Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-10, 07:07 PM   #251
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
How fat does it make the Vibrant? I was thinking about a case, but I really like how thin and light it is and i'm thinking a case will make it a lot thicker.
It's thicker for sure. It still fits in my pocket ok. But at least if it gets dropped it will be safe. I just opened the box at the store and tried the fit first. The gel/rubber material is somewhat of a lint magnet though.
Old 07-26-10, 01:19 PM   #252
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone with the Samsung Captivate, AT&T/Samsung is starting to push out a fix for the GPS issue:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-cap...ushed-out.html
Old 07-26-10, 01:23 PM   #253
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
For anyone with the Samsung Captivate, AT&T/Samsung is starting to push out a fix for the GPS issue:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-cap...ushed-out.html
I wonder if that's the same for T-Mobile. I haven't really had any GPS issues with mine, but XDA forums seem to have plenty of folks complaining.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-26-10, 01:39 PM   #254
DVD Talk Legend

I only check the Captivate-specific forums, but I would expect all the Galaxy S phones will be getting the fix.
Old 07-26-10, 10:58 PM   #255
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Vibrant does have trouble locking on to satellites.
Old 07-27-10, 12:45 PM   #256
DVD Talk Legend

This is kinda interesting: KMart has a 2.1 Android powered 7" tablet on sale this week for $149. It's from a company I've never heard of. You can't order it online, it's only available in stores.
http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/def...id=-2086512612

http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENTOUCH.html

Product Features

• 800x480 color TFT touch panel screen
• CPU: 800 Mhz
• Ram: DDR2 256mb
• Internal Memory: 2GB
• Expansion Slots: SD/MMC card slot up to 16GB
• Wi-Fi Connectivity with Full Web Browsing Capability
• Supports Ebook Formats: Text, PDF, E-PUB, HTML
• Supports Media Formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC
• Supports most popular E-Book formats
• Picture Viewer in JPEG, BMP
• Video Player
• Rechargeable Lithium Battery
• Carrying case included

Last edited by Chew; 08-02-10 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 04:41 PM   #257
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
This is kinda interesting: KMart has a 2.1 Android powered 7" tablet on sale this week for $149. It's from a company I've never heard of. You can't order it online, it's only available in stores.
http://kmart.shoplocal.com/kmart/def...id=-2086512612

http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENTOUCH.html

Product Features

800x480 color TFT touch panel screen
CPU: 800 Mhz
Ram: DDR2 256mb
Internal Memory: 2GB
Expansion Slots: SD/MMC card slot up to 16GB
Wi-Fi Connectivity with Full Web Browsing Capability
Supports Ebook Formats: Text, PDF, E-PUB, HTML
Supports Media Formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC
Supports most popular E-Book formats
Picture Viewer in JPEG, BMP
Video Player
Rechargeable Lithium Battery
Carrying case included
Isn't 256mb less memory than most of the higher end Android phones that are coming out (don't they have 512mb)? Unless there is that much of a memory savings from not having to include "phone features" I'm a bit skeptical that it would run well.
Old 07-27-10, 05:20 PM   #258
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post
Isn't 256mb less memory than most of the higher end Android phones that are coming out (don't they have 512mb)? Unless there is that much of a memory savings from not having to include "phone features" I'm a bit skeptical that it would run well.
The current higher end Android phones (e.g. Droid X, Nexus One, Galaxy S, etc.) typically have 512MB of RAM, as does the iPhone 4. However, the Motorola Droid, iPhone 3GS and, most importantly, the iPad have only 256MB RAM.

http://www.9to5mac.com/ipad-256mb-ra...sor-4493093592

Also, the processor for this tablet is 800Mhz, while the iPhone 4, iPad, and higher end Android phones have 1Ghz processors. However, the iPhone 3GS runs a 833 Mhz chip underclocked to 600 Mhz, and the Motorola Droid has 500Mhz underclocked to 450Mhz.

