Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

now for my next question about the dvd rom

Old 01-15-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

what type of card are most people using with their dvd rom drive? whats recommended?

Ive got a Guillemot Xentor32 TNT2 Ultra, which supports DVD Playback.. what are the advantages of having a seperate dvd card?

Im very experienced with most aspects of hardware and software, but dont really have experience yet working with dvd rom drives.. so bear with me on this.
Old 01-15-01, 05:31 PM
X
Administrator

I've just been through this whole area.

How fast is your CPU. You probably do not need any hardware decoding and software decoding is superior.
Old 01-15-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you've got a fast enough computer, you don't really need a hardware decoder (in fact, software decoding will look slightly better on the monitor.) But, with a hardware decoder you can easily pass the DVD signal to your TV, or pass a digital sound connection to a 5.1 decoder. Plus, you can actually DO things in the background while a DVD's playing (the card takes virtually all the load off of the CPU...)
Old 01-15-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

my system: 850mhz, 384mb sdram, 58gig harddrive

Ill assume thats fast enough?
Old 01-15-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

quote:
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
If you've got a fast enough computer, you don't really need a hardware decoder (in fact, software decoding will look slightly better on the monitor.) But, with a hardware decoder you can easily pass the DVD signal to your TV, or pass a digital sound connection to a 5.1 decoder. Plus, you can actually DO things in the background while a DVD's playing (the card takes virtually all the load off of the CPU...)

well my video card does have tv out, and my sound card has digital output..

but Im not really planning to use the rom for watching movies on my tv.. i have a home dvd system I watch them on.. I just wanted the dvd rom drive for the dvd rom extras that come with the movies, and because I needed an idea for something else to put in my computer and a dvd drive was one of the few things I could think of

Old 01-15-01, 05:48 PM
X
Administrator

That's way fast enough. Now we have to address what medium you want to use to view your DVD's. A monitor will do fine with your card, I assume (no personal experience). But a TV, RPTV, or FPTV is another matter.

Oops, I guess you just answered that one. I built a home theater computer and the progressive output is quite impressive going into my RPTV.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 06:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by twikoff:
my system: 850mhz, 384mb sdram, 58gig harddrive

Ill assume thats fast enough?

Do you want to trade that for a 466MHz, 256MB (very soon), 30GB + 8GB?

That is plenty fast enough. I run DVDs with software decoding and still able to do other "light" activities without disturbing the DVD.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-15-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was using creative hardware decoder but when I upgraded to Win2000 I discovered that they had no drivers compatible with Win2000.

So I just switched to software (PowerDVD and WinDVD) and haven't had any problems since.

------------------
Regards...
TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-16-01, 08:47 PM

I am using ATI's Radeon 64MD VIVO (video in, video out) graphics card. It has a pretty good dvd player that runs off the graphics card so a separate decoder is not needed.

------------------
DVD wanderer