Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 01-18-19, 10:37 PM
Banned

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Looks like they introduced the new Galaxy F. The first foldable phone.

Price range for a foldable phone? 1500-2000. And people said the new Apple phone was expensive
Old 01-20-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker View Post
Looks like they introduced the new Galaxy F. The first foldable phone.

Price range for a foldable phone? 1500-2000. And people said the new Apple phone was expensive
They are. These are too, but at least it does something different. Apple gets more grief for re-releasing the same package over and over again at a higher price.

Plus, I don't think this is intended for the mass market... yet. (Also, it looks kinda bulky when folded.)
Old 02-04-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dropped my S8 the other day like 2 feet of a bench and it fell to the ground and shattered. So annoying, compounded by the fact that we're so close to the launch of the S10 that I don't want to pay to get it fixed now. Frustrating

If you ever get a Gear watch, buy it from Best Buy and s[pend the $59.99 on the extended warranty. I usually ignore those, but I bought one in this case because they said Wear & Tear was covered. Two years later the watch was chugging and not working great. I showed up there and they swapped it out immediately with a new one. Then they asked me if I would like to spend another $60 on another 2 year Warranty. I immediately said "YES!". It looks like I can have a new Smart Watch every year or two for $60 each. That is fantastic considering the wear and tear they go through.
Old 02-20-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Galaxy Fold. Just 2 grand. No big deal

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/18231249/samsung-galaxy-fold-folding-phone-features-screen-photos-size-announcement

S10 and S10 Plus as well, of course. The rising cost of flagship phones sucks.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...hands-on-video

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-20-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does, but they are excellent phones (I'm still using my S8 with no issues and strong battery life). $2000 seems reasonable for a more or less prototype gen-1 phone with multiple screens.
Old 02-20-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Galaxy Fold. Just 2 grand. No big deal

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/18231249/samsung-galaxy-fold-folding-phone-features-screen-photos-size-announcement

S10 and S10 Plus as well, of course. The rising cost of flagship phones sucks.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...hands-on-video
They priced the s10 and s10 plus $100 less than the iPhone counterparts.
Old 02-20-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the same boat, I will continue to pick up Galaxy phones. So far we've had the S4, S6 Active, and now the S8 Active and haven't run into any major issues with any of them.

Unfortunately it looks like they might be dropping the Active line though since I didn't see a S9 Activate. So if that's the case we'll keep these as long as we can. I can't count how many times my wife and I have dropped our phones on concrete, dust them off and they are perfectly fine.
Old 02-20-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I'm in the same boat, I will continue to pick up Galaxy phones. So far we've had the S4, S6 Active, and now the S8 Active and haven't run into any major issues with any of them.

Unfortunately it looks like they might be dropping the Active line though since I didn't see a S9 Activate. So if that's the case we'll keep these as long as we can. I can't count how many times my wife and I have dropped our phones on concrete, dust them off and they are perfectly fine.
Well there was no s9 active so, is doubtful that there will be an s10 active.
Old 02-20-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to sound like one of those guys, but throwing an OtterBox Commuter on works great. I drop my S8 a lot, still in great condition.
Old 02-20-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

They priced the s10 and s10 plus $100 less than the iPhone counterparts.
But more then the S9. Hence, my comment.
Old 02-20-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there was no s9 active so, is doubtful that there will be an s10 active.
And if that's the case, I'll have a cell phone that's paid off until this one bites the dust
Old 02-20-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But more then the S9. Hence, my comment.
Well the s10e is the closest thing to the s9 and pricing is similar.

They did add a new class of ultra premium phones for the s10 though.

Old 02-20-19, 11:47 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really excited about the direction set by the S10. I'd like to see a few reviews of the cameras, especially for night mode. But I'm hooked on the pen so will have to wait until the Note 10.
Old 02-21-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well the s10e is the closest thing to the s9 and pricing is similar.

They did add a new class of ultra premium phones for the s10 though.

This seems like a weird thing to try and argue against and justify, let alone using the S10e for comparison. Or you're just trying to be contrary.

Calling it a new class of phones seems like Apple-like marketing, at the end of the day the cost of many "flagship" phones like the iPhone or Galaxy has gone up considerably over the last 2 years. The existence of a cut down version at the price closer to that of previous generation's flagships isn't an equivalent alternative, in my opinion.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-21-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This seems like a weird thing to try and argue against and justify, let alone using the S10e for comparison. Or you're just trying to be contrary.

