DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-08-16, 01:37 PM   #5751
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Couple questions I'm hoping a seasoned android user can help with. I have more but this is all I can think of at the moment.

1. Apparently you can't sync FB friends to contacts anymore (sounds like a FB thing)? People who i didn't already have created as a Google contact are not showing; do I have to create each contact from scratch and manually add things like contact pictures and whatnot?

2. I added Outlook for work which is great. But now every person I've emailed for work is showing up in the phone. I set the Contacts app to only show Google contacts but even when I'm typing a text, it will try to auto-fill to random email addresses for someone I may have spoken with once at work years ago. Any way I can get around this? I'd prefer if nothing work (Outlook/exchange account) related shows up outside of the Outlook and Calendar apps.

3. I have one Contact who is in Google but doesn't show up in my phone. Any cause for this I can fix? Edit: Fixed this one. Went to Contacts on my PC, made a small change to the person and re-saved. After that, turning Sync Off/On on my phone brought the contact in.

Last edited by Noonan; 09-08-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 02:42 PM   #5752
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Performance is pretty comparable, but it will throttle when it gets warm though constant heavy usage. Gpu probably isn't as good. Camera, pretty close. Fingerprint scanner is very good, could never get Note 4 fps to work well.

Another phone that I would suggest would be the zte Zmax pro. It is $40 with port in and one month service (min $30).I unlocked it for $12. The Zmax pro runs cool, unlike the Moto g4 which always seemed to run a little warm.
That zte is mighty tempting, but have I zero desire to jump through hoops of any kind (cause I'm super lazy like that). The Zmax pro is probably the best quality : price phone on the market right now.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem

Last edited by orangecrush; 09-08-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 02:46 PM   #5753
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Couple questions I'm hoping a seasoned android user can help with. I have more but this is all I can think of at the moment.

1. Apparently you can't sync FB friends to contacts anymore (sounds like a FB thing)? People who i didn't already have created as a Google contact are not showing; do I have to create each contact from scratch and manually add things like contact pictures and whatnot?
The app Sync.me will sync FB friends to your contacts:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yncmeapp&hl=en
https://www.facebook.com/help/commun...51382633416172
Old 09-08-16, 03:59 PM   #5754
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
That zte is mighty tempting, but have I zero desire to jump through hoops of any kind (cause I'm super lazy like that). The Zmax pro is probably the best quality : price phone on the market right now.
You can buy an unlocked one on Swappa for $140 (the listing says 145,but the seller commented saying that he would do 140).

Ebay, I did a search and did see one sell for 120, one for 123,but most were 140 or higher.

Moto g4 plus 64gb /4gb has 4gb ram but doesn't seem optimized... I always had 1.5-2gb free.

Speaking personally, I liked using the zte more, that and I was getting 10 hours SOT on wifi (moto g4 plus was around 6 hours). The zte screen is also 2.5d glass and looks very nice... But you won't be able to get a tempered glass screen protector installed without a halo.

Also.. The zte is pretty large at 6", think nexus 6 size .

Both have fps,Moto in front ,zte in rear.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 09-08-16 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 09:10 AM   #5755
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
You can buy an unlocked one on Swappa for $140 (the listing says 145,but the seller commented saying that he would do 140).

Ebay, I did a search and did see one sell for 120, one for 123,but most were 140 or higher.

Moto g4 plus 64gb /4gb has 4gb ram but doesn't seem optimized... I always had 1.5-2gb free.

Speaking personally, I liked using the zte more, that and I was getting 10 hours SOT on wifi (moto g4 plus was around 6 hours). The zte screen is also 2.5d glass and looks very nice... But you won't be able to get a tempered glass screen protector installed without a halo.

Also.. The zte is pretty large at 6", think nexus 6 size .

Both have fps,Moto in front ,zte in rear.
You are such a temptress. I might just go that route. Thanks for the info.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 09-09-16, 03:28 PM   #5756
DVD Talk Hero

Zte Zmax 2. If you are looking for an android in the $50 price range then this is it. Usable specs at 5.5" 720p, s410, 2gb ram, 16gb internal. Note that it is on Android 5.1 lollipop,and probably wouldn't be updated
http://slickdeals.net/f/9092323-best...si_v2_14390365
Old 09-14-16, 07:53 PM   #5757
DVD Talk Hero

Zte Zmax pro $277

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FUF1EL8
Old 09-16-16, 07:34 PM   #5758
DVD Talk Ruler

So I'm going on vacation on the 20th. I heard replacements for my Note 7 will come out on the 21's. Dammit! Guess I'll be taking my Note 4 I'd take my Note 7 anyhow but it's been banned from the airline and .. just probably not worth the risk.
Old 09-17-16, 11:48 AM   #5759
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$20 off any $200+ cell phone on eBay using promo code CELLPHONES0916 at checkout. Valid for two uses per account until 9/22/16. One of the more popular uses on Slickdeals seems to be the brand new unlocked 64GB OnePlus 2 A2005 for $219.99 after discount.
Old 09-19-16, 05:12 PM   #5760
DVD Talk God

Pixel and Pixel XL to be Verizon exclusives? http://phandroid.com/2016/09/19/pixe...zon-exclusive/

That's not good news, imho, even though I'm a Verizon customer.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-19-16, 05:44 PM   #5761
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Pixel and Pixel XL to be Verizon exclusives? http://phandroid.com/2016/09/19/pixe...zon-exclusive/

That's not good news, imho, even though I'm a Verizon customer.
That sounds terrible, although from the article it sounds like it just be Verizon being a carrier partner but still sold direct from Google. As someone looking to get the Pixel, that would be stupid as hell to make it Verizon only.

