Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 04-17-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
The Galaxy Fold is out. It's expensive, but it's a lot more refined and more usable than I had imagined, When the Samsung Note first came out, most people thought how ridiculously big it was, and how weird it looked when you held it to your ear to call. Nowadays, a lot of phones are even bigger than the original Note.

I wonder if one day not far from now, many phones will be just like this Galaxy Fold, a phone that can open up into a tablet. They really don't have to go far -- add under-screen fingerprint reader, eliminate the notch, make it thinner and they are there (to me at least).
Galaxy Fold review units are failing left and right with disastrous display issues
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...isplay-issues/

Last edited by Match; 04-17-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't think that surprises anyone.. things that fold will always break eventually. I thought they'd last more than a few days though.. They'll get it figured out to last an average of 2-3 years which what most people want out of a phone these days.

However we can look forward to this headline a few years from now when Apple comes out with theirs : "Apple invents fold-able phone!!!"
Old 04-21-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Also my wireless Samsung earbuds preorder application was approved and will ship next month.
Well they did screw up my free earbud order like I sort of expected them to ó but in a good way. They simultaneously and separately sent me two sets. Now I guess Iím okay even after I inevitably lose one of them.
Old 04-22-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm really digging the wide-angle lens in the S10. No way you could take an arena picture, like this one I took last night, with a standard camera phone :
Old 04-22-19, 07:59 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'm really digging the wide-angle lens in the S10. No way you could take an arena picture, like this one I took last night, with a standard camera phone :
I've tested a S10 Plus (which has the same cameras as S10), and even though I knew it had a wide-angle camera, I was surprised by how wide. Do you know what lens mm (focal length) it's equivalent to? The only thing I could find is that it captures a 123 degree viewing angle.

Last edited by Psi; 04-22-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice shot!
Old 05-12-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Verizon S8 finally got Android 9.0 today

Edit: and it brings a noticeable performance increase, that's a nice change

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-12-19, 11:55 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
My Verizon S8 finally got Android 9.0 today
I am not sure if the S8 can get the new Samsung interface called "One UI." I have the Note 8 and got it about a month ago. It requires Android 9.0, so you have to get that first. I think the One UI update is more significant than Android 9.0. Much cleaner look and faster too.
Old 05-12-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am not sure if the S8 can get the new Samsung interface called "One UI." I have the Note 8 and got it about a month ago. It requires Android 9.0, so you have to get that first. I think the One UI update is more significant than Android 9.0. Much cleaner look and faster too.
Yeah One UI is on the S8 as well (oldest phone to get it I believe), the 9.0 update includes One UI 1.0. Definitely a step up from the older Samsung UI.

It​​​ appears to be more lightweight, im liking it. Substantially better performance, especially from Android Auto.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-13-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone getting the Pixel 3a? I'm *very* interested in it - that camera at that price point? Damn! - unfortunately it doesn't have expandable storage, one of my dealbreakers. (Even though I have Spotify Premium, I keep a ton of music on my phone since I don't have unlimited data.) I was super happy to see that it does include another dealbreaker of mine: a headphone jack. I've largely transitioned to bluetooth headphones, but my car's BT is absolutely terrible, so I use the aux input to play music in it. Funny that Google's reasoning for including the jack on the 3a, but not the 3 is essentially because the ones buying the phone are "the poors". Flagship buyers prefer to have functionality removed when they spend more money?

Different strokes and to each their own, but personally I could never justify paying current gen flagship prices. I've always been a mid tier guy. (My current phone is a Nokia 7.1 and at $350, it's the most I've ever paid for one.) I'm happy to see one of the big players - or at least a big name - finally recognize the market and try their hand in it. I hope the 3a is a success for Google and others follow suit.
Old 05-15-19, 01:47 PM

I've also been thinking about getting the Pixel 3a. I don't think the lack of wireless charging will bother me (as my iPhone 7 doesn't have it), and I actually prefer the non-glass casing. Didn't know about the headphone jack, but that's a plus in my book.

Supposedly some good trade-in deals being offered on older phones, so I'll probably check that out before biting the bullet.
Old 05-15-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
I've also been thinking about getting the Pixel 3a. I don't think the lack of wireless charging will bother me (as my iPhone 7 doesn't have it), and I actually prefer the non-glass casing. Didn't know about the headphone jack, but that's a plus in my book.