Finally, the iPad, iPhone 4, and higher end Android phones all retail for $500 or more. This tablet is running slightly older tech, but at a significantly lower price.
Old 07-27-10, 07:09 PM   #259
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok so I finally had a chance to go out and try to play with the 3 phones I'm considering in person (Evo 4G, Droid X, and Droid Incredible).

Sadly, nobody had a live unit of the Evo 4G but I was able to find a dummy one to at least hold and compare to the size of my 3GS. Here are my quick takes, I'm hoping you guys can helpsteer me in the right direction because I'm pretty much stuck between two choices.

Droid Incredible-Overall size was nice, but the screen seem cramped and the buttons were tiny and the trackpad didn't seem needed. I did like the HTC sense UI quite a bit though and I liked that the volume rocker was on the left side unlike the Droid X. Menus and scrolling were a bit less responsive than my iPhone 3GS.

Droid X-Size wasn't bad but the narrowness of the screen (in portrait mode) seemed strange. The
widgets and overall interface were nice but not as attractive as the Incredible. The physical buttons were great and easy to push and the overall unit felt nice and solid. Menus were a bit less responsive than my iPhone 3GS.

Evo 4G-Well just from the dummy model it felt nice in my hand, the buttons seemed well sized (compared to the Incredible) and the kickstand and back plate were nicely constructed (the soft touch plastic was a plus). My concern is battery life though, usually with my 3GS at the end of a work day I end up with between 30-60% left depending on use. I'm not in 4G area and don't use bluetooth often so I'd turn those off via widgets. I wish I would have had a chance to play with a real unit perhaps I'll try another Sprint store later this week.

So it certainly feels like it's down to Evo or Droid X for me. I've had Sprint before (04-06) and other than the customer service being lacking and once early on running into a "all circuits busy" when trying to make a call, I had a good experience with them and borrowing a company Sprint card for a few days proved the signal at my house (where I didn't live when I had Sprint before) is strong. The $10 Evo fee is annoying but I'd be saving $5 off my monthly AT&T plan since I'd already have unlimited texts vs 200 (plus I get a 20% corp discount though my discount with AT&T is 23%). Also I hear the 3g Hotspot with the Evo is unlimited (though not certain). I probably wouldn't use this often if at all, but since I work from home it'd be nice to have if my cable were to go out for a prolonged period of time.

Verizon I'd used before that as a prepaid account and also didn't really run into any issues. Data speed on both Droid models via 3G seemed good when I tried it tonight. I also get a 20% corp discount with VZW.

I'd love to hear your thoughts I'm usually able to decide on things pretty easily but I'm stumped on this one.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 07-27-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 09:25 PM   #260
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11 View Post

I'd love to hear your thoughts I'm usually able to decide on things pretty easily but I'm stumped on this one.
I can only post about the EVO since I have not extensively used the DroidX.

Battery life is a hard one. Some people report great battery life and others have short life. My battery life is somewhere in between. I leave facebook, engadget, news syncing all day, plus my email is instantly forwarded to my phone. These things I refuse to give up for longer battery. There are several tips and tricks out there to maximize battery life, some work better than others. I personally bought 2 batteries and a charger off of ebay (from china) for $12. I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life of the Chinese versions as I seem to get close to OEM life. The charger the batteries came with is a little slow, but does a great job as well.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be rooting your phone. The Evo can have custom ROMs while the X cannot. On the EVO there is MASSIVE improvements made by flasing Roms. The FPS cap is lifted with custom kernels. There are some Roms that are amazing on battery life, and my favorite Rom (cyanogen) is a working version of 2.2 (froyo without sense) with all kinds of goodies baked in. There are also Roms with froyo that have sense as well.

Just a heads up though officially the wifi hotspot in NOT free on Sprint. It is a $30 additional charge. But if you root that feature is also free through the wireless tether app in the market place.
Old 07-27-10, 09:45 PM   #261
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
I can only post about the EVO since I have not extensively used the DroidX.

