Reload this Page >

School me on a new laptop in the $700 range

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-04-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I had a Dell Studio 1737, selling it to a friend, and getting something different. I thought maybe I could get a laptop with a Blu-Ray drive in it, but I am not sure.

I don't need anything flashy, just a good amount of RAM, a dedicated video card if possible, and Windows 7. Don't really mind which brand it is, as long as it's not Dell. I'd prefer one that had wireless N as well. Bluetooth would be nice but not a deal breaker.

What's the best place to buy? Best Buy? Costco? Amazon? Newegg?
Old 01-05-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: School me on a new laptop in the $700 range

Why did you sell the Studio? I ask because I'm about to receive my third one, and this computer has been such a piece of shit that I am probably done with Dell forever. The overheating issues were massive. I can't lay this thing on a table and watch Hulu without the thing shutting off. I paid a disgusting amount, and I want nothing more than my money back, but it's way too late for that.
Old 01-05-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-635-_-Product

2.2GHz C2D, Dedicated ATI 4670 1gb videocard (big on that, solid card for a laptop), 320gb, 14"

Last edited by RichC2; 01-05-10 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

later this week or next week new laptops are coming out. new CPU's, etc
Old 01-05-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Why did you sell the Studio? I ask because I'm about to receive my third one, and this computer has been such a piece of shit that I am probably done with Dell forever. The overheating issues were massive. I can't lay this thing on a table and watch Hulu without the thing shutting off. I paid a disgusting amount, and I want nothing more than my money back, but it's way too late for that.
The touch pad is too sensitive, and the sound is awful. Way too choppy, and no fixes have helped. The thing feels cheaply made, too.
Old 01-05-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
later this week or next week new laptops are coming out. new CPU's, etc
Can you elaborate at all? I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. That's almost impossible with technology, especially for what I want to spend.

Oh and thanks for not recommending a Mac
Old 01-05-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-635-_-Product

2.2GHz C2D, Dedicated ATI 4670 1gb videocard (big on that, solid card for a laptop), 320gb, 14"
Well that's $800, and if I was going to pay that much, it'd better have Blu-Ray.
Old 01-05-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Can you elaborate at all? I'm not looking for the latest and greatest. That's almost impossible with technology, especially for what I want to spend.

Oh and thanks for not recommending a Mac

Intel just officially announced their 32nm CPU's yesterday although HP and a few others "leaked" new laptop models to Engadget over the weekend. not really news since back in late 2008 Intel said they were going to skip 45nm and go straight to 32nm circuits.

the new CPU's have Intel's crappy graphics chip on the same package as the CPU but HP and others will have Broadcom's Crystal HD chip that plays HD content in a $300 netbook next week. there is even a hack to add it to an Apple TV
Old 01-05-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
did you try cleaning the fan to get rid of dust? had the same issue in my HP laptop and getting rid of the dust made things a lot better
Old 01-05-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

did you try cleaning the fan to get rid of dust? had the same issue in my HP laptop and getting rid of the dust made things a lot better
Yup, definitely have. The thing just does not have good airflow.
Old 01-05-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

with Hulu and Flash in general you're going to have problems. as of now Adobe Flash is CPU intensive and Flash 10.1 that will support GPU acceleration is still in beta. With Hulu streaming HD content, it's going to send your CPU temperature spiking

i'm thinking about a MBP later this year, but i'm going to stop by an Apple store and hit it with some Flash before I buy just to see how it runs. Flash is known to be worse on OS X than Windows as well.
Old 01-05-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Well that's $800, and if I was going to pay that much, it'd better have Blu-Ray.
The $100 Rebate card is a Visa Pre-Paid which effectively makes it $699. Just saying.

There was a Sony Vaio for $650 with Blu-ray built in a few weeks ago, don't think it was dedicated graphics but keep an eye out for similar deals, especially with CES around the corner.

Intel just officially announced their 32nm CPU's yesterday although HP and a few others "leaked" new laptop models to Engadget over the weekend. not really news since back in late 2008 Intel said they were going to skip 45nm and go straight to 32nm circuits.

the new CPU's have Intel's crappy graphics chip on the same package as the CPU but HP and others will have Broadcom's Crystal HD chip that plays HD content in a $300 netbook next week. there is even a hack to add it to an Apple TV
The nvidia ION chipset has been able to play HD content for a while now. Guess the price point is a sweet one, though.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-05-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

too bad nvidia doesn't have a DMI license and is screwed for Intel's newer CPU's
Old 01-05-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so if I bought on Amazon, I could get free shipping and pay no tax. If I get it at Best Buy, I could try it out first, and get reward points. If I bought it at Costco/Sam's, I could possibly take it back if something is wrong later than other places.

