Reload this Page >

I need a laptop. How's this one?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to click this thread.

My teenage son needs a laptop for school, flash games, Youtube, etc. He handed me $500 and said please. He will need it by the end of January, so there is a bit of time, but not much. I don't know much about them, and sites do more to confuse than help. With "cash back" I can get this one for $530. Bad idea? I'd expand the budget if it is worth it. Thanks.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...%20CX700-053US
Old 01-02-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: I need a laptop. How's this one?

for that price, you could get a major manufacturer with equivalent specs
probably would be OK for a desktop.. but on a laptop, its nice if you have a warranty you can trust

I dont know much about dealing with msi for warranty.. and tigerdirect is typically a nightmare for warranties.
Old 01-02-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

a quick look around bensbargains.net, slickdeals.net, and fatwallet.com brings up many hits on major manufacturers around these same specs and price.
Old 01-02-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the quick response.

I had no idea where to look.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

yea.. i would start with the bargain sites..
the 3 i listed above would be a good start.. (with fatwallet, try the hot deals forum)
they typically list laptop deals just about daily

that said.. the specs you listed were good, and the price was right.. i just personally feel better with a major manufacturer when it comes to laptops.. since any work on a laptop could cost as much as buying a replacement
Old 01-03-10, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Does he need a 17" ?? That thing will be a beast to lug around. MSI makes pretty good quality computers in general, though I usually see them as more budget friendly ($450 range), at the $550 range you can start getting into name brands (Lenovo, Sony, etc; ) which have a bigger presence in the US and generally are easier to deal with ... at least, Lenovo is (Sony can suck it.) In terms of processors, I try to keep it in the Core 2 Duo family or higher. The T6600 seems to be the big winner in terms of budget laptop processors for the time being.

Example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=T71-15607
or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200027

(Has $44 Bing Cashback too.) Though the MSI has a substantially better graphics card in it ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...54389&CatId=17 would be a preferrable model, imo)

I haven't had to deal with MSI in terms of warranty so I can't comment on that, but I do like them and it is a 3 year warranty. The 17" has a better resolution (1600x900) but I still think it's too big a size to serve as an actual portable laptop. 16" is pushing it for that mater.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-03-10 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-03-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

listen to twikoff

I will add one site to his list

dealnews.com

One reason I like dealnews is that they usually tell you the lowest price they have ever seen for an item, so you know if the deal is red hot or just warm. Since you have time, you might as well get a red hot deal

The only problem with machines from discount sites is they usually have a 1 year warranty to keep them cheap. You should think about upgrading that depending on how well your son takes care of stuff.

and just a PSA for all about laptops and COLD weather, if you leave your laptop outside in 20F weather for several hours, DO NOT bring it into 70F indoor temps and turn it on immediately, let it sit for 3-4 hours to temp adjust before you start it.
Old 01-12-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Just last week I was looking around dealnews and found this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9605383

Ordered it Wednesday, got it today, for well under $500 shipped. I've just finished cleaning up the bloatware and installing Office 2007 and my other preferred apps. It runs like a champ. Posting from it now!
Old 01-12-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say he needs it for school will he be taking it to class?

I just replaced my son's (first year of college) 16" laptop with a 10" netbook. He loves it! 8+ hour battery!

Now this is no good for games, but YouTube, itunes, email, MS Office, etc is all fine. I also have a net book and use it as my main computer now....I love the size and battery life...
Old 01-14-10, 05:31 AM

I suggest you to first get information from price comparison sites like pricerunner or edbpriser. and then decide to buy.