Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 08-08-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Note 10 has a 1080 display and no microSD card and is only $949. If you want an microSD card slot then you have to buy the note 10 plus which in addition to a microsd slot has a also has a tof sensor and 4gb more ram, and a larger, 3k display.
$950 is a terrible price for what you're getting, especially when a OnePlus 7 Pro costs about $300 less and packs in a better screen, no notch and frequent software updates.I'll be hanging onto my Note 9 a little longer than I had planned.
Old 08-08-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How the hell are you going to sell a phone for that absurd price and not include a headphone jack? Wow. I own wireless buds but I see hundreds if not thousands of people with wired headphones.
Old 08-08-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
How the hell are you going to sell a phone for that absurd price and not include a headphone jack? Wow. I own wireless buds but I see hundreds if not thousands of people with wired headphones.
Well no one else has headphone jack anymore
Old 08-08-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

Well no one else has headphone jack anymore
What? The S10, the most cutting edge phone on the market now, has headphone jacks.
Old 08-08-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
What? The S10, the most cutting edge phone on the market now, has headphone jacks.
I guess that's fine if you are part of the #S10FOREVER crew.
Old 08-14-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spotify just removed their Android widget in an update. That really pisses me off because I used that every day and found it very convenient. Suddenly it's just gone from my home screen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-notifications
Old 08-14-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Spotify just removed their Android widget in an update. That really pisses me off because I used that every day and found it very convenient. Suddenly it's just gone from my home screen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-notifications
Most music apps have migrated to the notification/lock screen controls. It seems these are different, and Spotify didn't want to maintain the home screen widget. I'm guessing it wasn't highly used, especially one the notifcation screen controls popped up.

Widgets can be nice, but they're more a "power user" thing. I doubt most people ever use a widget other than the "time/temperature" one that's pre-installed on their home screen.
Old 08-14-19, 02:20 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Widgets can be nice, but they're more a "power user" thing. I doubt most people ever use a widget other than the "time/temperature" one that's pre-installed on their home screen.
I like widgets but I see that most are not well maintained. perhaps because not many use them as you said. The widgets I use are usually not for control (like for music) but for always-there information display, like time, weather, stock, travel itinerary, etc. I used to have the mother of all widgets, the "Widget Dashclock" but it's now gone.
Old 08-15-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Late to the party on the Samsung Galaxy A series, but B&H carries damn near the entire lineup in multiple colors, for those of you on GSM carriers:

Samsung Galaxy A10
Samsung Galaxy A20
Samsung Galaxy A30
Samsung Galaxy A50
Samsung Galaxy A70
Samsung Galaxy A80

If you're on Verizon, you now have the choice of the A10e (which has a smaller screen than the A10), the A20, or the A50.
Old 08-16-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Late to the party on the Samsung Galaxy A series, but B&H carries damn near the entire lineup in multiple colors, for those of you on GSM carriers:
Samsung Galaxy A20
Thanks for posting the links!

My carrier charges me $254 (locked). I might grab it at this sweet price considering I paid $212 for my current phone a few years ago.
Old 08-17-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally would take the A30 over the A20 because of its higher resolution screen and additional RAM and internal storage, the latter of which is always helpful when it comes to Android. You can also resell the free Mint Mobile SIM kit for $35-40 on eBay, something I have done several times.
Old 08-17-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I personally would take the A30 over the A20 because of its higher resolution screen and additional RAM and internal storage, the latter of which is always helpful when it comes to Android. You can also resell the free Mint Mobile SIM kit for $35-40 on eBay, something I have done several times.
I agree. The a30 hits the sweet spot, imo. You can buy the a30 in 32gb if desired tho another $30 to go to 64gb is recommended, unless you are sure you won't need it. Also remember that 32gb, you actually have 20-25gb usable

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 08-17-19 at 12:37 PM.