Battery life is a hard one. Some people report great battery life and others have short life. My battery life is somewhere in between. I leave facebook, engadget, news syncing all day, plus my email is instantly forwarded to my phone. These things I refuse to give up for longer battery. There are several tips and tricks out there to maximize battery life, some work better than others. I personally bought 2 batteries and a charger off of ebay (from china) for $12. I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life of the Chinese versions as I seem to get close to OEM life. The charger the batteries came with is a little slow, but does a great job as well.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you will be rooting your phone. The Evo can have custom ROMs while the X cannot. On the EVO there is MASSIVE improvements made by flasing Roms. The FPS cap is lifted with custom kernels. There are some Roms that are amazing on battery life, and my favorite Rom (cyanogen) is a working version of 2.2 (froyo without sense) with all kinds of goodies baked in. There are also Roms with froyo that have sense as well.

Just a heads up though officially the wifi hotspot in NOT free on Sprint. It is a $30 additional charge. But if you root that feature is also free through the wireless tether app in the market place.
Thanks for the input. Yes I am aware that the 3G hotspot is $30 but from what I'm told there is no bandwidth cap when using it which is what I meant about the unlimited aspect.

I probably won't root it but who knows. I think after thinking about it for a while, the Evo is probably going to be the way to go for me.

It's got HTC Sense which I like (and coming from an iPhone it appears to make some things a bit easier to do) and a form factor that I'm comfortable with (unlike the Incredible which just felt too cramped). I also like that Sprint doesn't charge extra for visual voicemail (I know I could use Google Voice for free too but it's nice to have a free official carrier option).

I'm going to do some research on battery life, it seems like at this point that's really the only thing holding me from the Evo.

Assuming I do go that way, I'll probably order the phone online through my company's Sprint URL. Does anyone know if I can get a new number initially, and then assuming I want to stick with Sprint and cancel AT&T, port my existing number to my account? That way if I decide I did want to keep AT&T for some reason during the 30 day trial of Sprint, it wouldn't be as much of a paint to switch everything back.

I also just realized the Evo only comes with an 8gb SD card while the Droid X and Incredible come with 16gb. Not a big deal but since I have a 16gb iPhone that'd be another thing I'd have to pickup. Any ideas what a 16gb card goes for online?

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 07-28-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 10:50 AM   #262
DVD Talk Legend

What's everyone's opinion on Task Killers? I had it installed for the first week on my Captivate, thinking it would free up memory and make the phone work a little better. After reading an article this morning that said Task Killers actually hurt more than help, I uninstalled. It seems to work a little better since doing so.
Old 07-29-10, 01:01 PM   #263
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^
I pretty much did the same. Ran it for about a week, and didn't feel that there was any sort of improvement. So I deleted it.
Old 07-29-10, 01:39 PM   #264
DVD Talk Godfather

Same here. This was my first Android phone so I downloaded Advanced Task Killer thinking it was necessary, and then read a few days ago that they were unnecessary on Android. I've uninstalled it and everything seems the same.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-30-10, 09:14 AM   #265
DVD Talk Legend

I guess coming from an iPhone, I always though jailbreaking/rooting your phone was at the very least "frowned upon" by the manufacturer.

Today, Samsung released the code for the Captivate. From this article, it almost seems like you're encouraged to root your phone?
Old 07-30-10, 09:29 AM   #266
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a task killer. Usually I open it a couple times a day and there's a few things running that I have to kill. Haven't tested much with it uninstalled to see if there's much of a difference.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 07-30-10, 10:21 AM   #267
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

So I rooted my Nexus One yesterday and installed the Cyanogen rom. Liking it so far, but I can't seem to get the "Black Bar" mod to work. I hate the white task bar.
Old 07-30-10, 10:52 AM   #268
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I guess coming from an iPhone, I always though jailbreaking/rooting your phone was at the very least "frowned upon" by the manufacturer.

