Reload this Page >

The one and only Apple Tablet thread

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months (years?) of speculations 2010 seems to be the year when we will see the release of the Apple Tablet.

Are you interested in a product like this?

I found this article in macrumors pretty interesting:

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/31/...-apple-tablet/

And so in answer to my central question, regarding why buy The Tablet if you already have an iPhone and a MacBook, my best guess is that ultimately, The Tablet is something you’ll buy instead of a MacBook.

Like all Apple products, The Tablet will do less than we expect but the things it does do, it will do insanely well. It will offer a fraction of the functionality of a MacBook — but that fraction will be way more fun.
For me it has to be something between an iPhone and a Macbook. I won't pay more than $1000 for it, I'm thinking on something between $500 and $800. It can't be an iPod Touch with a 8'' screen. I don't have a Macbook because I already have too many computers, I don't need all that power in a mobile PC. Last year I got a netbook because it was $350 and I liked the portability.

So I'm thinking that the Apple Tablet is going to be something like a netbook, with multitouch capabilities and something else. I expect it to be able to run all the iphone applications and most of the OS X applications, but it won't be able to run more powerful applications, of course.
Old 01-02-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The one and only Apple Tablet thread

I would only get it if it had these 3 features. 1) very lightweight. 2) very long battery life. 3) I can write on it with a pen. I have been looking for a device that has these features that can also be used as a eReader, email/web, and run iPhone apps (although I am not sure if the iPhone apps will have to be changed to support a higher resolution screen, seems like they would have to).
Old 01-04-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to see something like this that runs on the iPhone model with a larger display, something large enough that you could touch-type at a decent speed. Having an e-ink display option would be great as well. USB/Firewire and a sd card slot would be great as well, but knowing Apple that probably won't happen.

If I had something like this, I'd downgrade my iPhone to a regular phone and carry this daily.
Old 01-04-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a convertible notebook/touch screen, and I would be interested in a portable, long battery lifed unit when I go back to school.

8.5" x 11" would be good, so it is easy to take notes on using a stylus (passive would be nice), plus some wifi. Then plenty of drive space to store the files. And of course, cheap!
Old 01-04-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing that would pique my interest is if it has the rumored haptic keyboard. Oh and if it has a docking station with HDMI port and can stream movies/music/photo files, that would make me interested too.
Old 01-05-10, 12:35 AM
Banned by request

Seems to me like it's an updated PDA. It's not a smartphone, since it doesn't make phone calls, and it's not a computer, since it won't have the full functionality of one. Basically it seems like a Netbook without a keyboard, and I've already seen netbooks with touchscreens. They can't include e-ink without sacrificing everything else you'd want it to do, and without e-ink I might as well read books on my laptop. And until these devices start interfacing with other devices through motion, a la Minority Report or Avatar, I'm not seeing much point in having one at present.
Old 01-05-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might be interested as I am currently shopping for a notebook/laptop.

I need something to do photo storage, light processing, web connectivity etc. If it has a card reader or usb port and a dvd burner that would be a plus.
Old 01-05-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So this would be a really large iPhone? I'd be cool with it if 1) the Price is right and 2) it has HDMI out so I can run movies and emulators on it.
Old 01-05-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

next week there will be $300 netbooks that can play HD content with a $2 chip to accelerate it. only reason iphones sell so well is that that prices are the same or less than competing products. the only reason MBP's command their prices is due to apple support and the build quality. iphones have known cracking issues. iMac's have yellow tinting issues and there are reports of packaging issues.

the itablet better be something special if apple is going to ask the prices i'm reading about
Old 01-05-10, 10:52 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If it runs Powerpoint and can (cleanly) do markups during a presentation, I'll buy it at just about any price. My Dell tablet sucks (stray lines everwhere). I'd love to have a tablet for giving presentations that can cleanly accept stylus inputs.
Old 01-05-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will this be WiFi or 3G?

Any device that cannot access the internet is useless, but who will pay for 3G access on a tablet if they already have broadband at home and a smartphone?
Old 01-05-10, 05:35 PM
Banned by request

It may have an optional 3G plan that you can pay for, or you can use wifi for free.
Old 01-05-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait.

Is it going to be like the iPhone that innovated and put Apple ahead of everyone?
Or is it going to be like Apple TV or the Mini that only the apple followers adored?

All the buzz is really positive but until something is released...
Old 01-06-10, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it sounds like a neat toy that has very little practicality. But that's just me.
Old 01-06-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I can't wait.