Calling it a new class of phones seems like Apple-like marketing, at the end of the day the cost of many "flagship" phones like the iPhone or Galaxy has gone up considerably over the last 2 years. The existence of a cut down version at the price closer to that of previous generation's flagships isn't an equivalent alternative, in my opinion.
Equivalent, no. But it's the closest thing.

And the s10e has 50% more ram than the s9,
Double the internal storage,and twice the number of rear cameras. All for about the same cost.

The only downgrade from the s9 is the screen is "only" fhd+ and there's no curved edge. Which is fine for me because I hated the curve and fhd+ is adequate, imo.
Old 02-21-19, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Equivalent, no. But it's the closest thing.

And the s10e has 50% more ram than the s9,
Double the internal storage,and twice the number of rear cameras. All for about the same cost.

The only downgrade from the s9 is the screen is "only" fhd+ and there's no curved edge. Which is fine for me because I hated the curve and fhd+ is adequate, imo.
For someone that liked to post frequently about how cheap you were able to get new phones before, it's weird to me that you're defending and justifying the price increase and/or creation of a higher class. I think its fine that the iPhone XR and or S10e exist, but its not relevant to my point... which again, is at the end of the day flagship phones are pricier then before. And i'm just bitching about it
Old 02-21-19, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apple filed a patent on foldable phone technology or some shit, so we'll see their version soon enough. I'm digging what I am seeing of these phones - they look neat.
Old 02-22-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of the new Galaxies, the one I'm most interested in is the S model. I really want a full screen, smaller phone and this seems to fit the bill. I kinda regret upgrading my iphone 8 to an XS this past year. Larger than I'd like and also much heavier due to the stainless body. I may flip the XS and get a S10s when they launch.
Old 02-23-19, 07:28 AM

Hey folks I’m new here and ordered the ceramic white 512 s 10 +. Significance is I have been an iPhone owner since the 3 and tired of the “innovation” lately.

Im aware I need to turn iMessage and FaceTime odf
but is there anything else needed for the switch?
Old 02-23-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Android in general is very easy to use, as are all the Samsung phones. But yeah, you'll be missing out on 1. Any apps you've previously bought, 2. Apple-exclusive apps like iMessage and FaceTime.

Otherwise it isn't an overly complex phone to use, the Google-centric messaging/video chat apps (Google Hangouts) work fine, and you can customize as much or as little as you want.

I actually find it more intuitive these days after the fruit decided to get in the business of area-dependent drag down menus.
Old 02-25-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some early camera comparisons between the S10s and the iPhone XS (and in one case the Pixel 3 as well):

Long and short of it is that the Galaxy appears to be the superior camera of the three with truly excellent image stabilization for video and much better low light performance than the iPhone. For general use in decent light, all three cameras are pretty solid but the Samsung gives you the wide angle option not available on the other two.
Old 02-26-19, 02:54 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am glad they have the wide-angle camera now. On their previous two-camera phones, they had a choice between standard and telephoto, or standard and wide angle, and they went with the former. I'm sure they had their reason, but wide angle would have been more useful for me. It doesn't matter now that they have all 3.

The only thing I have not seen discussed is availability of a Night mode a la Pixel 3 (not just low light, but extreme low light)
Old 03-05-19, 02:23 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Camera comparison between Samsung S10+ and Pixel 3XL, often recognized as having the best phone camera of all. The S10+ does surprisingly well, especially for daytime shots. The Pixel remains king for very low light.

Old 03-08-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I'm a T-Mobile customer and they currently have a promo where if you trade in a recent device, you can get $390 off the new Samsung S10.

I'm thinking about doing it for the S10E since that is the least expensive of all 3 new phones. I currently have an S8+. It's worth $155.

If I trade it in, it's $155 off the $750 MSRP. The remaining $235 will be spread out via bill credits. The S10 and S10+ are just too expensive and this one requires no money down and the financing is only $20/month.

I usually upgrade every 2 years. What do you all think? Do you think this is probably the best trade-in promo I'll get?

I'm not that crazy about the bill credits. I'd rather have that money taken off the price of the phone right away. But, if I wait any longer to hopefully get a different promo, the value of the phone will continue to drop.
Old 03-08-19, 11:37 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That seems like a good deal. If you go through samsung.com, you can get $300 for the trade-in, but you start from the list price without discount, so your net cost is higher.

The only thing is to check out the phone size. Since you are coming from a S8+, the S10e may be too small.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.