Today, Samsung released the code for the Captivate. From this article, it almost seems like you're encouraged to root your phone?
I don't think rooting is universally frowned upon by phone manufacturers. It just depends on the manufacturer's business model. Apple's approach is to maintain total control of the "iPhone ecosystem" so that there's a certain standard and consistency associated with the iPhone brand. Jailbreaking obviously runs counter to that model.

On the other hand, the companies that are part of the Open Handset Alliance (yep, Samsung is a member) follow a different business model entirely. When a manufacturer chooses an OS whose entire source code is readily available to everyone, frowning upon rooting is not a very tenable position. (That's exactly why Motorola has some explaining to do with the Droid X).
Old 07-30-10, 12:06 PM   #269
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Android is built upon the Linux kernel, which is licensed under GPL, which requires the release of any source code modifications to it. There may be other parts of Android that are also GPL. So if they made certain modifications, some of which may be necessary to get Android to run on new hardware, the manufacturers have to release the code for those modifications.

This doesn't mean that Samsung released the full source code for their version of Android. just for some core functionality.

http://projectgus.com/2010/07/open-s...droid-tablets/

In regards to rooting, the reason rooting exists is because manufacturers don't give the users root access by default. This prevents users from being able to access certain features, as well as prevents custom ROMS from being installed. Getting root access requires finding and exploiting some security hole in that particular version of Android. Manufacturers have taken steps to close such security holes, such as HTC with the G1.

If you root your phone, you can void the warranty. If you load a custom ROM, you definitely void the warranty.

Note that Motorola has released certain source code for the Droid X. However, the hardware "eFuse" technology Motorola put in the phone is for the explicit purpose of denying any unsigned custom ROMs from running on the hardware:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...id-x-code.html
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/m...sy-says-efuse/

So, no, releasing some source code for the phone doesn't mean the manufacturer is encouraging rooting it.
Old 07-30-10, 12:31 PM   #270
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been playing around with the Stitcher app for podcasts. I like being able to stream my podcasts instead of syncing my Zune at home all the time. They don't have all the podcasts I subscribe to but they do have Adam Corolla, Joe Rogan and Kevin Smith. Check it out.
Old 07-30-10, 12:36 PM   #271
DVD Talk Legend

Is it better than Listen?

There's a couple local podcasts I listen to I doubt will be included and it doesn't sound like you can enter URLs with Stitcher.
Old 07-30-10, 10:55 PM   #272
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Question for Android users. Do any of you use Google Voice on there? And if so, how does it work on there. Are you able to send "free" texts through the app? And can you make calls from the app like you do from the website?

Drav3n's Bluray Collection | PS3 Trophies
Old 07-30-10, 11:05 PM   #273
Time Lord

I use Google Voice. You can send and receive texts, and even have calls go to your Google Voice voicemail. When you set it up, it asks if you want to never use Google Voice for calls, only use Google Voice for calls, or ask every time you make a call (I have the latter as my option). It's well integrated into the structure of the phone OS.
Old 07-30-10, 11:47 PM   #274
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I use Google Voice. You can send and receive texts, and even have calls go to your Google Voice voicemail. When you set it up, it asks if you want to never use Google Voice for calls, only use Google Voice for calls, or ask every time you make a call (I have the latter as my option). It's well integrated into the structure of the phone OS.
You have the Evo right? How do you like the Google Voicemail vs the Sprint Visual Voicemail? I don't really have any interest in doing the whole google voice thing other than perhaps for the visual/transcribed VM but since Sprint doesn't charge for it (unlike Verizon) I'll probably just use that if it functions at all like it does on my iPhone.
Old 07-31-10, 01:48 AM   #275
Time Lord

I don't use the Sprint VM because I prefer Google Voice. I've also wiped all Sprint software off my phone.