My main hangup is the fact I want anything besides the standard Intel GMA. I don't want to play MW2 or L4D2 or anything, but it'd be nice if it ran WoW really well.

At this point, I have pretty much given up on Blu-Ray.

My other thing is I want something faster or equal than the current t6400 in the Dell I just sold. What is the AMD equivilant?

I know I am probably asking for two much for this to happen with a sub $700 machine.
Old 01-05-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...=9556296&st=hp laptop

For $699, not only do I get Blu-Ray, but a non Intel GMA video card.

My only concern is the processor, how is it? Oh and a review I checked said the sound was distorted when the volume was high. That may be a concern, too, since my Dell sounded like shit.

Also, is wireless N really necessary? I have an N router, and the Dell was N, but is G just as good?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do you have N speed internet service? otherwise it's a better protocol than G if you do a lot of file transfer
Old 01-06-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't do any file transfer.
Old 01-06-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had bad experiences with AMD chips overheating in laptops in the past, not sure if that has been fixed or not (I'm running a Phenom II X4 desktop and love it, but that speaks nothing of mobility chips.)

That said the CPU is solid, PassMark Score:
AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600 Score: 1525

It isn't a boatload faster than your previous processor ( Intel Core2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz Score: 1310 ) but it is faster. Wireless N is good if you plan on streaming HD, otherwise not a huge deal.

The ATI Radeon HD 4200 is still an Integrated video card so don't expect great gaming out of it, notebookcheck has World of Warcraft as playable on it in Low settings mode. I'm sure you'll manage though.

You could always go after: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1786256 if you really want, though the 230 may be a little overkill for your needs. ( http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...uters-_-365238 ) (T6600 PassMark score is 1564) Though that said, the monitor has a less than ideal resolution for a 16" laptop display (1366x768)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-06-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got the toshiba A505-S6980 and couldn't be happier
Old 01-06-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I've had bad experiences with AMD chips overheating in laptops in the past, not sure if that has been fixed or not (I'm running a Phenom II X4 desktop and love it, but that speaks nothing of mobility chips.)

That said the CPU is solid, PassMark Score:
AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600 Score: 1525

It isn't a boatload faster than your previous processor ( Intel Core2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00GHz Score: 1310 ) but it is faster. Wireless N is good if you plan on streaming HD, otherwise not a huge deal.

The ATI Radeon HD 4200 is still an Integrated video card so don't expect great gaming out of it, notebookcheck has World of Warcraft as playable on it in Low settings mode. I'm sure you'll manage though.

You could always go after: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1786256 if you really want, though the 230 may be a little overkill for your needs. ( http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...uters-_-365238 ) (T6600 PassMark score is 1564) Though that said, the monitor has a less than ideal resolution for a 16" laptop display (1366x768)
I've never had an AMD chip in a laptop before, and the funny thing is before my Dell, I owned a Toshiba. It lasted three years before it started acting funny. I wouldn't mind owning another one.

The thing is, the HP I linked does have the Blu-Ray, and the better resolution. It does cost a little more though.

I probably won't make a purchase until this weekend, so I am going to keep looking. If you see any other deals, please let me know.
Old 01-07-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up getting the HP I linked because it was on sale for $629. It's really nice, but Windows 7 is taking some getting used to.

I can definitely feel the heat from the AMD chip more than the old Intel chip.
Old 01-08-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

nice deal

new laptops came out this week and it looks like HP killed models with AMD CPU's and 17" screens
Old 01-08-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, when new stuff comes out, the older stuff gets cheaper

I love technology.

I'll probably keep this laptop for at least a year or two before I look into replacing it.
Old 01-08-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked this up for Christmas. So far it has been great. The battery life is awesome as well. I got the Logitech Anywhere MX to go with it. I also got a logitech portable lap desk N315 that has a slide out mouse pad. The mouse is awesome I have the Performance Mouse MX for my desktop.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...476&pCatg=5680

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...reg_R1002_USEN

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/no.../6073&cl=us,en

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/349/6135&cl=us,en
Old 01-09-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That looks pretty cool. Too bad it only works on laptops up to 15 inches. If there was a 17 inch one, I'd jump on it.

I looked at the 13 inch laptops, but they seemed too small for me. I guess I got spoiled with the large screen. Plus, I need my number pad.