Supposedly some good trade-in deals being offered on older phones, so I'll probably check that out before biting the bullet.
Best Buy has a $100 gift card with purchase deal this week. Discounted even more if you activate it, but I buy my phones unlocked to use on Cricket, so it wouldn't qualify. I'm REALLY tempted to pull the trigger while that promotion is going on because my phone is having a very frustrating USB connectivity problem that makes it tough to charge. (Thankfully it's still under warranty, but sending it away to be fixed will be a hassle.) But no expandable storage on the 3a. I just looked and on my 64 gb phone I'm using 41.86 gb on the OS and apps and have 24.48 gb worth of music and pictures on my SD card. That's more than the 64 gb 3a could handle and I steadily add music to my phone. Hmmm. I'm going to have to do some soul searching very soon.

Last edited by DJLinus; 05-15-19 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Best Buy has a $100 gift card with purchase deal this week. Discounted even more if you activate it, but I buy my phones unlocked to use on Cricket, so it wouldn't qualify. I'm REALLY tempted to pull the trigger while that promotion is going on because my phone is having a very frustrating USB connectivity problem that makes it tough to charge. (Thankfully it's still under warranty, but sending it away to be fixed will be a hassle.) But no expandable storage on the 3a. I just looked and on my 64 gb phone I'm using 41.86 gb on the OS and apps and have 24.48 gb worth of music and pictures on my SD card. That's more than the 64 gb 3a could handle and I steadily add music to my phone. Hmmm. I'm going to have to do some soul searching very soon.
Ah, I must have missed the part about no expandable storage. I've got about 85GB of stuff on my iPhone right now, so that likely wouldn't work for me either.
Old 05-16-19, 03:59 PM
Stealth Moderator

I've tested a S10 Plus (which has the same cameras as S10), and even though I knew it had a wide-angle camera, I was surprised by how wide. Do you know what lens mm (focal length) it's equivalent to? The only thing I could find is that it captures a 123 degree viewing angle.
Ultra wide = 12mm equivalent
Wide = 26-27mm equivalent
Telephoto = 52mm equivalent

Sources:
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...iew-1903p6.php
https://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/sa...camera-review/

My personal phone is the iPhone XR. I just bought a used Pixel 2 for $150 for my work (excellent condition from eBay). Looking forward to doing some side by side camera comparisons.
Old 05-24-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah the irony.... Google removes one of its own phones from Google's recommended devices. Lol

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/24/hu...mpression=true
Old 05-24-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hah, I own one of those.
Old 05-24-19, 03:11 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Ah the irony.... Google removes one of its own phones from Google's recommended devices. Lol

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/24/hu...mpression=true
They are just complying with the government ban on Huawei, and it's well known that Google has their phones built by other companies. It's not like there is some other flaw with those phones.
Old 05-24-19, 03:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by namja View Post
Ultra wide = 12mm equivalent
Wide = 26-27mm equivalent
Telephoto = 52mm equivalent
Thanks. 12 mm is indeed ultrawide. I am thinking about getting a Note 10 when it comes out, and rumor that it will have an ultrawide too.
Old 05-24-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are just complying with the government ban on Huawei, and it's well known that Google has their phones built by other companies. It's not like there is some other flaw with those phones.
I would consider the boot loop issue to be a flAw. It is also serious enough that Google will pay up to $400 to 6p owners.

But honestly the point was that it was ironic... That's all. I get that Google paid Huawei to build the 6p , but it was built to Google requirements.
Old 06-24-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone have a Google Pixel 3a XL? If so, how do you like it and would you recommend it? Thanks.
Old 06-27-19, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

How about Pixel 3 XL?
Old 06-29-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Does anyone have a Google Pixel 3a XL? If so, how do you like it and would you recommend it? Thanks.
I ended up getting the 3a (but not the XL; it's way too big) and I love the thing. The camera is excellent. Battery life is great. I'm not noticing any lag. (Note: I'm not a gamer.) I also always use a case, so it being plastic is really a non-issue. Pure Android is the way to go. Granted, I wasn't coming from a flagship, so I'm not missing the bells and whistles I never had in the first place.

My only real issue is with the relatively small internal storage, but since getting the phone I changed carriers. The deal I got more than tripled my data for only $5 extra a month, so I'm getting used to streaming my music via Spotify all the time now. I'd definitely recommend the phone.
Old 06-30-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!
Old 06-30-19, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
My only real issue is with the relatively small internal storage, but since getting the phone I changed carriers.
That's the only reason I didn't pull the trigger on the phone, the lack of expandable storage was a deal breaker for me, given the amount of photos/video I take, the number of apps I use, and the amount of music on my phone. At this point, I'm going to wait for the Pixel 4 in October and hope for a B1G1 deal or something.