DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-25-18, 09:00 PM   #6176
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Just got Oreo 8.1 pushed to my Moto G5+ this weekend. I'm certain there are going to be a lot of things I like about it, but my first impressions - based on a tweak to the GUI and disappearance of Night Mode - are a little frustrating.

I wish Google didn't have to monkey around with the shape of the icons. Sure, I can pick whether I want all of the icons to be square or round or rounded-square or teardrop.... but boy I sure wish I could just reset them all to their native shapes. When a default-square icon is forced to be round, Oreo shrinks the default icon 20% (ish) and plops it on a white circle. When a default-round icon is forced to be square, again Oreo shrinks it down and plops it on a white square. Since 1/3 of my apps have icons that default to square, 1/3 to round, and 1/3 to their own funky shape, my new desktops are covered with a lot of shrinky-dink iconry and a lot of white space. It's the opposite of elegant, it's really amateur looking and it's just a little distracting. Maybe after 24 days/weeks of it I'll get used to it, but after 24 hours it still kinda sucks.

Using "teardrop" shapes... half of my icons are shrinky-dinked, half retain their default setting.... WTF?

And, coming from 7.0 where I could toggle Night Mode on/off, I'm now forced to download a clunky 3rd party app to "de-blue" my display at night, when driving, etc. And rather than have Night Mode in my tray that I can just tap to toggle, I have to either set it to run at default times or I have to tappity-tap-tap-tap through to find the app and launch it, then pick the amount of blue reduction I want.... and even then, whenever I pull down my notifications or the tray, or when the device reverts to the lock screen, it's full on BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL TIME.

Attention K-Mart Shoppers.... Blue Light SUCKS

Like I said, I'm certain there will be lot of cool stuff I'll like/love about Oreo 8.1... but since I have to look at the screen and the icons and brightness are all fucked up, the experience is hella tarnished for me right now.

/rant

Last edited by kenbuzz; 11-25-18 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-27-18, 03:54 PM   #6177
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
That is amazing. I looked at the Pixel 3 yesterday, and that notch is just too big for me, even if blacked out. I probably would have been more OK with it if the bezel had the same height as the Pixel 2. I wish Google and Samsung would make phones together again, and build a hybrid of Pixel 3 and the upcoming Note 10.
Pixel 3 does not have a notch. Only the Pixel 3 XL.
Old 11-27-18, 05:06 PM   #6178
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Pixel 3 does not have a notch. Only the Pixel 3 XL.
Sorry I meant the XL. Since I went big-phone, I can't go back.
Old 12-02-18, 02:18 PM   #6179
DVD Talk Hero

Samsung Galaxy 10 rumors churning:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-...view-5295.html

Quote:
Latest Galaxy S10 Leaks and Rumors (Nov. 29)

A new rumor has the Galaxy S10 potentially featuring up to 10GB of RAM and 1TB of internal storage.

The iPhone XS reportedly defeats the Exynos 9810-powered Galaxy S10+ in AnTuTu benchmarks, according to well-known Samsung leaker Ice Universe.

The latest details on Samsung's new OneUI software experience have been added to this report.

Galaxy S10 Cheat Sheet - Biggest Changes to Expect

Samsung is reportedly planning up to four variants of the Galaxy S10 at 5.8-, 6.1-, 6.4- and 6.7-inch sizes. The cheapest could have a flat display, while the largest and most expensive may support 5G and carry a total of six cameras across the front and rear.

Expect an ultrasonic in-screen fingerprint sensor. This would allow you to unlock the phone just by placing your finger on the display.

Samsung has teased the Galaxy S10 will have a markedly different design from its predecessors, and rumors suggest it'll come in the form of a bezel-free Infinity-O screen with a cutout in the panel for the front-facing camera.

The back of the Galaxy S10 may feature as many as four cameras, according to a report The Wall Street Journal. But other reports have said the phone will offer three cameras.

The Galaxy S10 is expected to split power between Qualcomm's flagship Snapdragon 8150 chipset for North American models, and Samsung's own Exynos 8920 silicon for the rest of the world.
I think 6.1 inch screen size, a la the iPhone XR, is going to become the new "sweet spot" for a lot of consumers so Samsung would be wise to replicate it. If Samsung can hit a home run with their new cameras, this phone will probably sell quite well. I am definitely holding onto my 6S for a little longer until the phone is at least announced.
Old 12-02-18, 07:35 PM   #6180
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I am hoping for two more things:
- Improved picture quality, not by addition of another camera, but by smarter image processing (the Google Pixel way).
- Significantly higher battery life, for example one hour of screen-on time over the S9.
Old 12-02-18, 08:52 PM   #6181
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
^ I am hoping for two more things:
- Improved picture quality, not by addition of another camera, but by smarter image processing (the Google Pixel way).
- Significantly higher battery life, for example one hour of screen-on time over the S9.
I think they know they have to do both of these things, most especially the first one. One of the main reason why people pay for high end phones is the camera and both Google and Apple have set a high bar with their releases this year. If Samsung does not at least match this, they might as well get out of the pool.
Old 12-02-18, 10:00 PM   #6182
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I certainly hope so but am not confident. It seems that Samsung is great at hardware while Google owns software, especially artificial intelligence which is essential in optimizing photographs. If those two companies would just get in a room to build their next phone...
Old 12-02-18, 10:24 PM   #6183
DVD Talk Godfather

