirctory, then dragged them to the graphical desktop view. They move there, but I can't see them in the normal desktop view.

I'm looking for a way to fix this issue, which started around 3 hours ago. Using the Restore program and selecting a restore point from yesterday did not work.

I obviously have no idea what could the cause of or solution to this problem. I'm hoping somebody has some idea. Because I'm pretty close to saying fuck Windows 7 at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-10-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Help me solve a ridiculous Win 7 problem and prove it's not a piece of crap

Check if you've extended your desktop to a second screen. It's possible you did and all the "missing" icons are in the second display.
Old 01-10-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, do any of the suggestions on the first post of this thread help?

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...ared-info.html

The View -> Show Desktop Items might be silly but seems to remove everything on my desktop and behave the way you describe.
Old 01-10-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Hmm, do any of the suggestions on the first post of this thread help?

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-...ared-info.html

The View -> Show Desktop Items might be silly but seems to remove everything on my desktop and behave the way you describe.
Holy crap! That fixed it.

I did the same kind of Googling you must have done, but didn't find that thread or anything about the "Show Desktop Items" option.

Thanks a bunch!

Windows 7: Not a piece of crap. Pretty much.

Also, for the record, I had the same idea as zuffy and played with the resolution to make sure I was seeing everything on my screen. Forgot to mention it, though, in my frothing anger. Thanks for the thought.

Edit: For all of the nannying that Windows 7 does, I propose that they make the following change:
* If you're right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "New Folder" (and then doing it again and again), and the "Show Desktop Items" option is de-selected, Windows should perhaps mention that there's a reason you're not seeing the new folders you're creating.

Also, by the way, there is zero chance I de-selected this option. I've never seen it before. So Windows just decided to do it on its own. Congratulations, Microsoft. You win.

Last edited by stevevt; 01-10-10 at 02:09 PM.