Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 08-08-19, 09:18 AM
  #6301  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,156
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Note 10 has a 1080 display and no microSD card and is only $949. If you want an microSD card slot then you have to buy the note 10 plus which in addition to a microsd slot has a also has a tof sensor and 4gb more ram, and a larger, 3k display.
$950 is a terrible price for what you're getting, especially when a OnePlus 7 Pro costs about $300 less and packs in a better screen, no notch and frequent software updates.I'll be hanging onto my Note 9 a little longer than I had planned.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 06:56 PM
  #6302  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 17,895
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

How the hell are you going to sell a phone for that absurd price and not include a headphone jack? Wow. I own wireless buds but I see hundreds if not thousands of people with wired headphones.
Sonic is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 09:48 PM
  #6303  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,251
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
How the hell are you going to sell a phone for that absurd price and not include a headphone jack? Wow. I own wireless buds but I see hundreds if not thousands of people with wired headphones.
Well no one else has headphone jack anymore
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 10:07 PM
  #6304  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,537
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

Well no one else has headphone jack anymore
What? The S10, the most cutting edge phone on the market now, has headphone jacks.
slop101 is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 10:48 PM
  #6305  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,251
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
What? The S10, the most cutting edge phone on the market now, has headphone jacks.
I guess that's fine if you are part of the #S10FOREVER crew.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 08:42 AM
  #6306  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,127
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Spotify just removed their Android widget in an update. That really pisses me off because I used that every day and found it very convenient. Suddenly it's just gone from my home screen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-notifications
Decker is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 08:53 AM
  #6307  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,574
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Spotify just removed their Android widget in an update. That really pisses me off because I used that every day and found it very convenient. Suddenly it's just gone from my home screen.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-notifications
Most music apps have migrated to the notification/lock screen controls. It seems these are different, and Spotify didn't want to maintain the home screen widget. I'm guessing it wasn't highly used, especially one the notifcation screen controls popped up.

Widgets can be nice, but they're more a "power user" thing. I doubt most people ever use a widget other than the "time/temperature" one that's pre-installed on their home screen.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 08-14-19, 02:20 PM
  #6308  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,132
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Widgets can be nice, but they're more a "power user" thing. I doubt most people ever use a widget other than the "time/temperature" one that's pre-installed on their home screen.
I like widgets but I see that most are not well maintained. perhaps because not many use them as you said. The widgets I use are usually not for control (like for music) but for always-there information display, like time, weather, stock, travel itinerary, etc. I used to have the mother of all widgets, the "Widget Dashclock" but it's now gone.
Psi is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 02:02 PM
  #6309  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,278
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Late to the party on the Samsung Galaxy A series, but B&H carries damn near the entire lineup in multiple colors, for those of you on GSM carriers:

Samsung Galaxy A10
Samsung Galaxy A20
Samsung Galaxy A30
Samsung Galaxy A50
Samsung Galaxy A70
Samsung Galaxy A80

If you're on Verizon, you now have the choice of the A10e (which has a smaller screen than the A10), the A20, or the A50.
printerati is offline  
Old 08-16-19, 05:32 PM
  #6310  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 17,895
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Late to the party on the Samsung Galaxy A series, but B&H carries damn near the entire lineup in multiple colors, for those of you on GSM carriers:
Samsung Galaxy A20
Thanks for posting the links!

My carrier charges me $254 (locked). I might grab it at this sweet price considering I paid $212 for my current phone a few years ago.
Sonic is offline  
Old 08-17-19, 09:24 AM
  #6311  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,278
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

I personally would take the A30 over the A20 because of its higher resolution screen and additional RAM and internal storage, the latter of which is always helpful when it comes to Android. You can also resell the free Mint Mobile SIM kit for $35-40 on eBay, something I have done several times.
printerati is offline  
Old 08-17-19, 12:30 PM
  #6312  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,251
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I personally would take the A30 over the A20 because of its higher resolution screen and additional RAM and internal storage, the latter of which is always helpful when it comes to Android. You can also resell the free Mint Mobile SIM kit for $35-40 on eBay, something I have done several times.
I agree. The a30 hits the sweet spot, imo. You can buy the a30 in 32gb if desired tho another $30 to go to 64gb is recommended, unless you are sure you won't need it. Also remember that 32gb, you actually have 20-25gb usable

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 08-17-19 at 12:37 PM.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.