I have the S8+ and I'm debating whether or not I should jump into the S10 right away. No doubt it's going to be super expensive upon it's initial release. I'm hoping for some kind of deal/trade-in deal when the time comes.
Old 12-02-18, 11:01 PM   #6184
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because I prefer the Note line (because of the pen), timing works better: Usually launch is around Sept, and we can take advantage of the Black Friday/Christmas promos.
Old 12-03-18, 11:16 AM   #6185
DVD Talk Hero

I have an S6, which is starting to show it's age with shorter battery life and just slower overall speed. Might upgrade to the S10... maybe. I wonder if my friend who's a higher-up at Samsung can get me a discount or something.
Old 12-03-18, 11:27 AM   #6186
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I have an S6, which is starting to show it's age with shorter battery life and just slower overall speed. Might upgrade to the S10... maybe. I wonder if my friend who's a higher-up at Samsung can get me a discount or something.
If you aren't comfortable with calling in a favor, you could always look into creating your own Samsung EPP (Employee Purchase Program) account to get access to discounted pricing on several products, not just phones. Slickdeals and Reddit have more information on how to do it, but I have never tried it myself.
Old 12-05-18, 10:33 AM   #6187
DVD Talk Hero

Not impressed with the pill cut out on the s10. Honestly just do the notch and call it a day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#e1fd4ec573cc
Old 12-05-18, 11:59 AM   #6188
DVD Talk Godfather

Ugh, all these designs are so fucking bad to me.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-05-18, 12:33 PM   #6189
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would be OK with the round hole on one side that has been floating around.

On a different topic, I hate this Forbes click-bait crap. Almost every phone-related article of theirs says that Company X is testing a "radical idea" or launching a "radical design," and in the article there is nothing radical about it. Forbes must have hired the writers who wrote for Facebook Newsfeed.
Old 12-06-18, 09:31 AM   #6190
DVD Talk Hero

Motorola has the att z2 force for $100. No contract or payment plan required. This was Motorola's flagship last year. Great specs for the price

https://slickdeals.net/f/12409510-64gb-motorola-moto-z2-force-edition-at-t-smartphone-100-free-shipping?src=frontpage
Old 12-11-18, 09:10 AM   #6191
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Just got Oreo 8.1 pushed to my Moto G5+ this weekend. I'm certain there are going to be a lot of things I like about it, but my first impressions - based on a tweak to the GUI and disappearance of Night Mode - are a little frustrating.
I also have a Moto G5+ and updated it yesterday. The icon thing is inelegant and frustrating, but maybe look into using Nova launcher or the like? I immediately put that on the phone when I first got it because it was the only way I found to remove the Google search bar from the main screen. After the update I tweaked the app icon settings and the wasted white space is mostly gone. (It's still there for some official Google apps like Play Music/Movies/Books, Photos, etc.) Some apps with funky shapes - Cartwheel, Passport, Sky Map - retain them.

It could be psychological, but the Oreo update makes the phone a little bit snappier. I haven't noticed much else different, but that may be because I kept my Nova settings as the default.

While the 5G+ is a decent phone, I'll be upgrading soon because I've been having two big problems with it. First, the known issue with the camera. More often than not the app will get an error when you open it. Unless it is right after a reboot, it takes several tries after closing all other apps to get it to work. Sometimes MANY tries. (And cross your fingers if you want to use it in an app that utilizes the camera, such as for a bar code scanner.) I just want a camera to open in one try. Next I've been having GPS issues. It's a crapshoot as to whether apps like Instagram or Untapped will be able to identify my location. Not a dire problem, but still annoying and frequent.

So I'm done with Moto. I'm eyeing the Nokia 7.1. The 8.1 looks really nice with a better camera, but I haven't heard anything about a US release. Those phones being a part of Android One definitely make them more attractive. Though I'll never pay crazy flagship prices, I'd be willing to splurge for a OnePlus or Pixel 3 Lite, but lack of a headphone jack AND SD card slot are dealbreakers. I'm still researching my options.
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...