Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Blackberry Bold or the iPhone...help please?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-01-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been having a tough time with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got the Bold 9700, some call it the Onyx (I think) or just the Bold 2.

There are a lot of things that I like about it. Mail, The camera is terrific and the built in flash makes a big difference. I've seen people make comments that are like "if you care about good pics, use your digital camera." Well, I'm a guy. I don't carry a purse and often I do find myself in situations where the phone is all I have to get a decent picture of someone or someplace. Of course, the video on the 9700 supposedly is really bad with low volume.

I don't want the iphone to be cool or for apps. If anything, I'm most concerned about not having a qwerty keypad, so I'm not trying to get the cool model for the sake of having the cool model.

But, I have a disabling condition in my knees. Walking is getting more and more difficult. I really was hoping that my phone would be able to not only be helpful when I'm out, but keep me from having to go to my home office all the time for the real internet experience and the browsers on the blackberry are pretty horrible on a nice screen but still not that big-mostly to allow for the keypad, I suspect. I've heard that this Safari browser thing is easily the best browser out there and is like using one on your computer. Mail and internet is basically the highest priority. Most tech reviews say nothing can come close to touching it.

I'm losing battery life and the touch keypad and the best camera phone I've seen yet (I'm sure they'll all get better eventually).

But I know there's a zoom app for the iphone and they claim there's a flash one too, though I hardly think it could work like a real flash. You can take a pic with my 9700 in a dark room.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? If just being able to check my mail and write back people and use the internet like a computer, would giving up the great things about the Bold 9700 be the best way to go?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-10, 11:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Blackberry Bold or the iPhone...help please?

If you can get use the iPhone touch keyboard, I'd say go for the iPhone. The multimedia capabilities are awesome and tons of decent and useful apps out there. I found the flash on the blackberry bold wasn't that good either. Surfing on the iphone is way easier too.
Old 01-01-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you considered any of the droid phones?

I've come to loathe apple products now so I try to avoid them the best I can.
Old 01-01-10, 11:58 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flash apps for the iPhone are just software effects to lighten up the picture - and I should add that they do this amazingly well most of the time, but they are not the same as the flash you get from a real camera, or with the Bold.

One more thing about keyboards. When I was looking for a smartphone several months ago, I insisted on a real QWERTY keyboard because I thought I couldn't type effectively without one. I've actually grown to really hate it. The keys are tiny and too close to each other, and the tactile feedback is terrible.

I started using an iPod Touch last month, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy and fast I can type on the virtual keyboard. It also makes the device thinner, which is also a big plus for me. I'd never go back to a real keyboard again

Last edited by Psi; 01-02-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-02-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iPhone
Old 01-02-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I ordered a Droid phone after playing with a relative's phone over the holiday. I love the real keyboard. After playing with the virtual keyboard of my iPod Touch for a couple years, the real keyboard was eye-opening. Can never go back.
Old 01-02-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Droid.
Old 01-02-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk God

I have the iphone and don't think much of the internet capabilities, but I don't really have anything to compare it to other than a laptop. The screen is too small to really be useful for me, but it helps kill time. I don't mind the keyboard touchpad, but I don't know any different. The camera isn't much, but that is a very low priority for me.

There....I have given no help at all.
Old 01-02-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I have the iphone and don't think much of the internet capabilities, but I don't really have anything to compare it to other than a laptop. The screen is too small to really be useful for me, but it helps kill time. I don't mind the keyboard touchpad, but I don't know any different. The camera isn't much, but that is a very low priority for me.

There....I have given no help at all.
That's ok dave, we've learned to not get too disappointed with your threads by now. Unless of course it involves shooting a dog or your wifes horse. Those are usually pretty good.
Old 01-02-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AT&T is giving me the phone of my choice at no charge, so, while I don't think they're great and the things that I hear confirm that, it's the Bold 9700 or the iphone. No Droid.

My sister, who lives out of state, has the iphone and her husband has the Droid. They've been playing with each other's phones to check out the features and they both told me there are pros and cons with each, but both feel the iphone is slightly better. My sister is more emphatic, but she likes playing with every app she can find and that's not me.

More and more, people are saying the touchscreen keyboard is better. Can you hold down one letter to get it to become capitalized? Can you copy and paste?

I really do love the camera, but it's the surfing the net part I NEED. If I can get the two apps for zooming and flash (even if it's just decent, although it would seem without real light, it's just playing with the image which wouldn't make it look very good, but whatever), that would probably help me a lot.

I just find the browsers on the Bold 9700 fairly inadequate and I'm going in to the store to mess around with it next week to make my final decision.