Also, the note on the price rumors sounds terrible too.

EDIT: This update on Android Police (who have been really good at the latest Nexus/Pixel news) seems to acknowledge it will still be sold from Google and it's just Verizon store exclusive as far as retail stores go.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...ill-available/

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-19-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:53 PM   #5762
DVD Talk Godfather

Teaser site is up for the Pixel phones.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...hone-allusion/

I really hope its cheaper then the $649 for the regular version, although if there are financing plans that softens the blow for me.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-20-16, 10:34 AM   #5763
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am due for an upgrade. I am trying to decide between the Galaxy 7 Edge or the LG G5. I had a Galaxy S3 previously and currently have an LG G3 which I love so I am having trouble deciding which one to get. They both seem to have excellent reviews are are considered 2 of the best phones out this year but does anyone here have a personal experience with either that will help me lean one way or the other?
Old 09-20-16, 12:00 PM   #5764
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I am due for an upgrade. I am trying to decide between the Galaxy 7 Edge or the LG G5. I had a Galaxy S3 previously and currently have an LG G3 which I love so I am having trouble deciding which one to get. They both seem to have excellent reviews are are considered 2 of the best phones out this year but does anyone here have a personal experience with either that will help me lean one way or the other?
I had an LG G3 previously and didn't like that it tended to get warm even in idle, and battery life was poor. I don't know if the G5 has a similar problem.

A lot of the differences between the G5 and S7 Edge come down to personal preferences, but I think the more objective differences are:

- Removable battery on the G5, not on the S7 Edge.

- Water/dust resistance on the S7 Edge, not on G5.

- Modular design on the G5, so if you are into that kind of thing, you can plug various modules like a better camera or speaker into the bottom of the phone. That is also how you swap out the battery. That on paper sounds interesting, but it's something I would probably never use, and it does degrade fit and finish significantly.
Old 09-20-16, 01:59 PM   #5765
DVD Talk Hero

Why not the note 7?
Old 09-20-16, 02:39 PM   #5766
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Why not the note 7?
Old 09-20-16, 03:50 PM   #5767
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The ones being sold now are fixed.

Also the cause of the jeep fire has been determined to be undetermined
Old 09-20-16, 04:01 PM   #5768
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What D.Pham said.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016...explosion.html

Quote:
After a thorough investigation which ended yesterday, the St. Petersburg Fire Rescue announced that its investigators failed to find any link between the phablet which was left charging plugged into the vehicle’s cigarette lighter socket and the fire which occurred shortly after.

In an in-depth report which was also made public, the fire investigator in charge of the case stated that he had to classify the fire as “undetermined” due to its destructive nature which consequently made eliminating multiple other possibilities regarding the ignition source impossible.
Old 09-20-16, 07:28 PM   #5769
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone know why my Android Moto X would use 500 MB of data for "Weather and Clock Widget" in one night?

It's been bouncing off and on WiFi recently which has been annoying enough, then to use half my data allotment in one night - on an app I don't even care about.
Old 09-22-16, 04:14 PM   #5770
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I had an LG G3 previously and didn't like that it tended to get warm even in idle, and battery life was poor. I don't know if the G5 has a similar problem.

A lot of the differences between the G5 and S7 Edge come down to personal preferences, but I think the more objective differences are:

- Removable battery on the G5, not on the S7 Edge.

- Water/dust resistance on the S7 Edge, not on G5.

- Modular design on the G5, so if you are into that kind of thing, you can plug various modules like a better camera or speaker into the bottom of the phone. That is also how you swap out the battery. That on paper sounds interesting, but it's something I would probably never use, and it does degrade fit and finish significantly.
Thanks my LG G3 gets warm as well but I think that is due to the display. Same with the battery. Those issues aside I thought the LG was better then the Samsung overall but that may not be the case for the newer phones.

The removeable battery is a big thing for me. I was excited about the modular design at first on the LG G5 but the one module I was excited about isnt available for the US versions and wont be. So that is a useless feature to me.

Seems almost like a coin flip.
Old 09-22-16, 04:16 PM   #5771
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Why not the note 7?
Aside from the recall and issues, I have never been a fan of the Note series. Just a big too big.
Old 09-22-16, 04:53 PM   #5772
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Aside from the recall and issues, I have never been a fan of the Note series. Just a big too big.
The Note 7 is narrower and thinner than your g3 now.it is a little taller though. The Note 7 is as wide as the g5
Old 09-22-16, 04:55 PM   #5773
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
Anyone know why my Android Moto X would use 500 MB of data for "Weather and Clock Widget" in one night?

It's been bouncing off and on WiFi recently which has been annoying enough, then to use half my data allotment in one night - on an app I don't even care about.
Sounds like the app went rogue for some reason.can you disable it?

If you still want to use it,I would try to clear cache and app data on it.you can also restrict background data on it,though if you did that then the widget wouldn't update unless on wifi
Old 09-22-16, 05:11 PM   #5774
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
The Note 7 is narrower and thinner than your g3 now.it is a little taller though. The Note 7 is as wide as the g5
But taller by a good bit. It wouldn't fit unobtrusively in my front shirt pocket as my G3 is already at the top of the pocket pretty much. This is a requirement for me as we are not allowed to have cell phones visible at work.
Old 09-23-16, 06:27 PM   #5775
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon has $200 off Androids for select accounts . Use code "200and". Works on the note 7,so you can return it for a full refund then buy using this promotion.

You can also get the Droid z play for $208. Or any other Android priced above $200.