Reload this Page >

SDHC Weirdness - Help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SDHC Weirdness - Help!

Old 01-05-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SDHC Weirdness - Help!

I just bought a 16GB Micro SDHC card for my Sansa e280 to allow me to carry/view ripped videos for long flights. (Note: the e280 does not support higher capacity cards, but I'm running Rockbox which goes up to 16GB.)

When inserted into my player, it was not detected. I pulled it out, used the included Micro adapter (to allow me to shove it into a standard SD slot) and popped it into a HC-compatible USB reader. It reported that the card had 16GB. Great. I copied about a GB of data over to it, then tried to create a folder when I got this error:

Cannot create new folder - Invalid argument

Great.

I checked the card. There was 971MB of data on it. Couldn't write anything beyond that, eveh though it was still reporting a total capacity of 16GB. The "Invalid argument" error is indicative of a hosed-up file system, so I opted to just reformat the new card (FAT32 of course) and start over.

Dumb mistake. Because now the card is reporting that is only has a capacity of 1GB. When I attempt to re-reformat it in Windows, the only capacity option I get in the format dialog box pull-down is 971MB. 971, of course, matches the amount of data I wrote to the card initially. I don't know whether that first format just overwrote the existing data and ignored the rest of the card, or (more likely) if for some reason the OS could only "see" 971MB and everything has been constrained to fit within that space.

My netbook (Win XP SP3) can see normal SDHC cards just fine. I have a 16GB card I use all the time for storage. When I stick the 16GB Micro SDHC card in a USB reader, it reports 1MB. When I stick the regular-sized 16GB SDHC card in the same USB reader, it reports 16MB... so the reader seems fine. Sticking a 2GB Micro SDHC card in the USB reader works, too. So my issue right now seems to be that the 16GB Micro card "thinks" it's a 1GB card now - likely due to my first format attempt.

What I would like to try is another format - but one that would force the card to format all 16GB. Any clues how to go about that? Win XP, DOS, Linux? Any other obvious things I should try?
Old 01-05-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: SDHC Weirdness - Help!

PS - I checked the Micro card via the Disk Management tool, and it's showing as having ONE 1GB partition on it. If formatting isn't the answer, is there an fdisk (or equivalent) command that would force the full 16GB to be visible once again?
Old 01-05-10, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where'd you get the card from? There are shady dealers out there who buy low-capacity cards, modify the partition table to make them look bigger, and advertise them under that fake capacity (a lot of times as counterfeits of reputable companies like Sandisk). Not saying it's necessarily what happened to you -- but it does match all of the symptoms you're seeing.
Old 01-05-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm voting a fake card. Had a ms duo that was fake that did similiar things.

Recomend you also download the panasonic sd format tool. It's free and gives a compliant format to the sd spec.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
Old 01-06-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fear you two may be right. The card looks like a SanDisk Class 2 16GB microSDHC (model # SDSDQY-016G-A11M) but looking carefully at the front side, it appears that it may be a fake.

Here's what a Stock card should look like (left) next to what I got (right):

Source: http://www.sandisk.com/products/mobi...disk-microsdhc

See how the "o" in Micro is clipped?

Originally Posted by GHackmann
Where'd you get the card from?
Ebay. China. Ugh.

I'll D/L the Panasonic tool tonight and give that a whirl, but looks like time to go file a "fake product" claim with eBay and PayPal.
Old 01-06-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a confirmed counterfeit. Rock on!

Well, it was purchased via eBay and PayPal, and is eligible for full Buyer Protection. I've opened a case at eBay, we'll see how well their "Protection" actually works.

GH, cseyer..... Thanks for your help!