I thought getting as many opinions of the pros and cons here, along with the reviews I've read, would really help me a lot in making the right choice.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a 3gs and a blackberry. The iPhone keyboard is a lot easier to type on since you can do it in landscape.

And the iPhone has more apps that are useful than the droid. Even my 2 year old prefers the iPhone over the blackberry
Old 01-02-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since I got the iPhone, I barely use my laptop anymore. I do almost all my Internet surfing on the iPhone. Of course, I have good eye sight, so the small screen doesn't bother me at all...
Old 01-02-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO there are better phones than the iPhone. But there are few if any that are easy to use, intuitive (tho some will disagree with this) and that have more apps than all others combined. So many apps it almost seems some are customized just for you!

In recent years I used a Treo and BB (tho not as fancy as the new touch screen one's). My Treo could do Office apps and such. But I really enjoy my iPhone. I've had it almost two years. I got it almost on a whim. All the phones I was looked at were in the $150-$200 range and I thought for the heck of it, I'd get the iPhone. Figured if I didn't like it, I'd figure out a way to give it to one of the kids.

I really enjoy it. I travel a lot so the built in iPod, GPS is great! I no longer carry an iPod. When stuck on planes or at airports I can watch a movie or read Kindle books (thanks to the app). Even tho I'm modertly geeky, I like the fact that the unit is easy to use and one touch usually gets you where you want to go.

I haven't played with any of the new phones. But I'm very pleased after almost 2 years with my iPhone.
Old 01-02-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
AT&T is giving me the phone of my choice at no charge, so, while I don't think they're great and the things that I hear confirm that, it's the Bold 9700 or the iphone. No Droid.

My sister, who lives out of state, has the iphone and her husband has the Droid. They've been playing with each other's phones to check out the features and they both told me there are pros and cons with each, but both feel the iphone is slightly better. My sister is more emphatic, but she likes playing with every app she can find and that's not me.

More and more, people are saying the touchscreen keyboard is better. Can you hold down one letter to get it to become capitalized? Can you copy and paste?

I really do love the camera, but it's the surfing the net part I NEED. If I can get the two apps for zooming and flash (even if it's just decent, although it would seem without real light, it's just playing with the image which wouldn't make it look very good, but whatever), that would probably help me a lot.

I just find the browsers on the Bold 9700 fairly inadequate and I'm going in to the store to mess around with it next week to make my final decision.

I thought getting as many opinions of the pros and cons here, along with the reviews I've read, would really help me a lot in making the right choice.

Thanks.
I've actually owned both the Bold and the iPhone 3GS (I went from iPhone edge to Bold to 3Gs). If surfing the web is the most important part, go with the iphone. The browsing on the iphone is out of this world. When I owned the Bold I thought the browsing was adequate. It gets the job done for sure, but it just doesn't compare to browsing on the iphone.

As far as the keyboard, you'll get used to it. You will. There is copy/paste and capitalization is easy enough.

Blackberry is better with email and the flash on the camera is a nice thing to have and something that's missing from the iphone and while there are apps that "add" flash, none of them really do it as well as a real flash does. Zooming is also something missing from the iPhone and again its something that can be replicated with an app and eventually Apple will release as software update that will let you zoom.

Of course the best part of the iphone are the apps and while it may not be important to you now, I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful apps.
Old 01-02-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the iPhone is the most user-friendly device on the market. Not that I've used many others, mind you, but it's certainly attractive and extremely simple to use. Hell, if both my parents can figure it out and enjoy it that says something. Browsing in landscape mode is the only way to do it, imo.
Old 01-02-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I've actually owned both the Bold and the iPhone 3GS (I went from iPhone edge to Bold to 3Gs). If surfing the web is the most important part, go with the iphone. The browsing on the iphone is out of this world. When I owned the Bold I thought the browsing was adequate. It gets the job done for sure, but it just doesn't compare to browsing on the iphone.

As far as the keyboard, you'll get used to it. You will. There is copy/paste and capitalization is easy enough.

Blackberry is better with email and the flash on the camera is a nice thing to have and something that's missing from the iphone and while there are apps that "add" flash, none of them really do it as well as a real flash does. Zooming is also something missing from the iPhone and again its something that can be replicated with an app and eventually Apple will release as software update that will let you zoom.

Of course the best part of the iphone are the apps and while it may not be important to you now, I'm sure you'll find plenty of useful apps.
Thanks (and to everyone else that shared)!

This thread has pretty much settled it for me. Unless I get into the store and find something about the iPhone that I can't imagine right now, I'm sold and will just exchange the Bold for the iPhone. It's on AT&T and they gave me 30 days to decide on one or the other.

