Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Questions about overclocking Duron processor...

Old 01-17-01, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, I just want to make sure I've got the right end of the stick over all this before I get down to anything...

Right, so the Duron chips will only run at a FSB speed of 100MHz, amd I right? And you can't alter the multiplier normally, however if you use a pencil/conductive pen to "fill in" the bridges on the chip, you CAN unlock the multiplier, and this is the only way you can overclock them. Am I right so far? I have a Duron 650, so once I unlock the multiplier, is it just a case of keeping the processor adequately cooled at whichever speed I run it?

If the above is all right, do I need to do anything else (e.g. alter voltage levels, stuff like that) or is it just a case of altering the multiplier speed under BIOS and watching that speed rise?

One last thing, what's a "good" heat for a processor to be running at? Currently my processor (according to the VIA Hardware Monitor that came with the motherboard) is giving me a temperature of 27-28 C most of the time (going up a little when its working hard...) How high a temperature is "safe" for prolonged use?

Thanks all, I'm just worried about inadvertantly killing my processor because of some little oversight or other...
Old 01-17-01, 04:12 PM

You're bascially correct. The Durons tend to be able to run up to 850-950, but like any overclocking there's no sure thing. Some cpu's (very few Durons) won't make it that high, but most do. Just remember to go slow when pushing your cpu speed (keep voltage to within +10%) and you'll be o.k.

Duron's will let you change the mulitplier with the pencil trick as you've stated. You can also overclock through the fsb, but the chipset used in motherboards don't really like being pushed. That's why people change the mulitplier instead of the fsb, it tends to be more stable. Ideally you would want the highest fsb possible, so if backing down on the mulitplier but upping the fsb slightly (thus acheiving same clock speed) could yield better results. The only way to know for sure is to experiment with what your setup can do and benchmark to see what's fastest.

You're right about trying to keep the cpu as cool as possible. Heat can keep you from reaching higher clock speeds, so if you want to overclock you should buy a really good heatsink/fan.

Whether or not you need to alter voltage depends on the cpu. You would be extremely lucky to have a cpu that could overclock to 950 at default voltage. You usually have to increase the voltage to get the cpu to run stably.

Read the following websites for info.

www.overclockers.com - they have a database of cpu's, you can get an idea of how fast other people are overclocking thier duron 650's with what equipment (hsf/motherboard) and at what voltage. If you know the serial number of your cpu, you can see if anyone else has a cpu from the same batch as yours and see what you may get out of it. They also have tons of reviews and a decent forum section.

www.anandtech.com - some reviews, but their forum is invaluable. I learned just about everything I know about computers from their forums. Check out thier overclocking cpu section for other posts. (if you do a search I bet you'll find somebody has already asked the same questions you would ask).

There are other sites, but these two should answer most of your questions.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-01, 04:37 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

for Temp: when idle it should be around 30C or less; when under full load (buncha programs running, games, rendering) should ideally be 40 C or less.

If you see you're going above 40C for consistently, then clock down or cool more.

This article is all the info you need on o/c'iing the duron...and some...

ReadMe

--HN

[This message has been edited by HN (edited January 17, 2001).]
Old 01-17-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for the record Jim, shops down here have liquid cooling set-ups for sale to cater for people who want to REALLY over clock their chips.

Some of our PC's have this set-up which I believe runs on freon. Might be worth a look if temps become a problem.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-17-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:
Originally posted by Fhrx:
Just for the record Jim, shops down here have liquid cooling set-ups for sale to cater for people who want to REALLY over clock their chips.

Some of our PC's have this set-up which I believe runs on freon. Might be worth a look if temps become a problem.

Given the way the weather's been around here recently, I could probably get a similar effect by leaving my base unit out on the windowsill It's brass monkeys out there!!!