Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The one and only ANDROID thread....

Old 11-25-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
So I got an invite for one of these One-Plus android phones.

What can you guys tell me about them - is there anything special about them that puts them up there with Galaxys and iPhones?
The main thing is value, the amount of phone features you get for the price. For example, the 64GB version is $350, while an off-contract 64GB iPhone 6 would cost $750. The Galaxy S5 only has 32GB built-in, but does have a micro-SD slot that can take up to a 128GB card.

You can compare the specs between the 3 here:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...8603,8346,8202

Or read comparative reviews, like here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...articleContent

I opted not to pursue a OnePlus One mainly because it can't use the T-Mobile LTE bands.
Old 11-25-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I opted not to pursue a OnePlus One mainly because it can't use the T-Mobile LTE bands.
Yes, it can, albeit not all of them; however, I never had a problem with my OnePlus and TMo's LTE.

As for the phone, I liked it quite a bit. It was well built, very snappy & an all around solid device. Cyanogen had some quirks here and there, but they never really presented a problem for me and the developers were generally pretty quick to fix significant issues. Plus, pretty much all ROMs have their quirks. The biggest problem I've seen is OnePlus' customer service - it's pretty terrible since it's still a small company. But, provided you don't get a lemon I feel it's a no-brainer for $350. Since it's still limited to invitation only, if you don't like it you can always flip it on eBay and probably make at least a $50 profit.
Old 11-25-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It just doesn't support the newer 700 MHZ band, which is fairly limited at the moment right? Versus the typical 1700/2100 band that T-Mobile uses for the rest of their LTE network?
Old 11-26-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It just doesn't support the newer 700 MHZ band, which is fairly limited at the moment right? Versus the typical 1700/2100 band that T-Mobile uses for the rest of their LTE network?
If you are referring to tmobile 700MHz (Band 12), it doesn't have it.
Old 11-26-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not sure what else I could be referring to in the context of the discussion.
Old 11-26-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure what else I could be referring to in the context of the discussion.
Ah ok. Just so you know it doesn't support band 2 lte either, which tmobile claims 50% completion this year.
Old 11-26-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It just doesn't support the newer 700 MHZ band, which is fairly limited at the moment right?
Correct. Most 2014 phones, even T-Mobile-specific ones, don't have it, either.
Old 11-26-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main thing is value, the amount of phone features you get for the price. For example, the 64GB version is $350, while an off-contract 64GB iPhone 6 would cost $750. The Galaxy S5 only has 32GB built-in, but does have a micro-SD slot that can take up to a 128GB card.

You can compare the specs between the 3 here:
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...8603,8346,8202

Or read comparative reviews, like here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...articleContent

There are sales coming up - cricket s5 for $295; Moto X 2014 unlocked for $359.
Old 12-01-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a Google Calendar bug that I've been dealing with since I got the latest version (5.0-1579230):

I don't get notification for any calendar events that have the same start and end time. In other words, if I add an event called "Get milk" for 7 pm ending at 7 pm and add any reminder for this event, Calendar does not give a notification in my notification area at 7 pm. All previous Calendar versions have worked just fine for this purpose. The majority of the events in my calendar are zero minutes and are just there so I can get notified to do stuff at the right time.

Also of note is that the latest Calendar seems not to actually set the end time when you make it the same as the start time. I can set a 0-minute event either online or on my phone, but the end time is no longer there when I view it on the phone. It's there on the web, however.

Anyone run into this one? I missed several notifications before I realized I had missed any. Fun! Then it took me a couple days of thinking and experimenting to figure out the cause. Still better than the Google engineer who missed this bug, I guess. I did use the bug reporting function via Help in the phone app to try to get it fixed.

Currently, my solution is to go through my phone and make all events 5 minutes or 15 minutes long. I have lots of recurring events, so no problem doing those. But I have plenty of one-time stuff throughout at least the next several months. I'm hoping for a solution before I either get burned again or have to manually go through every day for the next year or so and make sure I don't have any 0-minute events.

Of course, yet another option would be to use a different Calendar app. I like the Google one other than this shitshow.
Old 12-10-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

There is a soak test for lollipop on the Droid turbo but I have yet to get a notification.
Old 12-10-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as you're signed up, odds are you'll wind up in it sometime soon. That's the way it was with the Razr Maxx at least.
Old 12-10-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, i signed up shortly after the soak test went live on the moto site.
Old 12-12-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got updated to lollipop.

There's no more silent mode. I used to be able to turn the ringer volume all the way down to "vibrate" then turn it down once more to silent. I could have my phone on my desk and it wouldn't make a sound, but I could see the display turn on for an incoming call. You can turn off notifications to enter silent mode, but that turns off ALL notifications.

I hope they fix this.
Old 12-12-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which device?
Old 12-12-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Which device?
Moto G
Old 12-12-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
Moto G
Did you try Method 2 on this page?
http://allaboutmotog.com/moto-g-how-...and-ringtones/
Old 12-12-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Method 2 works in KitKat.

Lollipop takes silent mode away. It replaces that with another features that stops all notifications. You won't hear your phone ring/vibrate for calls or texts, but also alarms. And you won't even see your phone display turn on for incoming calls or texts.

There are times that's useful. There are times I want my phone on, but I don't want any incoming notifications.

But there are times I want to have my phone sitting on my desk and I can visually see whether or not there's an incoming call, but the phone doesn't make any noise. That seems to be a thing of the past in Android 5.0.
Old 12-12-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
There is a soak test for lollipop on the Droid turbo but I have yet to get a notification.
I got all excited at the new update today thinking it was Lollipop. Nope. But now Phone/Data simultaneous works properly.
Old 12-12-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I hated that change on my Nexus 4 as well.
Old 12-12-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

I got all excited at the new update today thinking it was Lollipop. Nope. But now Phone/Data simultaneous works properly.
I didn't get that update automatically, so I just did the force push. Glad that's one less thing to hate this phone. Several times I've had to look something up when talking on the phone and it wouldn't work. Now it does!
Old 12-12-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How is volte?
Old 12-12-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

fyi, if you downloaded the volte update for the droid turbo, you have to manually enable volte in the settings menu. it takes you to to the verizon site to enable the feature.
Old 12-12-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got updated to lollipop.

There's no more silent mode. I used to be able to turn the ringer volume all the way down to "vibrate" then turn it down once more to silent. I could have my phone on my desk and it wouldn't make a sound, but I could see the display turn on for an incoming call. You can turn off notifications to enter silent mode, but that turns off ALL notifications.

I hope they fix this.
Unfortunately that is by design from Google. I don't know why. There were articles about it a few weeks ago. I hope the non vanilla versions drop it.
Old 12-12-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thing about Lollipop:

The power control widget is also now a thing of the past:

Old 12-12-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another thing about Lollipop:

The power control widget is also now a thing of the past:

It's weird that they got rid of it, but makes sense since it was already built in to the notification bar with Kit Kat. I more hate that they made it two swipes to get to it in Lollipop.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.