Is it going to be like the iPhone that innovated and put Apple ahead of everyone?
Or is it going to be like Apple TV or the Mini that only the apple followers adored?
If it is a tablet, I am going to guess the latter.
Old 01-06-10, 03:16 PM

Guess the name:
* iSlate (or variation on Slate)
* iTablet
* iPad
* iBook
* Newton
* iPod
* Apple
* {Write in your guess here}

I'm guessing iBook (in case you are confused, Apple does not currently make a product called iBook, nor one called just iPod for that matter). If Steve Jobs is convinced it is insanely greater than anything they've done before and is betting the Apple farm on it, so to speak, maybe they'll name it just Apple, like the company. I don't think iSlate (Flintstones/Microsoft associations), iPad (Kotex) or iTablet (one syllable too many).
Old 01-06-10, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
...I'm not seeing much point in having one at present.
I've seen plenty of comments like this, and I just don't see how any of can say it, as we can't guess what it can do. IMO, El Jobso wouldn't agree to release is unless it does something no previous product has done. It won't be an overgrown iPhone/iPod Touch/Newton. It will be something new.

I see myself getting one as an eBook reader, if, when Apple gets the book industry to change/drop their Kindle (and similar) DRM policy. The DRM policy they currently have is a sick joke. Until it at least matches the iTunes DRM policy, I have no intention of participating in that market.
Old 01-06-10, 03:27 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
I'm guessing iBook (in case you are confused, Apple does not currently make a product called iBook, nor one called just iPod for that matter).
iBook is too confusing, given the previous products with the same name.

iGuide and iSlate were the two names that apple had indirectly secured URLs and rights for (source: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/iguide-islate/). Probably going to be one of those.
Old 01-06-10, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

I've seen plenty of comments like this, and I just don't see how any of can say it, as we can't guess what it can do. IMO, El Jobso wouldn't agree to release is unless it does something no previous product has done. It won't be an overgrown iPhone/iPod Touch/Newton. It will be something new.
You're right, we don't yet know what it can do. But for $1000 (or close to that), it had better do more than my laptop and my cellphone combined, and I don't think Apple can deliver that at this moment.

I see myself getting one as an eBook reader, if, when Apple gets the book industry to change/drop their Kindle (and similar) DRM policy. The DRM policy they currently have is a sick joke. Until it at least matches the iTunes DRM policy, I have no intention of participating in that market.
The book industry isn't into DRM, only Amazon. The Nook doesn't force DRM, for example. Also, given how many dedicated e-readers are coming out at a much lower price point, I'd rather get one of those than an Apple tablet.
Old 01-06-10, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
...The book industry isn't into DRM, only Amazon. The Nook doesn't force DRM, for example...
I find that hard to believe -- I thought any major's publisher's books on the Nook are every bit as DRMed as on the Kindle -- indeed the Nook was advertising that it would allow you to lend books -- but only once per book ever, for some limited amount of time.

While there is a good chance the $1000 leaked (on purpose) from Apple, it may be a head fake, so when they announce a lower price on the 27th people will think their getting a bargain. That, or I'm turning into a conspiracy theorist
Old 01-06-10, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mbs View Post
iBook is too confusing, given the previous products with the same name.

iGuide and iSlate were the two names that apple had indirectly secured URLs and rights for (source: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/iguide-islate/). Probably going to be one of those.
I'd forgotten about iGuide, probably because it makes no sense to me, thanks for bringing it up. You're probably right about iBook, but I'm just not too enamored by the other possibilities.

With iPhone, it was obvious, no matter how much people jumped up and down to point out that Cisco owned the trademark, so it couldn't happen -- there was just no other name nearly as good.

This time around he choice isn't nearly so clear. But Apple's names do end up growing on me. I HATED MacBook (Pro) compared to iBook/PowerBook. Now PowerBook sounds strange and MacBook rolls off the tongue...
Old 01-06-10, 06:49 PM
Banned by request

I find that hard to believe -- I thought any major's publisher's books on the Nook are every bit as DRMed as on the Kindle -- indeed the Nook was advertising that it would allow you to lend books -- but only once per book ever, for some limited amount of time.
Let me clarify: On the Nook (and almost all other ereaders), the DRM is set by the publisher. On the Kindle, every book you buy from Amazon is wrapped in Amazon's DRM. The Nook (and almost all other ereaders) also allows for side-loading content from sites other than B&N, regardless of its DRM status.