Reload this Page >

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 04-09-22, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

So, apparently some spammer has harvested my mobile number and I'm now getting twice-daily group text messages in the form of: "Free Msg: Your bill is paid for March. Thanks, here's a little gift for you: [URL deleted by me]"

Sure, I block the fake # it's being "sent" from, but that's just a random string of 10-digits, the spammer will use a different fake # every time. Their goal is to get me to click the URL, so just blocking their # is really no help as they'll just generate a new fake # when they text me again a few hours later. Still, I block it, report it as Spam, and block the other 19 numbers in the group text in case any of those chuckleheads decides to do a Reply All, lol.

Does anyone know of a way, in Android, to block ALL group texts? I know the stock messaging app does not do this, and it might not be doable at all, but I have zero use for group messaging and am willing to miss out on it's obvious benefits (?) to prevent this crap from bothering me and my phone. Failing that, is there a 3rd party messaging app that will ONLY allow texts thru to me if the # matches one of my contacts, blocking/trashing everything else?

I'm already using Hiya do do this for calls - it's set to reject any incoming call that starts with a 0, 1, 2, 3, ... 9 unless the number is from a contact. Looking for a similar feature from a messaging app.
Old 04-09-22, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

The default Android messages app does a good job pushing spam texts into a separate area that you never see.
Old 04-09-22, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts

In the base Android app, go into Settings and check "Spam protection" is enabled.

Android's Do Not Disturb features may work to filter both your unwanted calls and texts, since you can set both to only allow known contacts. Just leave DND on all the time:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...de-in-android/

I have the T-Mobile "Scam Shield" app for blocking Spam calls and texts. It's not 100%, but it's something. I just use the basic free tier, and if a spam call/text gets through, I can mark it as spam to help their filters. Other carriers may have something similar. Verizon has one called "Call Filter".

More extreme, you could port your number to Google Voice and get a new cell number, then set your phone to always call out using the GV number, and use the GV app for texting. GV has decent spam filtering for calls and texts. I use my GV number almost exclusively, and it works fine. The bonus is you can call/text domestically fine when overseas on Wifi.

Some possible apps are RoboKiller (monthly fee), TextKiller (has both free and subscription tiers), Nomorobo (monthyl fee), and SpamHound.

More Info;
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/block-r...-spam-messages
https://www.rd.com/article/how-to-stop-spam-texts/
Old 04-09-22, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The default Android messages app does a good job pushing spam texts into a separate area that you never see.
Well...in a sense. It marks the texts as "suspected" spam, but it leaves them in the main part of the app until I confirm the spamminess of the offender. And I get a regular alert when they arrive. So... once I've confirmed that THIS text is spam the default app knows to segregate it into the never-to-be-seen area.... but since the spammer changes to a new fake number with every text, and since each text is possibly NOT spam until I tell Android that it is, 100% of the ones I'm getting are just as alert-ful as a regular text that you might send me.

But only because I've not blocked you. You're not Tarantino, after all.
Old 04-09-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
In the base Android app, go into Settings and check "Spam protection" is enabled.
It is, thanks.

Android's Do Not Disturb features may work to filter both your unwanted calls and texts, since you can set both to only allow known contacts. Just leave DND on all the time
Derp. That's so painfully obvious that I'm ashamed to admit that it never occurred to me to try that. I'm a big doofus. Thanks!
Old 04-09-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Well...in a sense. It marks the texts as "suspected" spam, but it leaves them in the main part of the app until I confirm the spamminess of the offender...
It does that with suspected SPAM, but in my messages app, there's a separate "Spam & Blocked" folder/section of many messages it automatically blocked. I've had to go into it to unblock a few texts.
Old 04-10-22, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Well...in a sense. It marks the texts as "suspected" spam, but it leaves them in the main part of the app until I confirm the spamminess of the offender. And I get a regular alert when they arrive. So... once I've confirmed that THIS text is spam the default app knows to segregate it into the never-to-be-seen area.... but since the spammer changes to a new fake number with every text, and since each text is possibly NOT spam until I tell Android that it is, 100% of the ones I'm getting are just as alert-ful as a regular text that you might send me.

But only because I've not blocked you. You're not Tarantino, after all.
Thats odd, mine always come from different numbers but it catches most of them and promptly moves them to the Spam & Blocked tab so I never see them, I have none of the numbers on my blocked/confirmed list. It also changes the alert from "Message" to "Suspicious"

Cuz frankly my phone number is a disaster spoiler for size
Spoiler:

That and the default dialers ability to screen calls and allow you to pick and choose what it says is nice.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-10-22 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-18-22, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 180 Posts

I hope they refine Android 13 because 12 is glitchy and slow at times. It's also too minimalist in terms of appearance of menus. Android 11 was much nicer and cooler to play with. Oh well.