Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 03-12-19, 11:12 AM

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

So I'm coming from iPhone so it's a learning curve but the wife and I are enjoying it

With Verizon we got my 10+ at full price and hers was 750 off by adding a line so a flagship 10 for 150 a month isn't bad at all We then sold our two iPhones for 1400 and paid off the other look lines Lol

We went full on this and sold the apple watches and ingot the galaxy watch and she got the new Active watch

Again a learning curve but really liking them
Old 03-13-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's definitely different and definitely has a learning curve. But welcome aboard, hope you guys like your new toys

I bought a Moto G7 for Google Fi this past week. Pretty solid phone for the price ($250).
Old 03-13-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's definitely different and definitely has a learning curve. But welcome aboard, hope you guys like your new toys

I bought a Moto G7 for Google Fi this past week. Pretty solid phone for the price ($250).
How are you liking Google Fi? I have an unlocked Moto G6 and ordered a Google Fi SIM card yesterday to try out the service. I'll be traveling overseas for a few weeks and plan to swap in the Fi card for my Verizon one to save some money since Verizon is way behind the times when it comes to international travel. I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it beyond that though as I was pretty much forced into using Verizon as T-Mobile is terrible indoors here in the Chicago area and pretty much unusable in Madison, WI where I spend a lot of time and have one kid in school. I'm not sure that Sprint and US Cellular will be able to make up for those shortcomings but I'm going to give it a shot. From what I hear it's pretty awesome if you travel overseas a lot and pretty average otherwise.
Old 03-13-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been on Google Fi for a few months now and have zero complaints.
Old 03-14-19, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've watched a few reviews on the S10e and so far the reviews seem positive.

As I just earlier, I am looking to upgrade and this model seems to fit my budget better than the S10 or S10+

I did drop by T-Mobile the other day and they did clarify how the trade-in promo works. It's a trade-in for up to $390. I get $155 (current value of my phone) taken off the $750 price right away. The remaining $235 will be taken off via monthly bill credits over 3 years.

So basically I get an extra $6.52 taken off my bill per month for 3 years. The monthly financing for this phone is no money down and about $20/per month payments for 3 years with the service charges. Of course I could pay off the phone faster at any point.

I did see Samsung.com has a slightly different promo. It's a $300 trade in taken off my phone and I pay $18.75/month financing over 2 years as opposed to 3.

So, if you do the math, which one do you think is a better deal? Psi commented on the last page and says my net cost is higher. The big difference is that T-Mobile is financing this over 3 years as opposed to 2 on Samsung.com. And I'm not getting a full $300 off right away. I'm only getting $155. The rest of the promo trade-in value is spread out over 3 years.
Old 03-14-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
How are you liking Google Fi? I have an unlocked Moto G6 and ordered a Google Fi SIM card yesterday to try out the service. I'll be traveling overseas for a few weeks and plan to swap in the Fi card for my Verizon one to save some money since Verizon is way behind the times when it comes to international travel. I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it beyond that though as I was pretty much forced into using Verizon as T-Mobile is terrible indoors here in the Chicago area and pretty much unusable in Madison, WI where I spend a lot of time and have one kid in school. I'm not sure that Sprint and US Cellular will be able to make up for those shortcomings but I'm going to give it a shot. From what I hear it's pretty awesome if you travel overseas a lot and pretty average otherwise.
So far so good. Verizon is terrible in buildings here but I've had a great deal of success using the G7 + "Built for Fi" setup indoors and out. I haven't used it extensively yet so I can't really say it's amazing outright.

I also bought it since I plan to travel a good bit this year. It definitely seems like a great World Traveler phone.

Oh and Android Auto works like gangbusters in Android Pie. It had some quirks on my S8 that are entirely gone now.

Is anyone else on Google Fi using the Enhanced Network Beta? Curious how performance has been. I do kind of like the idea of insta-VPN over cellular.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-14-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-14-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Played around with the middle S10 - I liked it, might get it a little on down the line.

Trading in my current phone (an S6 in pristine condition) will get me $27 for a trade in - fucking LOL!

My S6 is starting to slow down, to say nothing of it's ever dwindling battery-life.
But it's already so dialed-in - I don't want to have to go through the whole rigamarole of getting a new phone set up to how I like it.
Old 03-14-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Played around with the middle S10 - I liked it, might get it a little on down the line.

Trading in my current phone (an S6 in pristine condition) will get me $27 for a trade in - fucking LOL!

My S6 is starting to slow down, to say nothing of it's ever dwindling battery-life.
But it's already so dialed-in - I don't want to have to go through the whole rigamarole of getting a new phone set up to how I like it.
Who's your provider?

If you trade it in with Samsung.com you get $150
Old 03-14-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Who's your provider?

If you trade it in with Samsung.com you get $150
T-mobile, but I do have a close friend who's a higher up at Samsung, and he said he might be able t get me a good discount on one... I'll wait and see.
Old 03-14-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got my S10 over the weekend. I really like it. The fingerprint sensor is SOLID - works great, and I don't have to open my eyes and glare like a madman to unlock my phone like I did with the S8. The battery life is good as avertised. Lasts all day. I started using my phone this morning at 6, have been checking on it throughout the day, haven't plugged it in at all and now at 1:30 PM it's at 74%. I have been WAITING for a Samsung phone that I didn't have to charge at all during the day and this is clearly it.

