Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How To Stream Music To My HT

Old 01-15-01, 07:59 PM

Hello, PC Forum users. I usually post in the DVD Hardware forum, so this is my first post here.

I was wondering what your opinion was on the best method to get audio from my PC to my HT receiver. I only have a SoundBlaster PCI64 in my computer, and I was interested in some sort of wireless transmission (which would probably have to be RF, I'm assuming, since my PC and HT are seperated by a couple walls and around 150ft of space).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-15-01, 08:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

X10 has a system designed specifically for this. It's called Entertainment Anywhere (or something similar) and is about $80. Does the wireless transmission and is rated for 50ft or so. Go to www.x10.com for more details.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-15-01, 09:35 PM

Wow. I have x10 lights and outlets and never even saw this cool device. Thanks, Jason. I did have a specific question about it, though. Hopefully you'll be able to help me out.

Will the 2.4GHz transmission cause any interference with my 2.4GHz cordless phone? The base for the phone is near the HT.

------------------
"PC Load Letter?!?"

The Widescreen FAQ
My Home Theater
My Growing DVD Collection
Old 01-16-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the x10 system and a Siemans 2.4ghz cordless. They don't get along well at all, I get a lot of static if the phone is on and trying to use the system. My solution: I used an appliance module to shut the phone off if I wanted to stream mp3's to my stereo. With the phone powered off, the sound is not to bad, but I do get intermittant static, notably when I use the microwave. Being in an apartment complex, I think I pick up various stuff like that from the neighbors to. All in all, it's not to bad, make sure you get the dvd anywhere version, as it appears they have 3 versions of the same product with different prices. The dvd-anywhere, mp3-anywhere and the wireless video sender are the 3, and they have identical specs and appearance. I got the dvd-anywhere because it was the cheapest at $70, plus a $30 GC to x10, so the net cost was $40.

Dave