So, I'm picking up the new phone Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Think I'll miss the flash more than anything else. You can take pics in a dark room. Not that you would do that, but it's really that good of a feature.
Old 01-02-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
IMO there are better phones than the iPhone. But there are few if any that are easy to use, intuitive (tho some will disagree with this) and that have more apps than all others combined. So many apps it almost seems some are customized just for you!

In recent years I used a Treo and BB (tho not as fancy as the new touch screen one's). My Treo could do Office apps and such. But I really enjoy my iPhone. I've had it almost two years. I got it almost on a whim. All the phones I was looked at were in the $150-$200 range and I thought for the heck of it, I'd get the iPhone. Figured if I didn't like it, I'd figure out a way to give it to one of the kids.

I really enjoy it. I travel a lot so the built in iPod, GPS is great! I no longer carry an iPod. When stuck on planes or at airports I can watch a movie or read Kindle books (thanks to the app). Even tho I'm modertly geeky, I like the fact that the unit is easy to use and one touch usually gets you where you want to go.

I haven't played with any of the new phones. But I'm very pleased after almost 2 years with my iPhone.

What he said.
Old 01-02-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go with an Android phone, there are several with physical keyboards. I think they are much better than the iPhone. And I think on-screen keyboards are absolutely brutal. I'd rather type on a tiny tactile Palm Centro keyboard than a landscaped touchscreen.
Old 01-02-10, 07:50 PM
Banned

The Blackberry Bold 9700 is the best phone on the market for texting, emailing and messaging.
Old 01-02-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Thanks (and to everyone else that shared)!

This thread has pretty much settled it for me. Unless I get into the store and find something about the iPhone that I can't imagine right now, I'm sold and will just exchange the Bold for the iPhone. It's on AT&T and they gave me 30 days to decide on one or the other.

So, I'm picking up the new phone Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Think I'll miss the flash more than anything else. You can take pics in a dark room. Not that you would do that, but it's really that good of a feature.

There are thousands of photo retouching apps that will do pretty much anything
Old 01-02-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

iphone, hands down.
Old 01-02-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The iPhone's pretty amazing, but the Google Nexus One is going to be officially announced on the 4th. Can you wait a couple of days? Android's the way of the future, IMO.
Old 01-02-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would've gotten the iPhone if not for it being attached to AT&T.
Old 01-02-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a 3GS, but my opinion might not be as helpful since it's the only smartphone I've used. Prior to owning it I had a razr and a very old school Nokia before that.

I agree that AT&T is definitely the worst part of the phone, but other than that it has been a revelation. I didn't think ATT would be a problem since I never had trouble with them on my old phones. But with the iPhone I find I get dropped calls frequently enough to be annoying. I also notice I sometimes have to dial a number several times for the call to go through, not to mention the random network drops that sometimes happen - "Searching...". The positive aspects of the iPhone far outweigh these annoyances, however.

You say you aren't interested in apps, but I guarantee you'll be all over the app store if you get one. There's tons of useful stuff out there aside from the many gimmicky fart apps - and really cool games too if you're into that sort of thing. I don't play them too often, but they're fun time-wasters.

Internet browsing is fantastic (aside from the obvious limitations of a small screen which you really can't avoid with the competition). However I've found that most websites I read regularly have RSS feeds, so you can use one of the numerous RSS reader apps which greatly streamline the experience. I wish there was something similar for web forums.

The keyboard takes some getting used to, but I'm perfectly happy with it and can type out stuff pretty quickly. Mistakes are easy to correct, and the software is sophisticated enough that if you misspell common words on accident they are automatically corrected. Some people complain that you have to look at the screen while you type, but I can hardly believe that people with tiny physical keyboards are able to type without looking.

iPhone's camera (at least the 3GS), I think is excellent. It might not have a high MP count, but it takes very nice, clear, and detailed photographs. Video recording is outstanding too. There also a couple superb apps for photo and video editing that honestly blow my mind, considering they run on such a small device.

Overall I just love how easy and pain-free it is to use, especially the iTunes syncing and connectivity. Very easy to update and transfer files back and forth. With the 32GB HD it really feels like a computer in your pocket. Also nice to be able to browse the iTunes and app stores and get stuff right from your phone. Easy to mess with the settings on the iPhone as well, with more than enough options to satisfy the average user.

GPS is also amazingly easy and useful.

Plus, the device itself is beautiful (especially the white version - yum) and feels so natural to hold in your hand.

I think a lot of people who don't like the iPhone get too caught up with their preconceived notions about Apple's trendy corporate image and branding.

Other smartphones have really gotten better, but I have yet to see anything match the high quality of the iPhone's user experience.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 01-02-10 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I prefer Blackberry, but then again web browsing on my phone has never been a concern for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.