Also my wireless Samsung earbuds preorder application was approved and will ship next month.
Old 03-14-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
So far so good. Verizon is terrible in buildings here but I've had a great deal of success using the G7 + "Built for Fi" setup indoors and out. I haven't used it extensively yet so I can't really say it's amazing outright.

I also bought it since I plan to travel a good bit this year. It definitely seems like a great World Traveler phone.

Oh and Android Auto works like gangbusters in Android Pie. It had some quirks on my S8 that are entirely gone now.

Is anyone else on Google Fi using the Enhanced Network Beta? Curious how performance has been. I do kind of like the idea of insta-VPN over cellular.
Got the SIM today so I'll give it a test-run between Chicago and Madison tomorrow and then overseas for the next few weeks. That should give me all the data I need to make a decision. It does suck how regional these "nationwide" networks really are. It seems like every time I move to a new state I need to switch carriers for some reason or other.
Old 03-15-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched a few reviews on the S10e and so far the reviews seem positive.

As I just earlier, I am looking to upgrade and this model seems to fit my budget better than the S10 or S10+

I did drop by T-Mobile the other day and they did clarify how the trade-in promo works. It's a trade-in for up to $390. I get $155 (current value of my phone) taken off the $750 price right away. The remaining $235 will be taken off via monthly bill credits over 3 years.

So basically I get an extra $6.52 taken off my bill per month for 3 years. The monthly financing for this phone is no money down and about $20/per month payments for 3 years with the service charges. Of course I could pay off the phone faster at any point.

I did see Samsung.com has a slightly different promo. It's a $300 trade in taken off my phone and I pay $18.75/month financing over 2 years as opposed to 3.

So, if you do the math, which one do you think is a better deal? Psi commented on the last page and says my net cost is higher. The big difference is that T-Mobile is financing this over 3 years as opposed to 2 on Samsung.com. And I'm not getting a full $300 off right away. I'm only getting $155. The rest of the promo trade-in value is spread out over 3 years.

What phone do you have? Best buy will give you up to $550. For example a note 8 which came out in 2017 will net you $550. You can get up to $100 more depending on carrier. The $550 trade in works on the unlocked model too. I like best buy as it is a GC and reduction in amount owed, so you can pay it off at any time and not lose out like with Bill credits

So in essence you can get an s10e for as low as $100 with trade in of a note 8
Old 03-16-19, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

What phone do you have? Best buy will give you up to $550. For example a note 8 which came out in 2017 will net you $550. You can get up to $100 more depending on carrier. The $550 trade in works on the unlocked model too. I like best buy as it is a GC and reduction in amount owed, so you can pay it off at any time and not lose out like with Bill credits

So in essence you can get an s10e for as low as $100 with trade in of a note 8
T-Mobile and an S8+ with 64GB.

and I just checked. My phone can get me $300. $120 plus a $180 promo.

very similar to the Samsung promo except without the financing option.
Old 03-16-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

T-Mobile and an S8+ with 64GB.

and I just checked. My phone can get me $300. $120 plus a $180 promo.

very similar to the Samsung promo except without the financing option.
Really? Best buy only gives you $300 for the s8+? Seems low considering that they give you $550 for the note 8.
Old 03-21-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my S8+ to the new S10e.

I decided to do the upgrade through Samsung.com as opposed to through T-Mobile because you get the $300 trade in right away as opposed to half of it split through bill credits. I was not keen about $235 being split monthly over 3 years. The actual trade in value right away from T-Mobile as I said was only $155.

I've never ordered it through Samsung. So how does the financing work? Normally it gets added into my monthly service charges. So now will I get a separate bill to pay for the actual monthly phone financing charge? When I get my bill from T-Mobile will it only include the monthly service charge now?
Old 03-21-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my S8+ to the new S10e.

I decided to do the upgrade through Samsung.com as opposed to through T-Mobile because you get the $300 trade in right away as opposed to half of it split through bill credits. I was not keen about $235 being split monthly over 3 years. The actual trade in value right away from T-Mobile as I said was only $155.

I've never ordered it through Samsung. So how does the financing work? Normally it gets added into my monthly service charges. So now will I get a separate bill to pay for the actual monthly phone financing charge? When I get my bill from T-Mobile will it only include the monthly service charge now?
I believe that You would get a separate charge from Samsung for it.
Old 03-21-19, 10:30 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I believe that You would get a separate charge from Samsung for it.
I think so too. I previously bought a phone through samsung.com, and I also have service from T-Mobile. The Samsung and T-Mobile transactions are handled separately. As far as T-Mobile is concerned, I brought my own unlocked phone, and they didn't care how I got it or paid for it.

The only reason I did that was to get a blue Note 8 phone, and T-Mobile offered only black or white models in the US. Prices were the same.
Old 03-21-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks
My S8+ is now paid off, so I'll be sending that back for the trade. It had a good run.

I figured the financing for this was processed separately.
Old 03-21-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks
My S8+ is now paid off, so I'll be sending that back for the trade. It had a good run.

I figured the financing for this was processed separately.
Make sure you read the condition requirements carefully. People have complained about being denied by Samsung. I have done a few myself without issue though